Slice and export long wav files?

Discussion in 'Software' started by ArticStorm, Apr 11, 2021.

1. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

I sampled some Drum Kits from my old keyboard in one wav file. (like 30 files i have up to 3 mins long)

Any idea how to slice them quickly?
    Recycle does not work with very long files > 1min. it detects only the first sample and then does nothing.
    Ableton has slice to midi and does the Drum Racks, but there is no way to save the sliced files.

It would be the best if i find something where i throw in the wav file and it puts markers, which i can slice+export? (Recycle can do this, if i had markers already and setting them by hand takes very long, also zooming is not very good)

Looking forward to ideas/suggestions.

3. Legotron

Legotron Audiosexual

Does Live have marker track? In cubase after slicing, you can skip thru transients with key command (i think it was tab key) and hit another KC for marker, then render parts from marker track to individual files.

Also not sure, but I think you could do all these in PLE editor using macros, so you only hit one KC to automate it. But I'm not sure, never needed this kind of thing

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
  4. ArticStorm

yes you can tell Ableton, hey please put marker for all transients, but then you cant export the markers one by one to have one shots. Would be cool if you could export a REX file and then slice it via Recycle?

5. mrichi

mrichi Producer

Some reading with animated images. Multiple ways to save clips as samples in Ableton Live
    https://patches.zone/saving-multiple-clips-as-samples-ableton-live

Other than the solution above, you could do your slicing, editing & export in another program such as Audacity, Audition, Sound Forge, WaveLab or, another DAW that has marker/region export.

Haven't used Ableton for some time due to lack of common or, easy to access features.

6. Legotron

Legotron Audiosexual

So ableton cannot export marker tracks as ind. files, am I correct? Feels kind of stupid to me..

7. ArticStorm

okay i found something in Ableton to crop after slicing, but somehow the transients are not to good, it found only 6 slices.

but here is the way to go in ableton: (from reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/ableton/comments/gyuif8/split_recording_of_one_shot_samples_into_several/)

have to do it manually - also Recycle fails, finds 11 slices on full sensitivity. will be a lot of work. :(:woot::snuffy:

8. Legotron

Legotron Audiosexual

Can you break it to smaller pieces, then recycle it? Could that help with the sensitivity?

9. Legotron

Legotron Audiosexual

Also does Geist vst have export function? I think i remember it had pretty good slicing options, this is just a guess, since I dont use it, I'm just throwing ideas:rofl:

10. mrichi

mrichi Producer

Ableton & Bitwig from what I understand handle split/sliced audio as audio events. They both do this a little differently with Bitwig being superior in the way it does this. Refer to Baphometrix on how Bitwig does this better than it's big brother/sister Ableton.

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  11. ArticStorm

didnt help at all, but i will try to slice it smaller, then i could do a couple of manual slices and take a break.

The drums do not really have sharp transients, thats why Ableton and Recycle cant set markers i guess.
    And there is also a bit of low level noise in the recording i guess.

12. mrichi

mrichi Producer

You can create custom libraries with Geist. It's just to complicated compared to a DAW or dedicated audio editor with required functions (imho).

13. Legotron

Legotron Audiosexual

Filtering might help for slicing, but then again youre altering the sound, but that way you could get the transients to the marker points, but that doesnt help if you cannot export markers..

14. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Looks like this could work with Reaper. If you send me the file I can try it.

splitting drums.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  15. joem

joem Producer

audacity has a auto cut tool

16. ArticStorm

haha i installed reaper a few hours ago, but yh let me send u the file!

17. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

'Bout time. [​IMG]

18. cexcean

cexcean Producer

check this out

https://www.newsonicarts.com/html/vice.php

It Does what you want but unfortunately it wont accept a 3 min long File. its just for Loops. Thought I'd just throw it out there - your post reminded me of it - its a real nice application

FL Studios native plugin Edison will let you slice and touch up each individual slice (normalize, trim fade etc.) and save highlighted red band and then you just move on to the next transient and highlight red band and save that wave sound of your Drum and so on

or I think you could auto marker every slice and export as is

whenever I want to record kits out of a synthesizer - I just play out all the sounds in a row and have a few minute recording and then go to Edison for the control of normalizing and saving each sound

Hope it helps

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
  19. Ad Heesive

Ad Heesive Audiosexual

I'm assuming @No Avenger's Reaper suggestion works well for the first part of your task - identifying all the slice points.
    and that would be great because the second part of your task (exporting the slices) is also brilliantly handled by Reaper.
    You wouldn't expect the 'exporting' part of the problem to be so time consuming, but when I faced a similar task I found that
    Reaper was way better than anything else for helping me automate all the file clip naming.
    It would have been insanely time consuming if not for Reaper's fabulous rendering/exporting facilities.
    Was discussed in these links.
    https://audiosex.pro/threads/chop-u...-to-create-short-wav-clips.55675/#post-504236
    https://audiosex.pro/threads/chop-u...-to-create-short-wav-clips.55675/#post-504362

20. clone

clone Audiosexual

@ "whenever I want to record kits out of a synthesizer"

Logic's Autosampler is perfect for this. So is SampleRobot, but it's expensive and no scene release for many versions.

In the Logic Arrange page, you can Control+T to split region at playhead. Then just drag the new regions down to auto create a new track for each, and delete the blank segments. This would address the file lengths being so long, as well.

Zero-X Beat Creator and Beat Quantizer used to be very useful to me on 32bit PC. A little better than Recycle 2.0 for external SCSI samplers.
    I do not remember if they handled such long files correctly, and I can't check. The Hitpoint Detection worked well though.

21. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

Since beat sync is not an issue in your case @ArticStorm, I would split the file by silent portions (cutting out all portions below a certain level threshold) and drop these onto the drum rack. I've been using the old WIndows tool "Waveknife" long ago which lets you adjust that level threshold and the minimum time that threshold has to be kept. You run it on the file end quickly end up with individual WAV files.
    No problems with transients being cut (like in Recycle!)
    Archived version:
    http://web.archive.org/web/20170523055943/https://www.spacetaxi.de/sf/waveknife.html

Adobe Audition 1.5 can do it as well, you can tell the batch processor to remove file portions below a certain level threshold and each edit will leave a marker at that position that can be converted to slice markers and used for splitting (or just embedding markers in) the file.