Where to get mixing clientele?

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by justwannadownload, Jan 18, 2023.

1. Riddim Machine

Riddim Machine Rock Star

Be gentle and show appreciation to their work (genuinely); Don't fake, automessage or spam. Listen to the artists around the globe that have a sound that you would like to help to construct, i think it's part of the goals you should stablish as a beginner. There are plenty of artists that are accessible for me and you and have a good sound a poor mix. If you work with those talented people at the right moment at the right time you are more susceptible to be solid and even a respected name among the industry. Keep around showing your work, even for nobody. Use the social media, make it to be your portifolio and a place to show your skills; don't be afraid to create contents with fancy techniques that only work for you, but maybe will work for other, is all about speculation about your job. You don't need to be a teacher, as many youtubers. As i said, just be around, don't care about numbers and viewers, it's a time thing and you need to pratice your patience to don't get frustrated BC no ones watches you. It's just about being fearless and knowing what you want. This, unfortunately, is something that no one on this forum will have the answer: what you want as a mixer. Start from that and trace your goals.

(I don't think the market is saturated at all. The market is full of hobbists, people that tried and failed because of the conditions/patience/time they had available, and people that think their mixing skills are the only thing that matters, and don't treat it with the business side. I don't think that are a lot of mix engineers working the "right" way.)

2. Spartan

Spartan Kapellmeister

I'd suggest that if you don't know this basic information, you're far from ready to charge someone to mix their records for them but...

To make a living from mixing and mastering in this industry you need to understand a few things; First, the Dunning Kruger effect; Low ability people do not possess the skills needed to recognise their own incompetence. 95% of producers/engineer suffer from this. They believe the ability to produce music on a computer means they're also the perfect choice to mix and master it. No matter what you say or what evidence you provide, they won't listen. They are incapable of recognising their own incompetence.

So first accept that you're looking at a limited market. Your limited market are those who are capable of recognising their own incompetence. This recognition comes from a LOT of experience, years of producing music and attempting to mix and master their own music brings them to the realisation that they require another ear, experience and equipment. So you’re essentially aiming your services at people with a high experience level. Is yours higher than theirs?

The market is over saturated with "engineers" who think that a laptop running Ableton, a pair of KRK monitors and a few YouTube tutorials makes them a professional mix engineer. Any client who knows they need an expert to mix their music already has the experience to identify a quality engineer and equipment. They look at the studio, the monitoring environment, the monitor speakers, the hardware and the guy sat at the desk.

They expect either have a credit list that’s impressive, or at the very least show they have the professionalism to have invested in some quality gear and speaker monitors that will do a better job than they can at home. So, if you have good equipment, start advertising what you have and what you can do on social media and clients just come to you. They're actively looking for professionals. Quality speaks for itself.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  3. justwannadownload

justwannadownload Audiosexual

Or I just live in another part of the world altogether, you know. I've always been bad with administrativity, remembering that it exists and might differ from what I've used to is a big step up for me. It seems tho that EBU recommendations don't differ from what broadcasters follow here in Kyrgyzstan. Actually no, while independent broadcasters follow EBU R 128, the state media follows the standard of -16 LUFS int/-8 dBTP for a programme. Yes, you read that right.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2023
  4. justwannadownload

Anyways.
    So the best shot is to look for artists who need thtir music mixed and offer a one-time "free demo" mix to build notoriety. And to do it genuinely and individually (goes without saying).
    The next logical question is (if sumebody is willing to bear with me), where do they go to post their music, and where would it be appropriate to contact them? SoundCloud is unfortunately off the menu, as it is blocked in my country and won't let me in through Tor.

5. Spartan

Spartan Kapellmeister

I wasn’t aware that different parts of the world had differing file formats, stereo spreading or different true peak levels.

The awareness of these are not administrative tasks but basic audio engineering skills.

6. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Hello @justwannadownload, here is a sample request:

I would like to have some of my songs mixed by you.

Do you have some references to listen to?
    How many bands or musicians have you mixed?
    How do I reach you?
    How much does it cost?
    Where should I send my WAV files?
    How long does it take?

P.S.: You could say that you are currently full-time, caring for your 2 relatives.
    This is a very human and responsible and exhausting work. For this you deserve recognition and respect.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2023
  7. justwannadownload

Well, they do.
    I'd contest this particular claim too. Time marches on, broadcast changes and becomes a niche. Streaming services have their own standards, direct sale services have their own standards, CD or God have mercy vinyl specs are a different thing altogether.

