Do you like Media in Our Chat?

Discussion in 'Forum News and Updates' started by SAiNT, Sep 18, 2015.

?

Do you think Media should be Disabled

Poll closed Sep 26, 2015.
  1. No, leave it as it is

27 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. Disable it, I can click on links if I'm interested

18 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. SAiNT

SAiNT Creator Staff Member phonometrograph

Do you think Media should be Disabled in chat? So instead of loading all the media automatically, you would have to click a link to load it (that is if you interested).

Need your opinion.

media in chat.jpg

UPD: ok, so whether it's good or bad, poll results show that we're leaving the media.
    however, i hope that in the future there will be an option available for every user, to disable the media :yes:

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
    • Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  3. ned944

ned944 Moderator Staff Member

4. xsze

xsze Guest

It slows everything down, so I disabled it, in all fairness, I'm not chatting, so my opinion shouldn't even count, I found my solution already, guess just adding other sides reasoning to the table. :mates:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  5. Zeus

Zeus Moderator

I've discovered many stuff that members posted, so I would miss it.
    It's more convenient in my opinion to play the media directly from the shoutbox than clicking on any link, opening a new tab (I've already many tabs opened) :yes:

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

You know how I feel so I won't reiterate it here. What I will say is that I've asked people not to post too many media items back to back, though I'm sure that I've gotten carried away myself at times. We can also go with my idea of creating a media room but that segregates the chat which isn't too great. [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  7. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro Staff Member

Links-only would make everything cleaner and faster, and also we won't be identified as referrer (which does apply to embedded media). That is after we implement referrer-free redirection, of course. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  8. SAiNT

SAiNT Creator Staff Member phonometrograph

disabling it only means that instead of preloaded video or a huge 5mb GIF you will see a link to that material, so you can choose whether you want to open it or not.

the reason for this poll is that not every member use chat, but they all have to load tons of media when browsing the main page. :sad:

yes, but i had to ask members :winker:

i really don't see what's the big difference - that media will be only one click away. and those members who chat will click on it if they want.

ideally, i hope that this issue will be solved with further updates by adding an option to choose whether you want to see media embedded or just a link. but for now, let's see what the poll says in 7 days :yes:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  9. Mr_Amine

Mr_Amine Rock Star

only thing that will be great if the YouTube videos could fit with window Chat

10. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

It's cool to have some random background music :wink: A.K.A the audiosex jukebox :metal:

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  11. Xyenz Fyxion

Xyenz Fyxion Producer

Peace, SAiNT.

I like logging on and seeing what is being posted. I've listened to new music because I've seen it right in front of me. And, the poster did the work of finding images. I don't want to have to click and go elsewhere just to see a gif or jpeg. I like the media front and center. I have noticed a slight slow-down from a barrage of media. I think it's worth repeating and keeping in mind that we should limit the media we upload to a moderate amount (however much that is). I'm a numbers man. So, if someone knows the math, let me know.

12. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

alternative, could open a "what have you been listening to lately" thread monthly instead of one that
    bumps indefinitely... closing the previous month's additions like an archive. Neither option would prevent
    double posting of vids anyway, that I'm aware of...

13. Kookaboo

Kookaboo Rock Star

:beg: Please, please SAINT do offer a disabling option. :beg:
    Every time someone puts Images or Gifs - hosted @ Imgur - or similar, and also
    youtube-clips my browser goes tilt=nuts, i cannot even login or load another page...
    ...the browser takes ages to load. Not acceptable for a modern site.
    It's the folks that don't know enough about posting small sized images,
    some post even direct links to huge wallpapers or heavy Gifs! :snuffy:
    I've reported it a couple of times in the chat but nothing has been done.
    Thank you!

Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. e-minor

e-minor Platinum Record

I like the media in the chat as well. Although I suppose having an option to disable it aint a bad idea if it causes issues for some users (See above)...

15. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

I love the media in chat. When someone posts up some of their own work and I can just click it and continue chatting without having to worry about new tabs or youtube loading a follow-up video every time. I don't have the faintest idea what kind of coding work would go into this, but my vote goes for a disable option. Or of course just keep it altogether.

Stop persecuting me, slow internet guys :)

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. NicoDPS

NicoDPS Platinum Record

I've a shitty internet connection, so I vote for the disable option.

17. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

Media in the chat clutters up the chat and disturbs the reading experience. Plus, I want to decide myself what I see before I see it - not possible with an auto-load chat on the landing page.

18. lluisxvi

lluisxvi Ultrasonic

me too!

19. Graf

Graf Platinum Record

hmm, I have a two fold answer. for myself I like the media in. because the audiosex chat is like a coffeehouse anytime I stop in I know I can find something cool playing, and some cool cats hangin around. it doesn't seem to bog down my crappy pc
    that being said, if the links would make it a better experience for more cats, then lets do links. or give guys the option in profile

20. BumBcL0t

BumBcL0t Producer

Media in the chat is cool for sharing Soundcloud links etc... but when people string together like 5-6 YouTube videos it kinda floods it out and makes it hard to read.

21. Gramofon

Gramofon Producer

I guess I'm one of the biggest "offenders" if not THE offender (although I usually post YT vids as simple links if there are many) and try to abstain from breaking up the text too much. Maybe add a resize option for everything? Even those that fit in the chat. I have a bigger slow-down from ads compared to media in the chat. That should at least take care of the "real estate" issue. Then again, if it's an image it may not be discernible so you'd have to take extra steps again.

For me, it will be more steps to open in new tab, change, view, then close it. It also depends on how many there are and if there's any active discussion going on.

So, yeah, I don't really care. It's supposed to be useful and/or fun. If people think it's annoying then, by all means, disable it. I wouldn't like anyone to feel "forced" to disable the chat because of the media (and their content) or if they like/want only the text/discussions. Of course, an option to to keep it on or off "by member" would be ideal but it may also require more resources.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List