The Sample Pack Craze?!

Discussion in 'Samplers, Synthesizers' started by madbuzzin, Jan 4, 2022.

?

Do you use sample packs?

1. I use sample packs regularly

15 vote(s)
    20.5%
  2. I prefer construction kits

3 vote(s)
    4.1%
  3. I have a few that I regularly use

18 vote(s)
    24.7%
  4. I make my own

8 vote(s)
    11.0%
  5. I collect them but never use them

9 vote(s)
    12.3%
  6. Sample packs all sound the same and are pointless

20 vote(s)
    27.4%
  1. Snare Gel

Snare Gel Kapellmeister

2. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

An option "I have many that I sometimes use" would work best for me. Or "I have many that I draw inspiration from for my music and my own samples". :wink:

So I voted "I have some that I regularly use" because that is closest to how I use them. But I do have many and do not use them regularly - as in all my stuff being based on sample packs. They are useful, but not that much. I do have a few that I use regularly, though. They're all raw drum sample packs. By raw I mean they are raw sampled from drum machines or sampled live drums with as little processing as possible. Those are very useful! :headbang:

3. uhub

uhub Kapellmeister

Hey @ArticStorm only you can help me... :hug:

Please please please... :bow:

4. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

what do you mean? just donate him 1-2€ and you will get access to the library.

5. LordBiff

LordBiff Member

i collected a whole bunch like 2 years ago and now im over it.
    il grab new kshmir, oliver power tools and other exceptional stuff but thats it

i do like having a big "base library" so to speak where you can enter a search term and theres a nice selection to browse through
    also the tonal stuff from splice is supernice because its basically legally usable samples. especially single notes that you can murk

you never know when u gonna need an elephant roar bro

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2022
  6. Valnar

Valnar Rock Star

I'd agree with you so far in that genre specific cookie-cutter sample packs tend to sound very similar, so I got this:
    [​IMG]
    90s sample cds: Spectrasonics, Zero-G, Akai etc.
    Initally got them for making 90s-2000s style JRPG video game music because they were omnipresent in every soundtrack

mega breaks:
    25 Gbs of breakbeat wavs

sfx:
    sound effects & ambience

Slate:
    Slates free covid bundle, about 16 Gbs, haven't used them yet

Splice:
    Guess what

Trap drums:
    Trap packs I got from Reddit

Vengeance:
    Good old Vengeance packs, they were the first samplepacks that impressed me

vinyl samples:
    vinyl rips from blogspot sites

Data Hammer:
    decent free sample library

You get the best variety from sources that are as different as possible in my experience :thumbsup:

7. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

I don't really relate to what they're all about, I'm a musician

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  8. Kluster

Kluster Audiosexual

Like he said.
    I make my own sounds.
    Using samples is like a painter having someone else mix his colors and textures.
    Those things are what make it original.
    You remember original?:guru:

9. LordBiff

LordBiff Member

ooooor making your own snares is like a painter collecting hairs to craft his own paint brush
    which is fine but it doesnt make you less of a "musician" if you prefer to focus on composition (or whatever aspect rly)

10. uhub

uhub Kapellmeister

11. clone

clone Audiosexual

I use them and then replace them later on in the production should the song turn into a "keeper". They give you ideas, but they are also great "placeholders" sonically in your mix. This way you can build sounds around them, within some Context/relationships in levels, character, etc.

If I use a sample in a finished song, it's going to be paid for by me. Which means I'm going to be deleting anything someone thinks they can get a hand out later over; unless it is absolutely necessary to the song and something I cannot make some adequate version of for myself.

Same thing most people do with presets from virtual instruments, really. They just take up a ton less time and resources when you are first starting a track.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  12. droplet

droplet Rock Star

BTW I installed DIVA oooh solid

13. Ryck

Ryck Guest

I do exactly that, in fact I wanted to mark two options "I use regularly" and "I make my own samples"
    I use them to have a quick reference, since it saves time in picking up the bass, assembling the drums, etc. As more than anything I sing and play the guitar, I drag the loops, I create the song, and then I put it together well from scratch

14. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

you get access to 1-2€ for almost 90% of his samples, that is enough trust me. If you pay 10€ or more you get some extra packs.

And there is also alot free packs out there, like the Waldorf Blofeld drums pack i found out on the wild, which is not included in his collection.
    Go a bit hunting or pay these 2€.

15. alchemistrpm

alchemistrpm Member

This is an interesting question. Not all "sample packs" are created equal. I'm familiar with the derivative crap you are referring to. (And I'm not knocking anyone that uses them - a talented beatmaker can make fire out of anything). But many sample-based producers are hooked on a higher grade of sample pack - stuff from the likes of Kingsway Music Library, The Rucker Collective, The Sample Lab, Crate League, Crabtree, etc. These guys are like composers that make original compositions for the purpose of packaging them as sample packs and selling to would-be beatmakers. You can get packs with just the compositions, or with the stems, often-times at a premium. These are typically highly sought after, but you can still find a wealth of them available at places like the sister site.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  16. alchemistrpm

alchemistrpm Member

Precious little is actually “original.” We all build on the past, whether we use samples or not. Even the… bourgeoisie among us.

17. naitguy

naitguy Audiosexual

Sometimes your track just need that little extra something to push it across the finish line, like fart sounds recorded live at Budokan. I can't afford a trip to Japan!

18. Crinklebumps

Crinklebumps Audiosexual

Construction kits are basically painting by numbers except people who paint by numbers don't go around declaring themselves artists.

19. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Construction kits are the sample packs I actively avoid because it's basically someone's generic 4 bars of music put into a sample pack. What use is that, no matter what its called? It's an interesting way to make a little money from basically nothing. I can bet everyone of us is capable of doing a construction kit sample pack. :wink:

20. clone

clone Audiosexual

" we used to have this industry called music, until someone explained it". :guru:

I just don't like using the construction kit loops even if I know I am going to delete them later. Because it's just another layer of something done to the file that you will have to deal with later anyway. I think they may actually create more work than they save at that point.