@BEAT16 Thank you for the support! Here's a sample answer, as it stands now:

Hello!
    . I can directly send you my mixes, or YouTube links of some of my works, published by artists, labels or third party.
    . I've been working primarily with Hip-Hop artists on a small local label. I mixed the works of 5 different artists across 13 releases over the years. On top of that, there were many one-off projets with off-label artists and amateurs that I mixed, of varied styles and genres. On top of that still, there's some of my own music in varied Electronic styles.
    . You can reach me here, via Gmail, or over on Discord. I'm also present at Russian social platforms, namely VK, Telegram and Mail.ru, if this is an option for you.
    . $70 or equivalent for a full mix. I'm not a mastering engineer, but I can bring your mix to desired loudness as well.
    . You can send the files to my Gmail or Mail.ru, or use any file sharing service. I will send the mix back via the same means.
    . It will take two days after the files go through. I will at first mix your song in its entirety, then will let myself forget how it sounds. Next day I will listen to it with the fresh ears and make necessary adjustments. Aftar that I will send you the mix in lossless quality and act on your feedback. This first revision is expected and comes with no additional charge.

Does that make sense?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2023
  8. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

This text of yours belongs on a website of its own, plus a picture of you in the studio and all the addresses to contact you.
    It would also be nice if you could be found on the World Wide Web, via a search engine.
    It would be easier to give people a link to your website.
    It would also be easier for me to give someone who makes music a link to your website.
    You can also put the link to your website in your profile here on AudioSexPro.

My website looks like this (it's old and unfashionable but it works):
    Sonic Sirius - Synthesizer Soundsets
    Freeware Soundsets for Software and Hardware Synthesizer
    http://ohlenbostelhelge.magix.net/public/

Free websites:
    https://audiosex.pro/threads/does-a...x-com-free-website-builder.64292/#post-635267
    www.wix.com
    www.tooltester.com/en/blog/wix-vs-squarespace/
    www.weebly.com/at/pricing#plans/type/free

9. justwannadownload

Before I go to meditate on all this, one last thing that's not clear to me.
    Where should I proactively look for artists that don't have access to a mixing engineer, as has been proposed? Also, in relation to that, what are other music-related forums where people can post their music, including genre-specific ones?

10. Spartan

Spartan Kapellmeister

Oh dear...

Vinyl specs do not have different mixing guidelines, that's mastering. Inter sample peaks do not change regardless of country, that's analogue conversion and in mixing you shouldn't even be mixing close to true peak values.

I'm not here to give you an education, that's up to you but before you start to charge innocent "victims", you desperately need to learn the basic theory of what you're doing.

11. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Look, if someone approaches me, where can I mix my stuff for cheap, I'll give them your web address or have them log on to the forum here and send you a PM. You should think about a company name, then make a logo, which jumps to the people in the eye, you have to market yourself better first, make your own website. Introduce yourself in all music forums,

sometimes they may delete your postings - because it is spam, in some countries you are seen as a trader or freelancer.
    If the person was satisfied, he will recommend you and so every beginning is difficult. You just have to be represented everywhere. You need a strategy - long term. You have a lot of competition and all mixers are vying for the attention of paying customers.

Make a customer file, the contacts you have write an email or a card at Christmas to get you back in the game. If you want to become successful, you must listen and have a goal. I would print out all the tips and create a folder and make a strategy.

Surf for musician networks - here 2 examples:
    https://soundbetter.com/profiles/95989-greg-ogan
    https://www.backstagepro.de

Check out how other mixers build their websites:
    https://www.soundrays-studio.com/engineer

I hope you are capable of learning - otherwise you won't get anywhere either....!

12. justwannadownload

Um, yeah? Broadcast specs are also mastering tho.
    Hold on, hold on. Do you, by chance, think that I don't know what ISP is?
    Dude, I'm asking what loudness and dynamic range is required by Western broadcasters, not what is loudness, FFS.
    Okay, so what you're telling me is that I shouldn't bother myself with the broadcast standards and other mastering business and just mix the songs, leaving the loudness standards to the mastering engineer. Got it, thanks. But knowledge about what loudness EBU recommends and why is still nice to have.

Exactly. What are the other ones though where this is appropriate? I only know of this one.

13. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Top 35 Music Forums, Discussion and Message Boards
    https://blog.feedspot.com/music_forums/
    Top 20 Metal Music Forums, Discussions, and Message Boards
    https://blog.feedspot.com/metal_music_forums/
    100 Best Music Blogs and Websites
    https://blog.feedspot.com/music_blogs/?_src=alsoin
    https://gearspace.com

Last edited: Jan 21, 2023
  14. justwannadownload

@BEAT16 Thank you, you've left a lot of useful links here.

15. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Hello @justwannadownload, I wish you all the best for your further life, you have already made the beginning years ago and it will continue, always stay tuned - that will develop further by itself. There are like in real life, always times setbacks, but then you get up again and continue. Be proud of what you have achieved so far and have confidence in your abilities. You won't necessarily be able to live from it, but you will certainly earn something in addition.

I have read a lot about Kyrgyzstan - a country with a small population and a lot of nature, certainly money is not everything and freedom and love is worth much more. You have the WorldWideWeb and so you are also a part of the human family.