"Your copy of FabFilter Timeless 3 appears to be pirated ....." LOL

Discussion in 'Software' started by ByFire17, May 25, 2021.

1. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Guest

Really? Oh dear. Try asking why I said what I did instead of assumptions. :rofl:I have been in this game probably before you were an itch in your daddy's pants. Show us your amazing creations that validate you being able to say something so arrogant. You know, the creations that are so unique and do not sound like a billion other wannabe's out there. Hilarious. I know you cannot be very good or knowledgeable because somebody great would not say something so arrogant, they'd know who they are and have no need to prove it by crapping on others or they would politely PM someone rather than trying to assert their own ego by assuming someone knows nothing, then crapping on them because they assumed.

P.S - Considering you think I'm so naive, why do you think I'm one of next to none who have not had this issue? Because I firewall blocked all vst2 and vst3 from communicating outside of my internal network. Standard practice for anyone who does know the game.

Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  2. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Guest

I totally agree with try before you buy. Everyone seems to have completely missed the point which is if you create something you think people might want, whether that's an instrument, a car, a technology, a plugin...whatever product... and say they put years of work into it.... sure, it may well get pirated, but why are so many people who got a copy of a pirated plugin upset because the person that created it put protection on it? If anyone here lived in a high theft area, that's like saying "Why should I put locks on my doors and windows?"... FFS.

Software is a high theft area too in its own way. Of course a decent piece of software will have protection, that's to be expected. If it was crap nobody would want to try and steal it, that's simple logic. The level of that protection varies but if they're selling it, they do want to try to protect it and that is their right. So no point anyone getting upset because they have - Get pirated software, live with what you get as you insinuated in one way or another.
    It's pretty standard what they did... ET call home has been in software since they worked out how to do it in the 90s when the Internet started gaining momentum.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. famouslut

famouslut Audiosexual

I rly don't care what happens to T3 @BaSsDuDe, I wanted to check out one thing (diffuse) but it's not as good as Replika, for that. Or for much else, rly. I dunno, it was fine to have a chance to try it out, but until I get enough time to RTFM, I doubt I'll use it long enough. Well, long enough to get a timebomb, anyway =D It was easy enough to snake oil my way thru Replika; and gives more controllable results. I've heard T3 looks pretty, tho?

Anyway, nothing is lost by replication; that's how you can tell it's different to "theft", dude! (Also, I think Howard was talking about the edit: VST making "game", not the music biz?)

Again: I'm still assuming you don't make VST/i, my only assumption, @BaSsDuDe? If you own Fapvilter, your posts are starting to make more sense, now...

Last edited: May 26, 2021
  4. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

completely ignoring the arguments, and back to the topic or something useful, what do you exactly mean by blocking each single VSTs from connecting to the internet, and do you care to share how you did it ? I blocked all the DAWs using windows firewall (blocking each DAW exe file on the outbound connection section) and then for this Timeless 3 i even added fabfilter to the hosts file block list (I browse using VPN anyway) but still getting bombed hard (by timeless 3 only, other FF releases already been tamed). I also restarted my machine and my internet connection after the setup if you are wondering. I can go back to Echo Boy (my go to) but as OCD as most of us here, we just want everything to be in order, smooth and perfect. I'm new to the game!

5. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Guest

I've been involved in recording for decades since before the first vst @famouslut - So my point of assumptions is absolutely correct.

6. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

reminds me a famous story about someone that got cancer suing the cigarettes company for not properly telling that the smokers can get cancer from smoking. That person won the battle in court. It's a film or something, can't remember properly, getting old.

7. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Guest

Unless you want a massive registry lecture, no and one screwup and it won't work... BUT I will give an easy way manually...

Go to your firewall outbound rules (advanced), and yes you can select programs - When it does not show up (because it's looking for an exe) - type * in the file, select Fabfilter timeless3.vst - do the same for vst 2. I'll do it so you can see it is possible...
    Ok... back..
    upload_2021-5-26_13-23-42.png

Keep in mind, if it has already stamped it during a cyclic redundancy check as illegal, this will likely not work. It's the first thing you do after installing, not after it logs as flawed because it will likely stay flawed. It's already gone outside, it probably won't again. So unless you can remove every footprint and cleanly, you may have issues reinstalling and avoiding the same issue. I have opened it and closed it maybe 30 times - no issues.

