Yamaha releases MONTAGE M Expanded Softsynth Plugin (E.S.P.)

Discussion in 'Software News' started by aymat, Jan 25, 2024.

1. aymat

aymat Audiosexual

[​IMG]

A game-changer for musicians, the Expanded Softsynth Plugin (ESP) replicates the MONTAGE M in your favorite Digital Workstation (DAW). Free for all registered MONTAGE M owners, ESP allows you to create, edit and mix MONTAGE M Performances anywhere you happen to be – without the hardware – offering an unprecedented level of stage and studio integration.

The first version has all the MONTAGE M sound while being limited to basic editing. The full version will be available in Summer 2024.

More info:
    https://yamahasynth.com/learn/montage-m/blakes-take-expanded-softsynth-plugin-for-montage-m/

• Interesting Interesting x 5
    • Love it! Love it! x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  3. Synclavier

Synclavier Rock Star

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  4. jugstries

jugstries Noisemaker

In its present status it's quite the CPU hog I believed it would be, and doesn't even sound as good as my hardware Montage M. Let's hope they can fix at least the CPU usage in the next updates...

• Interesting Interesting x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  5. aymat

aymat Audiosexual

Interesting. Isnt it essentially the same software just scaled back on features? Is the sound different due to the DAC?

6. jugstries

jugstries Noisemaker

The DAC can't the case here since I have the hardware Montage M connected via USB only, so I get the digital multichannel signal in the DAW. To explain the difference in sound, I believe they can't port the codebase 1:1 of the AWM2 and FM engines, the effects etc. since the hardware uses custom DSP chips (and code) and not the x64/arm technology of the native plugin.

7. Synclavier

Synclavier Rock Star

I don't believe Yamaha engineers can't port their own chip which is 10 years old and prototyping is done on a Linux machine anyway so they had an engineer software version long ago. Yamaha promised 1/1 sound in the software on the other hand it's rather difficult to replace hundred hardware tone generation channels and DSP with software which may lead to a less nuance sound so some drawbacks are quite understandable. What processor are you using?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2024
  8. Synclavier

Synclavier Rock Star

A bit annoying guy demoes software at home

Presentation at NAMM today, sounds the same as hardware to me :)

9. paul_audioz

paul_audioz Ultrasonic

So, let me see if I understand this: when you own a Montage M, you get this software for free and then you can use the software without the hardware? If so, then anybody can use this software for free and own a Montage in software? I feel I am missing something.....

10. Piszpunta

Piszpunta Kapellmeister

I believe there must be some kind of authorization (e.g. using a unique code that comes with every Montage keyboard). So the software is free, but only for hardware owners.

11. Synclavier

Synclavier Rock Star

here how authorization looks https://yamahasynth.com/learn/montage-m/blakes-take-expanded-softsynth-plugin-for-montage-m/
    Authorisation and download through Steinberg Download Assistant. https://usa.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/6/2231506/Install_Guide_ESP_MontageM_En.pdf

12. Synclavier

Synclavier Rock Star

Montage M for $4k as giant usb iLok :yes: remember this is Steinberg they were kings of usb-locks

13. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

so it is more like an editor? not like a softsynth version of the montage m. I hate when its formulated that missleading.

compare aura plugins for access virus TI2 and the actual virus Ti2, whivh generates the sound.

14. jugstries

jugstries Noisemaker

I may have been too quick to dismiss the audio quality of the plugin. After some proper balancing and gain staging with my hardware Montage M7, it seems to be on par with the hardware. I also found a "lite mode" in the settings that reduces a bit the CPU usage (that still is quite high, but this has to be expected due to all the stuff that runs under the hood). Scott's Synth Stuff has just posted a video where he installs and explores the plugin a bit.

15. Synclavier

Synclavier Rock Star

not only an editor but full featured workstation on its own in you DAW

16. ArticStorm

but the point is, you still need a montage hardware, so its not standalone. therefore totally useless for us pirates.

17. Festus

Festus Newbie

In the video from the NAMM I understood that you don't need the hardware but that you can control it with any other keyboard.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  18. Synclavier

Synclavier Rock Star

well I wouldn't be so sure, witches know their witchcraft, once activated the plugin seems to exist quite independently

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. orbitbooster

orbitbooster Audiosexual

I thought the same, but then I saw this warning from the Falcon port of SY99 (TGX99) (off topic):
    And we're speaking of a 30+ years old device.
    Here the thread where we discussed this:

FM synthesis experts, could you recommend books or video tutorials to learn it?

Edit:
    Add this:
    Yet we still don't know if Yamaha is able to do that, but I guess they'll never port it, so we'll never know.

20. ArticStorm

but the info page explicitly mentioned that you need to have the hardware up to date?
    or i simply cant read, page to long to scroll through and unterstand?

we will know in summer 2024? or is there already a beta version/setup to download and test?

21. Synclavier

Synclavier Rock Star

those sample sellers are ridiculous in their marketing blah blah
    Yamaha are able port anything they developed because they got all the code, but they hardly need it Montage and MODX are the successors to the 90s SY line of workstations with AFM+AWM engine