Why is Kontakt disliked?

Discussion in 'Kontakt' started by notsoloud, May 26, 2019.

1. geetarman513

geetarman513 Noisemaker

I was still learning the site and got off topic then was greeted by the welcoming committee. I don't dislike Kontakt, analog, or digital lol, my bad. I was overwrought with haterism man...

2. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

I can understand that. Thank you for discussing it in a civilized manner.:bow:

3. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

Oh I will be careful, trust me.
    I don't really experiment on an advice from 1981 with valuable vinyl. :no:

The last time I tested something on a vinyl record was, when I have lent a record from a friend, and have forgotten it in my care in direct sunshine for hours. When I returned to my car the vinyl was formed like my car seat, and my friend a little pissed off :winker:

But not lazy, I tried to regain the original form under a little heat and pressure. I put the record between two sheets of metal and drilled a hole in them where the index hole of the record was. Then I placed it into an oven and slightly warmed it up an pressed the metal sheets togehter.
    After some time I took everything to a cool place and after it cooled down I uncovered the record.

Yes, it played again, but veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww, as the record now had the size of a family pizza or car tire. :woot:

Either too much pressure or too much heat I guess.:snuffy:
    My pal wasn't much impressed by my suggestion to easily play at 45 speed instead of 33. :rofl:

4. Nana Banana

Nana Banana Guest

Kontakt rocks. Interface has much to be desired. Features are a lot for a sample playback machine. Scripting capabilities are out of this world, which is what keeps it alive, and makes it popular among developers. Digital filters have improved over time. Whats to hate? No hate here. I've liked it since version 2 :yes:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. mrpsanter

mrpsanter Audiosexual

It's been more than 15 years now that kontakt exists and it has turned to be an industry standard, similar to what Gigastudio was before kontakt existed.

From one side it's good because it means that a lot of interesting libraries (and I mean a lot) are available.
    But from an other hand it's not so cool because it doesn't have some real competition due to the 1st point, so NI isn't too motivated to significantly improve their sampler.

I believe that this is the main issue here: I have never tried any other sampler (beside Gigastudio) but according to others, some competitors (uvi, steinberg or motu) might have a product of significantly better quality. But due to the lack of available libs, it's unlikely that they will ever replace kontakt in the near future.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  6. kims

kims Kapellmeister

I love my 12" vinyls from the 80´ties, its still the best audio quality format to date, i restored them all at highest audio quality 24 bit 192khz, and yet its still not enough. i wish i had a 32 bit rme. it took me almost 1 year to restore them all, i "manually" removed clicks with RX7, and in some cases a microscope to repair jumping needle.
    i used my ultrasonic audio desk vinyl cleaner - it took up to 10 minutes to clean one record
    i paid 2007 EUR for it for some years ago and i havent reget it
    its a kickass machine they even make their own specially made cleaning fluid

never use the amateurtips on youtube and such, like clue wtf
    avoid the reissued vinyls, go for the old ones that was originally made in the analog studio

7. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  8. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

I read you straight after reading your introduction so I understood you.. sorta... :wink:

9. Iggy

Iggy Rock Star

Unfortunately, you edited your post before I could reply to the full statement, but in a nutshell, yes. I started out making music back in the Eighties. My first sequencer was a hardware Yamaha QX-21 two-track, my second keyboard was a Ensoniq Mirage, and I used to record on a Tascam MSR-16 reel-to-reel. All shit. Plugins aren't hardware? Plugins do the exact same fucking thing as their hardware counterparts ... sometimes, a hell of a lot better. Compression is compression, whether it's a flashing LED light hitting an optical sensor and triggering it or a software algorithm reacting to a waveform and triggering it. This "analog warmth" bullshit is an EQ curve, which software has been able to successfully replicate for about twenty years now. Even UAD, a hardware manufacturer, makes inexpensive software imitations of their own gear that's almost indistinguishable from the real thing. The major difference between software and hardware is an exorbitant difference in price that's well beyond what some kid starting out could hope to afford.