P.S - No vst should theoretically go outside of your DAW without your permission. Subscription models are hated for this very reason.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  8. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

might not work for me now that it already declared war on me with the first timebomb. Sigh. I'll try to uninstall and check the registry and see if I could clean it all up, reinstall and add to the firewall. Will report back if it works, could be useful for others. Thanks.

9. Obineg

Obineg Platinum Record

first they complain about the download site, then they complain about the cracker, then they complain about the author.

what are they doing for the world?

10. famouslut

famouslut Audiosexual

Music, @Obineg !

It gave me a couple of timebombs w/ vst3, @Stevie Dude. I went thru and deleted both the .dll and the .vst3 after a thorough search and carefully c/p the patched ones into their proper places. It may have had something to do w/ symlinks, I dunno. The vst2 hasn't ever timebombed. But I think they are exactly the same file!? I dunno what gives, rly. I haven't had any time bombs since then, but I've only used vst2.

Also: I don't think it has much to do w/ whether you're online or offline? Short of pulling cables, I was offline.

Is: "They're rich af so they do not need the money" a satisfactory one, my dude? :P

Last edited: May 26, 2021
  11. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Guest

If you have a great registry cleaner that removes all irrelevant entries, after you uninstall, do that before reinstalling.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Guest

The thing is @famouslut not all are. In fact the developer probably got a one-off payment if that. The corporation that owns it may be but not all developers are - that's the scummy thing about a lot of development - they tend to lose any intellectual property rights and royalties other than credit and a salary in many cases. While I do not know the whole story, and this next statement is only guessing, that might explain why some developers left Steinberg and created Studio One.

• Interesting Interesting x 3
    • List
  13. naitguy

naitguy Audiosexual

Damn. Just uninstalled it.. don't really want to mess with this one until it's more properly cracked. Thank you to whomever it was that gave it a go in cracking it though, and thanks to Olymoon for uploading it.. but I think it's best to wait for now.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  14. clone

clone Audiosexual

I think the white noise aspect is not very cool at all. why not just drop the output of the plugin to useless level? Does this also automatically launch a browser instance to that virus/piracy page? a noise is one pretty lame thing, but executing a program would be different.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

maybe my registry cleaner isn't that great, I even try to search manually, deleted few entries and try installing again, blocked everything but still getting timebomb after 1 hour. Guess I'll just wait for the properly k'd one that hopefully be out soon.

For now, temporary solution that always work is remove the plugin from the track and then press CTRL+Z, everything back to normal
    . works for now.

Since the timebomb only triggered when you touch the knob I don't think it will be a problem when rendering.

• Interesting Interesting x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  16. poly

poly Platinum Record

I like the timebomb from Sonic Charge MicroTonic or newest uhe Repro-1/5 (actually from there ftp site).
    A speaking robot with a hint of the pirated copy. Sometimes it fits to my songs!

17. Vader

Vader Platinum Record

Yeah.... You should take them to court, and explain to the Judge how using a pirated version of the software hurts your ears

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  18. halfman73

halfman73 Platinum Record

I've been using this on Live and Studio One since yesterday, without a timebomb (yet!). Not sure if it's just a matter of time, but if it helps anyone, I noticed the installer places two copies of the DLL and VST3 files on the C drive. I replaced both copies of each. Also blocked fabfilter in my hosts file as well. My firewall (Kaspersky cloud) blocks Live and Studio 1

19. BuntyMcCunty

BuntyMcCunty Rock Star

Can you be more explicit about this? Where exactly do you enter the * ? From what I can tell, the app only appears to give you the alternative of looking for an .exe file -- though this obviously can't be correct as you seem to be able to do it.

20. clone

clone Audiosexual

does this mean it gives them legal license to execute arbitrary code on a target machine? that's kinda slippery, isn't it?

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List