Anyone reformat their Komplete 10 Ultimate SSD to use as storage?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Thuncke, Jul 23, 2020.

1. Thuncke

Thuncke Kapellmeister

Hello,

My desktop has died (I would like to ask for help, but another time) and so I am using a Surface Pro 6 with a 128gb (117 usuable) SSD. Space is tight and so recently I have wondered if i could reformat the KU10 ssd i have gathering dust from buying the boxed version ages ago.

All of my NI stuff is accessable through Native Access, meaning i havent had to use that HD for years now.

I had a look around online and others have asked the question over at the NI site. NI staff responded saying that you cant reformat, but im not entirely sure why. They say you will lose your installer - but i dont need it. They say it would void the warrenty on it, but its out of warrenty now. I could use that 500gb so bad, surely there is a way to reformat? Has anyone else done this sucessfully?

All the best :)

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  3. Thuncke

Thuncke Kapellmeister

Just for the record, I went ahead and reformatted my K10 Ultimate SSD and it works like a charm. This confims my distaste for NI as they made out that it couldnt be done, it took literally seconds using windows reformat option when right click on drive. As its K10 everything is accessable via native access.

All the best

• Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. audiozuser76

audiozuser76 Producer

Nowadays you can get 2TB external HDD for ca. $50.
    So don't waste your & our time with topic about tweaking old 500GB HDD from Native Instruments.
    It's just not worth the time & the risk, even when you can successfully format it & use it as storage.
    Maybe soon the old shit will stop working & you will lose all your stored data.
    If the shit are trouble full to format, throw the shit away.

• Dislike Dislike x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  5. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

I'm glad you figured it out. Yes, it's a HD just like any other, and it's 2.5" so you can transport it around and connect easily when needed. I think it's USB 2.0, though, so I would go as far to suggest changing the chassis for a faster USB 3.0 one, or one of those USB 3.0 cables for 2.5" HDs.

There's a difference between 2.5" and 3.5" HDs: usually 2.5" are a bit slower, but a 3.5" HD can't be connected that easily to a laptop and it's far bulkier and noisier. Great that you can use your NI Komplete HD for storing samples, rather than sitting on the shelve collecting dust. Since it hasn't been used much, it's like a brand new HD. :wink:

6. Vader

Vader Platinum Record

Actually, there are HDD 2,5" that have a 7500 rpm. I know that because I own 5.

Now back on the OP question... Yes you can, but you could get an SSD or a cheap 2TB external HDD (like audiozuser76 mention) and get better performances.
    If you go to the external HDD, try to find one with 7.500 rpm USB 3.0/1

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
  7. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

And higher. 10000+. Unless it's just for 3.5, I can't remember.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. HorusAnd

HorusAnd Member

3.5" disk are typically faster real world even if the RPM is the same. Usually because they require a power adapter which translates to faster write speeds (not sure why). I have a couple 8-10 year old 4tb WD backup drives that out perform all 2.5" drives that I've bought over the last 5 years. I even have the new WD Black 4tb gaming drive which is faster than any 2.5" I've ever used and it's still slower than my super old 4tb WD backup drives even though on paper it should be faster.

@audiozuser76 comment was really aggressive but there's some validity. A 4tb 2.5" at 7500rpm costs under $100. Last one I bought was $89.
    If you want an external SSD, buying the drive and the enclosure separately will save you money albeit quite a bit larger than something like a Samsung T5

9. Thuncke

Thuncke Kapellmeister

Thanks for the responses. I should have just done it without asking on here.

$50 is a lot right now, i literally dont have that, and that can be seriously depressing. Audiouser, you are a troll and a bit of a dickhead.I hope you can heal whatever pain it is in you so you can stop spreading your negativity online.

I am aware of the prices of hds. I literally dont have any disposable income to buy one, hence i got excited at the idea of recycling the NI one. If i had the cash id have bought one. Prices of HDs had nothing to do with my question. I appreciate the nicer comments on the topic though.

I know enough about this stuff though and should have known better than to ask.

Happy to have the thread deleted as was such a basic and pointless question.

