Xfer Serum - different sound than should be

Discussion in 'Software' started by deejaywolf, Dec 29, 2023.

1. RobertoCavally

RobertoCavally Rock Star

Ok, so I tried to null the sound that OP posted and I can not do it (entirely). It is very much possible I'm doing it wrong, but.. since the difference was in some high frequencies starting to show up I had some flashbacks about filters, Dan, nyquist, oversampling etc. You know, creepy stuff.

I am too stupid for this, but there is one thing I'd like to understand. OP's render starts to "filter" down after 20k, mine doesn't. No diff if I measure Serum's output, render clip, export from DAW and even which DAW I use. Here's both rendered files in Reaper

[​IMG]

Can someone smarter (calling @No Avenger and other mixmeisters) explain what's going on and more importantly which is the right way to do it.. Tnx :)

2. Myfanwy

Myfanwy Producer

It doesn't work this way, you can only null test phase locked signals.

The high frequency cutoff is due to lossy audio compression in the YouTube video.

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. RobertoCavally

RobertoCavally Rock Star

Oh but I think it does. In this screencap there are 2 signals. The first is a MIDI track with Serum VSTi and the other is an audio file rendered from Ableton (just for fun), same note, same Serum. If you drag the Random Phase knob to 0%, as I suggested in the post #31, it nulls (I purposely first left that knob random) CAREFUL - can be loud, didn't bother to move anything, sry ;)

The graph with high frequency cutoff is for the audio file that OP rendered and posted in post #32 and its a 192 kHz 32 bits (FP) WAV, so it should be far from being lossy.. pls check that first

4. Myfanwy

Myfanwy Producer

Yes, this way both signals are indeed phase locked, because turning "random phase" to 0% and starting the same note at the same time should lead to the same output everytime.

Sorry if I misunderstood, I thought you were trying to reproduce the sound of the YouTube video the OP posted.

Ok, then the cutoff in your graph is due to Reaper downsampling from 192k with an anti aliasing low pass filter.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. No Avenger

No Avenger Audiosexual

Maybe because his made with 44.1 and yours with 192kHz? :winker:

6. RobertoCavally

RobertoCavally Rock Star

Interesting. Idk at which point though (OP exported his file from Cubase).. I just use Serum a lot and like to know these 'behind the scenes' stuff. That's why I was interested about what is going on here..;)
    Nope. I don't work with 192 kHz. I'm a normal guy.. sort of ;) I checked his Cubase export HERE and it was 192 kHz. But even if I change the HW/Reaper SR to 192, OP's render shows filtered :dunno: eeh, never mind
    BTW, HNY :wink: ..I hope the champagne didn't spill on your $$ console :woot: :rofl:

7. No Avenger

No Avenger Audiosexual

Then you're wrong here. :rofl:

48 or what? However, OP's audio file is defo truncated, not matter what's in its header. See attachment (sorry imgur overload) made @192kHz 2x Serum.jpg

Happy New Year to you too. $$$ console is safe in the villa, party was on the yacht. [​IMG]