Chop up long wav file in Samplitude to create short wav clips?

Discussion in 'Samplitude' started by eldarktufa, Oct 1, 2020.

1. eldarktufa

eldarktufa Guest

I got bogged down trying to do this within Samplitude X2. Maybe I should do this in Wavelab? What do you think?

Many thanks!

3. Ad Heesive

Ad Heesive Audiosexual

I was doing something similar a while ago, and deliberately explored various alternatives.
    Lots of platforms can get it done - simply, especially if it's only a small amount of stuff you want to work on.
    But what I wanted was not just simple but very fast (crucial).
    I wanted to be able to listen to several hours of material - just once
    and end up with all of it split up into tiny well labelled files at the end of just one listening.

So the big issue was how to create split regions fast, preferably close to real time, every step being fast shortcut keys,
    and then have no fuss getting the regions exported and labelled the way I wanted, preferably automatically!

The winner (for me) was Reaper - I say that not especially as a Reaper fan, but Reaper does offer brilliant facilities,
    especially the auto naming of exported regions using your own wild card style labelling.
    That flexible auto namimg was where most other solutions failed me.
    For that auto naming aspect, Reaper saved me lots of time.
    30 minutes reading the relevant bits of the Reaper manual was well rewarded.

After getting all the clips I wanted (hundreds), when I wanted to batch process them all in various ways (which I did),
    then the clear winner for me was the free command line tool SoX. http://sox.sourceforge.net/ It's brilliant.
    Again, for me, speed (saving time) was the big issue and SoX batch processing delivered.

Reaper + SoX saved me many many hours.

4. Recoil

Recoil Guest

@eldarktufa You can do it without any problem in Samplitude.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2020
  5. eldarktufa

eldarktufa Guest

Thank you @Ad Heesive and @Recoil

Recoil - Sorry but your wordless point and shoot cursor moves went by so quickly my brain seized up. I'll see if I can slow it down some way. Thanks for the effort though.
    Ad Heesive - I'll check out Reaper again.

My audio wav clips are more freeform and so don't conform to strict bar markers. It's "Outside the Box" stuff.

6. Ad Heesive

Ad Heesive Audiosexual

Mine too, and large, that's why I was happy to face any learning curve to find tools that would really help.
    If you're going to check out Reaper for this task see the two videos below.
    - Regions and Markers is pretty standard stuff - just done very well in Reaper.
    - The Rendering flexibility is superb.

Markers & Regions

www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuatZlqqXac

Rendering

www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVHGzc3sB_I

7. eldarktufa

eldarktufa Guest

Thanks @Ad Heesive
    Just finished watching the Rendering vid. I had no idea of the depth Reaper can go. Kenny Gioa is a good teacher! The last part of the vid shows how to render different clips - very interesting. I'll add this vid to my Kenny Goia library.
    Your help much appreciated!