tinnitus, no cure?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by samsome, May 4, 2020.

1. samsome

samsome Guest

i was looking for some form of even temporary relief cause someone in my family has this
    i came across this video just now with more positive and less negative reviews and thought to share to also see your opinions, supposedly helps some for a little bit...

i made a brief search only to discover many popular musicians have tinnitus, its actually kinda sad

3. xbitz

xbitz Rock Star

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  4. mr.soundworks

mr.soundworks Member

5. marchinstin

marchinstin Noisemaker

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  6. Rockseller

Rockseller Platinum Record

there is a device like a hearing device that produces a sound so you wont hear that peep like without that device. maybe I'm wrong. Thats all i know.
    Also the mental health aspect is a thing! if you hear a peeping sound 24/7 people can reach a point where they become mentally ill or even suicidal. this is not joke. maybe have an eye on that too.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. ampworks

ampworks Producer

had it bad around 2001 after a gig, took years but it faded away. rarely notice it now

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Interesting Interesting x 3
    • List
  8. grdh20

grdh20 Platinum Record

I think you just learn to live with it in the background.

9. Nick12

Nick12 Platinum Record

I have some noise in my left ear currently. So I think I have it too, but to be honest I love it. This noise makes me so calm and relax. Especially when I want to sleep. It really has improved my sleep. I don't like silences anyway.

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. realitybytez

realitybytez Audiosexual

this is very true. my wife suffers from tinnitus and she has developed heavy anxiety and a panic disorder. there are other factors as well, but the tinnitus can drive her into full panic mode on bad days.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. Elso

Elso Noisemaker

12. kitvonk

kitvonk Guest

my brother almost died of alcoholism in a rock band - he gave up the booze and the tinnitus disappeared after 6 mos. Tinnitus that he had from years. when he relapsed, it came back. he went to rehab, quit for good - no more tinnitus. there are different causes

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. ThrashHead

ThrashHead Platinum Record

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  14. realitybytez

realitybytez Audiosexual

my wife never touches alcohol or drugs. i really don't think alcohol causes tinnitus.

15. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

Tinnitus is very personal. And there seems to be endless (psychical and physical) causes for tinnitus.
    I get it from time to time and I think because of stress in any form. When it starts, it's very subtle but it get's louder and more intense from hour to hour unless I can't hear anything else but the (hammering, pounding, hissing) tinnitus. But I begin to fight it in the moment it appears. I take a day or two off and am doing some kind of autogenic training eat well and behave well. It always disappears after some days. Lucky me.
    This is what helps me, but it doesn't mean it helps everyone. In general I would say, it's good to start as early as possible to fight against tinnitus.
    Good is, what helps. I would test out almost everything to stop it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  16. Element23

Element23 Ultrasonic

Same here, I had 2 differents hisses/humming in the left ear and a hissing in the right ear for years between the age of 15-18 I would say, because I played drums unprotected on a daily basis, and it faded away when I stopped... Then came back very much stronger after a techno party when I was 22 or something. The sound was really loud. I go to clubs and parties on a weekly basis and this time was really different. For a year or so I would have tears to my eyes just hearing a door slam or somethin. It faded away using ear protections and trying the lower the music volume in my car headphones and stuff in general. I think you just get used to it, I lurked a lot on the Internet on the subject and it seems your brain is capable of "substracting" certain frequencies.
    There are a lot of different causes and kinds of tinitus. Mine it seems comes from a "trauma", meaning I have one or several scars on the tympanum, and it makes my brain believe it resonates, so I hear an "imaginary" sound. Somehow the brain is also capable of cancelling it at some point.
    Tinitus can also come from blood pressure, stress, anxiety and a lot of other kinds of health conditions. In these cases, it is curable. In a case of scarring, it is not, but you get use to it. I find that the best way to live with it is not to think about it too much.
    Just my 2 cents, take care of your ears and if they are already damaged, be brave ;)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  17. A3C

A3C Kapellmeister

A couple of pro musicians I work with used T-Minus and almost solved their problems.
    https://www.t-minus.info

There's a BBC Doc about it

::::

It's iOS only, it's free but it needs a Spotify Premium account

• List
  18. relexted

relexted Producer

I use a white noise oscillator to deal with it, especially to fall asleep without hassle, on my phone/ipad, also have it on during the day. Not loud, just background noise.
    After a year the tinnitus became a soft hiss in the background, unnoticeable during normal daily activity. Three years later I still use the noise for sleeping, added a camp fire, some wind and birds. It stimulates the brain during sleep to compensate for all sorts of sounds, so you won't be bothered too much by any noise within acceptable volume range.
    https://apps.apple.com/us/app/the-oscillator/id640819682
    https://apps.apple.com/us/app/sleep-bug/id467483176

Last edited: May 5, 2020
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  19. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

But I don't believe alcohol is one of them!

20. waverider

waverider Rock Star

I've heard that taking Ginkgo Biloba supplements can help because they supposedly improve the bloodflow into the tiniest bloodvessels, but I can't comment on whether it actually works or not.
    Besides that, it definitely also has a mental side to it. It's one of those things that gets unbearably worse the more you focus on it, and tends to get better or more bearable if you accept it and don't give it much thought. Similar to OCD related symptoms where the more a patient obsesses over their problem, the worse it gets.

21. seph

seph Ultrasonic

I have it for years, got used to "hearing it" but not "listening to it". Same with "threads and dots" in my eyes. They are always there but i barely "see" them unless I willingly "watch". Hang on, bro!