10. Smoove Grooves

Nooo. We are your friends! :mates: Forget about any negativity that we saw.
    If NI had lied to me as they did to you, I would have checked with people here too!
    Glad you have a nice usable SSD now!
    Have fun.

11. Bandit

Bandit Producer

Yeah I did. But just use it for storage. Works fine for me. I double back up all my important stuff (I do not want to loose)

12. Gyro Gearloose

Gyro Gearloose Audiosexual

i hate to do this but

Bermuda Triangle

rating this opinion as nasty , is very very nasty of you
    write something instead of your offensive ratings
    and dont make the board bla bla

and it was not aggressive like someone said
    its an valid opinion...nothing more or less

wtf

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. Smoove Grooves

Yeah, not really aggresive, but this:
    is a bit pointless, especially 'after the horse has bolted'. If I was the op, I wouldn't like it. Just sayin'.
    Agreed, Bermuda Triangle is giving unnecessary ratings though!

14. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

Where? A 4TB 2.5 spinning @7200RPM is extremely rare. I can't even remember seeing one for sale, much less at that low price.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  15. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

Those do exist but I think they top out at around 1.5TB. A WD VelociRaptor WD1000DHTZ, and Seagate ST1200MM0008 are good examples.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  16. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

17. audiokiller

audiokiller Newbie

Thuncke: "Just for the record, I went ahead and reformatted my K10 Ultimate SSD and it works like a charm."
    It is perfectly normal to reformat any disks if they do not have hardware protection against any write, which is easily can be checked.
    audiozuser76: "So don't waste your & our time with topic about tweaking old 500GB HDD from Native Instruments."
    It is very "reasonable", "smart" and "kind" to arrogantly give order another person what they should do, blame him for wasting someone else's time just because leaving a request for help, and at the same time to recommend buying a disk without even knowing what the person's budget is and whats real reason behind request.

18. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

The big problem is not with the rating but the lack of explanation by everyone that gave negative rating to @audiozuser76 with the exception of @audiokiller who then gave @Gyro Gearloose one without also explaining why. We are off topic here but I just want to say that when we all start asking for written explanations from those handing out those "nasties", "dislikes" and "disagrees" they will think twice about being so swift in issuing them. So @audiokiller what is so "nasty" about what @Gyro Gearloose wrote?

19. audiokiller

audiokiller Newbie

SineWave: "There's a difference between 2.5" and 3.5" HDs: usually 2.5" are a bit slower, but a 3.5" HD can't be connected that easily to a laptop and it's far bulkier and noisier."
    Also, 2.5" are much less reliable and lives less, as far as I found out from the repair shops.
    The Pirate: "The big problem is not with the rating but the lack of explanation by everyone that gave negative rating"
    There is nothing in the forum rules to explain a negative rating. But if you still want to know why I put a negative rating on Gyro Gearloose - his comment is only offtopic, and it does not carry anything on the topic of hard drives that are important for the person who started the topic.

20. Thuncke

Thuncke Kapellmeister

Didnt mean to cause all the too and fro-ing. I shouldnt have called audiouser a dickhead, haha. I was tired and I had seen other posts where they seemed to be playing contentious for laughs, maybe not though. Anyway, the HD is working sound, I can get on with making tunes and I appreciate the community here. All the best everyone. I do admit though its not a very intersting thread, though maybe it will help someone else in the future. I like this forum, even when it gets a bit hot, i just usualy avoid getting involved as I stand nothing to gain from arguing with people with similar interets on a board for said interests haha. Have a good evening everyone :)

21. Thuncke

Thuncke Kapellmeister

Lastly, for the record, please see the following from NI:

https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/210271705

which led me to asking. There is another page on their support pages where two users explicitly ask if they can do what i have done, and NI support just keep saying you cant do that. Though i feel they would know fine they could but where just saying not to. I mean with native access there really is no danger in losing all your installers..And i get what they are saying about voiding warrenty, its not a super fast drive etc, but when the drive had been used once almost 6 years ago, ill hedge my bets ill get a bit of use out of it till i can afford more backups! Anyway, i feel thats enough of this as on further looking on the NI forum there are discussions i must have missed which clears it all up. Thanks to everyone for chiming in

Peace