What is your list of top 3 fat analog-like processing vsts for synths (electronic music)?

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by shinbeth, Jun 10, 2020.

1. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

@shinbeth I don't think anybody here will be able to help you. You have tried several dozen vst plugins, and you are not satisfied. I think your are not spending enough time learning what you already own or demo in your quest for a silver bullet that does not exist outside anyone's head.

2. 11Fletcher

11Fletcher Platinum Record

It really depend on what you looking for in the analog sound. It's a lot of different parameter that make something sounds "analog", it goes from the color of the sound to the phase and pitch randomness of the waveform, and also the stereo field if you use unison mode.

For the color side, I like to use the UAD Pultec emulation, often without touching the parameter, but just the plugin itself give some color, especially in the low end. Also the IK Multimedia Tape Machine are great to add some kind of deepness in the sound (I use mostly the 440 with the "analog dimension" preset, but they all have their own touch, depend on the sound you want).
    For the other stuff like phase, pitch and unison, it's in your synth that you have to set this up, like in Serum you have the chaos 1 & 2 you can use (only from the matrix) to act on your osc pitch (with the "fine" tuning for a more subtle effect) and add some synth noise (from the analog noise, of if you got some other sampled noise), using the same movement on it. A little chaos on the global amp can add a little movement too, and in the "global" paremeter (next to the matrix) you can control the width of the unison mode, put it on 0 or a small value, for a more "mono" effect.

At then end, you can have an "analog" feel on a synth, which is very a matter of personnal taste, and also a lot to do with subtle randomness, cause most of what make an analog synth unique is that movement in the sound because of the power. It's possible to have this on a plugin, you just have to set it up yourself and think about all the parameter that are "unstable" in an analog synth (depending on the synth you want to emulate, the waveform shape is also important). The FX you add after can also make it sound more or less analog, and it's mostly a perseption feeling. Like an OTT will usually make it sound more modern, cause it's a an effect use in modern digital sound mostly, even if you put an old Moog through it, it will sound more digital in your mind, because of what our ear are use to listen with this type of compression.

3. Seckkksee

Seckkksee Guest

Train ur ears.... analog warmth is very easy to achieve in plugin format. not to mention analog warmth varies even in the analog domain, i.e and analog console won't sound the same as analog compressors or analog synths. I'm seeing u use wayyyy too much gear and not achieving results. methinks the problem aint the software...

4. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

I would personally quit wasting my time looking for a magic goodizer plugin and just concentrate on using my ears and a good eq and possibly a saturator until I figured out how to get the sound I wanted. Maybe say, Fabfilter Q2 and Sound Toys Decapitator. But you pick yours.

Edit- great minds lol

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
    • Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  5. Also, something I've mentioned before. A few people have aired their dissatisfaction with their mixes compared to other source material. The source material you are using as a reference has been mastered. You are working on a mix. You are not mastering your track. You can try, but it takes a lot more to create a master than a couple of the right analog plugins.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • List
  6. shinbeth

shinbeth Ultrasonic

I think you didn't understand my request, English might be the issue. My ears are trained just fine... I'm achieving results I'm only asking what is the best way to achieve a near perfect outcome, nothing more. Most people here have given great contributions with that matter, for me to get even closer to end-product sound. But thanks for stopping by with your ineffective inputs (train your ears, analog warmth is very easy) and see you around ;)

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
  7. shinbeth

shinbeth Ultrasonic

Fabfilter and Decapitator aren't just enough, of course I'm using them - it's still too basic to get studio level results.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  8. shinbeth

shinbeth Ultrasonic

Yes absolutely, which proves the point that even the top mastering vsts ssl etc. don't come close enough to physical hardware and consoles.

I would like my mixdown to come even closer to the final output though (that is, mastering-like level). I'll get an appointment with a top sound engineer to achieve that.

9. shinbeth

shinbeth Ultrasonic

Thanks yes I've noticed tape, subtle randomness on the synths, additional FX and OTT are also doing the trick I've noticed cheers.

10. shinbeth

shinbeth Ultrasonic

Dope thanks will try those out.

11. shinbeth

shinbeth Ultrasonic

Actually a lot of people have usefully helped me, here and there in other topics regarding the subject :) Why the negativity, do you not read the threads before answering? :) Nice try though!

12. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

Ask me again after you have been producing for 5 years.

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  13. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

:wtf:Negativity? Whats your problem? You ask us for opinion, and I gave you one. If you did not like it,don't ask. Or do I need to answer like everyone eslse? The interesting thing is that I told you almost the same thing that someone else told you afterward, and you marked as BEST ANSWER

Maybe you are the one that does not read. We are telling you exactly the same thing. On top of that, you also criticized the same answer you marked as BEST ANSWER. :deep_facepalm: Read what you wrote:

You got mental problems or something? With that said, if you want to start some shit with me let me know. I am ready to get banned, am tired of some of you coming at me with some unnecessary shit. Let me know.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  14. shinbeth

shinbeth Ultrasonic

Sorry who are you? :)

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  15. shinbeth

shinbeth Ultrasonic

Lol the Internet is funny man, thanks for entertaining :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  16. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

Funny will bee when I launch a bitch attack on you.:hillbilly:

17. shinbeth

shinbeth Ultrasonic

Again, I don't think it's highly constructive/on-topic here. You haven't been contributing to this thread in any way since the start. Do you feel so insecure as a man to feel the need to ridiculously threaten others online, just because your feelings are hurt? :D

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  18. benderandgaia

benderandgaia Producer

You Answered yourself , I sure you have tried more VST than 85% of people in here and if you would love analog sound you can start saving for analog equipment,a Dangerous Music D-Box can be good.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  19. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

20. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

@shinbeth I am sorry. the DJ put the wrong tune. This is the tune for this thread. Indeed, this should be the BEST ANSWER.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List