I'm not clear on your statement that DAWs only got viable 5-7 years ago, as Pro Tools has been around since the mid-Nineties, and was considered viable enough early on (especially thanks to Apogee, who figured out the filtering technology for decent digital recording and playback) that all major commercial studios started switching over to it as soon as possible (I won't even go into DAT, ADAT and other digital tape formats that were replacing analog multitrack before that). Analog tape manufacturers were actually shutting down due to poor sales. But don't take my word on how shitty analog tape sounds; Bob Clearmountain just stated in an interview how much he dislikes analog and how he couldn't wait to switch over to digital ASAFP.

If you like analog, that's great, but if you insist on campaigning for the demise of DAWs and digital recording (which, by the way, will never, ever happen), there's never going to be any progress. A lot of software manufacturers are busy trying to emulate shitty old analog gear to keep the old guys happy, instead of moving forward and continuing to outpace analog. Is that what you want? You honestly want to be perpetually stuck in 1987 with some 24-track Studer (or perhaps even something more decrepit) and a ratty old console you bought because Jack White or whoever said it was cool and spend half your productive years soldering, aligning and recapping shit to make music that, like it or not, will ultimately be heard on .mp3 or streaming and sound roughly about the same as somebody who spent under $1,000 for their entire rig?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  10. waverider

waverider Rock Star

And I thought Sega vs Nintendo was a console war, but it looks like Analog vs Digital is the new literal "console" war :rofl:
    Analogonna do what digitalent can't

11. Lieglein

Lieglein Audiosexual

Yeah, I was already wondering when this is going to be a thing again. But now I'am not disappointed anymore. :hahaha:

:drunks:

12. Jazz-N-Stuff

Jazz-N-Stuff Platinum Record

which one is better?

or this sports car?

its only a question of taste, i go for the e type even i know it gives me a lot of trouble.

13. fritzm

fritzm Producer

Give me the Jaguar!

14. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

I was thinking exactly in the same comparison.
    Now imagine you have to compete in a race. Which one would you choose?

Because music is even more about taste than cars, but here we're not talking about the car but the engine and frame technical performance.

15. Dimentagon

Dimentagon Rock Star

Dude.. You have a comprehension problem.. "Native" Daw's.. Native as in not the 20 plus K I spent on the last excursion into Protools land. Native has only become viable proportional to the increase of CPU grunt, Multi core support and 64 bit OS systems replacing memory limitations imposed by 32 bit OS. You couldn't have 24 open mics and press record on a native system 5-8 years ago. You needed dedicated hardware solutions like Tools or Paris ect. Even PT had problems summing in the box back then because of the code, so we had to summ mix.
    Just as Plug'ins didn't become a thing before modelling algorithms become more advanced.

Campaigning for the demise of DAWS? WTF are you talking about ?
    For the record, I had one of the first Nubus PT3 systems in my country and had a SD2 card before that in addition to an Atari falcon with an FDI. So I have invested heavily in Digital, which has mostly paid for itself
    I had a 6 system with 2 x Ad8000's and a 24 then a HD system. I sold the lot and went Native. I even had two of those Horrid ADats with the remote at one point.

I sold my 2' 16 track (my favourite medium) a while ago due to space and the cost of tape.
    I used to own a Soundtracs Megas
    As for the Horrid console and Studer comments.. whatever.

[​IMG]
    You're actually missing the point. Digital recording, as I tell students.. is shit in shit out (much the same as all music)
    Plug ins dont fix bad tracking. You have a good front end with a good signal path into good converters attached to a good performance you have into the bones of a good arrangement... for the record I dont care what anyone's doing Bob, Jack or whoever...

Well Maybe Daniel..

Last edited: May 28, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  16. Dimentagon

Dimentagon Rock Star

Is it raining? The Jag is awesome (my mate has one actually!!!) but it leaks, rusts bad and has Bosh electrics that stop... however its a fantastic car.

17. notsoloud

notsoloud Guest

I really wish I'd never started this. But then, that's what I said after I got married.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  18. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

19. Dimentagon

Dimentagon Rock Star

I've already said I like Kontakt as a scripting Library .. just not as a sampler :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  20. Bump

Bump Kapellmeister

Lol @ cold digital engine..

We're still saying shit like this in 2019???

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List