Analog vs Digital

Discussion in 'Education' started by lordauricle, Sep 11, 2015.

1. lordauricle

lordauricle Member

3. Yes, but....analogue sounds better.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  4. stevitch

stevitch Audiosexual

. . . and do bit rate and sampling rate higher than those of CD audio (16/44.1) really make a difference in what's actually hearable on CD? And is it bad for our ears, our brains, our minds and our souls, to be subjected to digital sound when they're made for analog (natural) sound? And does the average person really miss/notice the loss of fidelity in MP3@320 from CD-quality audio, or from analog to digital? And does a vinyl record of an analog recording emit frequencies that one "hears" only through one's skin?

And when, oh, when will the brickwallin' Loudness Wars end in armistice? Nine Inch Nails' last album was released in an "audiophile" hi-def edition with slightly less clipping distortion and slightly more (that is, some) dynamic range presrved. Will Radiohead release its next album on 8-track cartridge, or just say, "WTF – let's give 'em it on wax cylinder!" No, wait – Dave Grohl joked about that, but he might've been serious: he did that Foo Fighters album on analog tape in his garage. I listened to it on low-bitrate MP3 over earbuds.

5. statik

statik Audiosexual

a friend of mine who has a project called cervello elettronico released an album on cassette just because it was cool and there actually was a demand for it. i have no idea what this adds to the discussion but thought it was a nice follow up to stevitch's reply.

now for my 2 cents, fuck the whole discussion, i have had shitty analog gear and i have had brilliant digital gear. also had shitty digital gear, in the end it doesnt matter as long as it does what you want and adds to what you're trying to achive

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  6. lerkjurk

lerkjurk Platinum Record

It is the song that speak to the soul not the quality of recording.

• Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  7. Slider

Slider Producer

While true in theory, it is hard for the song to speak to the soul when your ears are bleeding! :rofl:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Absolutely, positively, without a doubt it is about the song. A bad song is a bad song, the quality and craft of the recording is secondary.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  9. DarthFader

DarthFader Audiosexual

Digital earns me dosh. Analogue makes me posh. So, kinda I like both.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  10. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

That's sick man, I love that project. I've also checked out your Soundcloud, really great stuff and right up my alley. :phunk:

11. Screamingly great stuff, no shit.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. Loop Threat

Loop Threat Ultrasonic

...then there's SUPERNATURAL sound...

after I escaped the 09/11 event in New York...the experience caused a change in my (I suspect) DNA (as DNA works on the merit of switches thrown by the brain). This 09/11 experience caused me to at random times be able to 'hear' other sounds which were not coming from my surroundings (not coming from outside of my body). This only helps to prove that what people refer to as 'sound' is actually created by the brain (auditory cortex).

With that said one reason we have not discovered new 'sound' is because we are limited to a hearing scope (20Hz-20KHz) along with damaged DNA that cannot throw these switches, at that rate this 20/20 scope is variable per person. What I am saying here is that due to DNA activity some people CAN actually hear beyond the charted scope of hearing...I mean this dimensional and not particularly in linear format. 'Sound' in nature (or should I say 'energy') comes from all directions...not just LEFT CENTER and RIGHT, it is 'dimensional' and we really cannot mimic nature (as much as we try).

In short 'consciousness' which exists in all things (as proven in science) is a living organism trying to express itself...songs are literally bodies of such an expression so it really is a matter of the 'soul' of a song and not so much if it's analog or digital or dimensional. Depending on what song it is I can actually listen to a track and HEAR a new version of the same exact recording each time I hear it...imagine taking the same exact MP3 file and each time you play it you hear a new version...I can SUBMERGE dimensionally with the track, this is what happens when you activate dormant DNA...you get an expanded experience...unfortunately this DNA thing seems to happen when life threatening experiences happen.

PEACE TO ALL 09/11 SURVIVORS

Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  13. statik

statik Audiosexual

figured it might be, seen you post things about VAC and such a few times, thanks!
    thanks, very good to hear!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  14. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

I don't care. I'm just giving you a thumbs up for that acrobatic cat. :D

15. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Do I have to choose? Mature experienced analog and young skinny digital - I fuck 'em both in the aux.

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  16. ovalf

ovalf Platinum Record

Remembering its really style dependent, as many great producers said,,,
    (for the idiots:trashing: that call people dumb please search on the net to became less dumber:deep_facepalm:).
    Erudite music (wrong called as classical:trolls:) sounds better in digital.
    I recorded little orchestras end chorals and is indeed true.:like:
    Also we must be an open mind and state that this is cultural thing. :woot:
    The great bands:metal:
    started in this way and we start to like the sound. :drummer:
    Cultural yes, thats why so many likes pentatonic and do not play and compose integral serial music...:wtf:

I really like analog, but I like digital too, each have their strengths:bleh::yes:

17. asad12

asad12 Platinum Record

Can the listener tell if a song was mixed and mastered with analog or in the box?
    And do they really care? :dunno:

18. rosko

rosko Ultrasonic

Not a bad article of the hundreds i've seen on the subject, I guess these will continue until humans are wiped out as long as there are younger kids learning production. What i have noticed more in recent years is less people give a fuck.

19. rhythmatist

rhythmatist Audiosexual

I have worked in professional recording studios. Was doing it before the 1st digital device ever showed up (Eventide Harmonizer). Like trying to compare apples and oranges, they are both fruit, but after that discussions of which is better and why just don't solve much, except fodder for arguments. Digital recording is more accurate with more dynamic range avilable. Whether that sounds better or worse depends on what how you use it and what goes into it. Analog can sound more pleasant to some people because of the natural attenuation of tape and harmonics generated by the equipment. I try to consider that when applying old analog techniques to modern digital recording. Here is my example. When I recorded with analog and tape, an AKG414 was one of my favorite mics. Now when the same mic gets mostly digital processing and recording, it can sound a little harsh to my ears if not extra careful. (Would still like to have one of my own, though) It amazes me how many devices there are to make digital sound like analog and tape or modeled on analog devices. You have to adapt your methods to the medium.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  20. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

If you ever need anything while you're here then contact me at your convenience and I'd be happy to help and same goes for your friend. If you're into warez then I can help with that too. Glad to know that we're attracting more underground artists to the forums particularly when it comes to Industrial. I'm all about supporting a different kind of art. :cool:

21. lerkjurk

lerkjurk Platinum Record

I dont think most can tell and i dont think most care.

Why do ppl spend 2-5x normal price to buy Demos and Bootlegs where quality hurts? Why are so many good albums Remastered many years later? They usual only remaster good albums, but quality wasnt good. Still was good album.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List