VSTi in Reaper

Discussion in 'Reaper' started by aleksalt, May 7, 2024.

1. xorome

xorome Audiosexual

About the routing button: Have you tried resetting your theme to default and giving the tracks more horizontal/vertical space?

2. justsomerandomdude

justsomerandomdude Rock Star

I understand, many ppl find it a bit hard and feel a bit strange to understand Reaper when are new to it or when they are from other platform. Its just Reapers simplicity that makes it or feel like its a bit complicated to understand. But its really, really simple, and straight forward.

U didnt mention

3. aleksalt

aleksalt Producer

Does it matter what? Doing routing in Sonar I connect midi to midi, audio to audio, but as I know in Reaper track is everything: midi, audio, send, return, right?

4. aleksalt

aleksalt Producer

Maybe, I should try it

5. Sinus Well

Sinus Well Audiosexual

Well... Let's see!

I don't know what you mean by "warehouse". You can right-click on an effect/instrument plugin in the fx window and click on replace fx. But if you replace an instrument, then it is replaced. Logical, isn't it? If you want to keep the previous instrument, bypass it and add another instrument to the track. You can have as many VSTi's on a track as you want.

6. justsomerandomdude

Kinda does, in this http://audiosex.pro/threads/vsti-in-reaper.75401/#post-774049 post there was a pin connector audio, and here http://audiosex.pro/threads/vsti-in-reaper.75401/#post-777877 it was midi, got confused.
    But yeah Reaper can do audio and midi on same track. But it has to be routed like u said midi to midi audio to audio.

If u have read my previous post http://audiosex.pro/threads/vsti-in-reaper.75401/#post-777980, u might have noticed a separate column on the left for audio.

Last edited: May 30, 2024
  7. aleksalt

aleksalt Producer

Ok, I see from the answers here, that I neeed that Route button...
    then how do I return to the default settings to get it?

8. Guitarmaniac64

Guitarmaniac64 Rock Star

You can do the same in the track view no need to open the mixer if it is docked

9. aleksalt

aleksalt Producer

I reply to the 1st video in your post:I watch it till Kenny teaches us about Default theme,
    do as he prompts, get Default theme in my Reaper, and...oops, no Route button...then I choose themes one by one, and wow,
    that "magic' button at last appears with "Default_5_Dark"... but WTF, the Reaper's guide tells us about 7th version with "magic" button, Kenny in his tutorial tells about 6th version, and at last I found it in...5th version theme...tell me if this all isn't abrakadabra?

Attached Files:

10. justsomerandomdude

It Doesnt show because maybe its hidden,

1. check the theme adjuster from actions window, top menu bar. ( i dont remember the default shortcut, i changed mine to Shift + ?) defult theme adjuster v6 or 7 doesnt matter and check the following.

Edirol 3.jpg

2. Why do u pick the long way for selecting a theme. Just use options from menu drop down go to themes, pick the theme...

11. aleksalt

aleksalt Producer

I did exactly what Kenny prompts in his video, do we trust him? He said: "Choose Default",- I did it - no Route button, then I manually tested themes till button appeared, that's it

Last edited: May 31, 2024
  12. Sinus Well

Sinus Well Audiosexual

different themes use different scripts and therefore work differently. Themes built on the basis of v5, v6 or v7 follow their rules accordingly. The dynamic display of theme elements such as the routing button applies to themes from v6 upwards.

All your questions are covered in detail in the videos.

13. justsomerandomdude

His vids is the manual to all the Reaper users around the globe, of course can trust him.

Not all tut vids covers all the points. But in my experience he covers everything without leaving a room of doubt, and does not miss, most vids covers everything there is. I usually skip through or fast forward through his vids these days to look for what i want. Most vids are in slow paced with ensures everyone one understands and most of all making sure everything is covered.
    Browse through his channel use the search (in the channel) use it as a user manual.

The video u might be watching might be theme, even in the default theme i believe that setting is not active i.e when the mixer is visible the route button is hidden, maybe not sure. it comes under theme customization.

The thing with Reaper is u need to get ur priorities right, and do a search for what exactly ur looking for. There are thousand different options and thousands of user written scripts for free, for each action. Anything could be customized.

Check these posts:
    https://audiosex.pro/threads/reaper-interesting-tips-tricks-actions.69189/

And Reaper forum: https://forum.cockos.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20

14. aleksalt

aleksalt Producer

15. aleksalt

aleksalt Producer

16. Quantised Noise

Quantised Noise Producer

If you have organised your plugins into various groups, the *right click* menu on the FX button is generally faster than the left click method.

17. Sinus Well

Sinus Well Audiosexual

People who deal with Reaper for the first time often start by changing everything. They change the theme, they import configuration files, change menus, edit toolbars, edit presets, import templates, run scripts that run as background processes... and then they wonder why nothing works and they have no idea how to fix it...

I've seen it a hundred times. It's always the same... Why not learn how the basic program works first?

18. xorome

xorome Audiosexual

So I went ahead and checked with a fresh portable install of Reaper. Default layout, default theme:

Mixer panel visible: route buttons are shown in MIXER panel, route buttons in TRACK list are hidden
    Mixer panel hidden: route buttons are shown in TRACK list

So either change the layout (not theme), toggle the mixer panel or use a theme adjuster to show the route buttons in the track list when the mixer panel is visible.