Recommend me some new headphones! - ($50 Budget)

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by birdboi, May 7, 2022.

1. pizzafresser

pizzafresser Producer

2. Valnar

Valnar Rock Star

Get a shitty one and save your money for something 100€ and upwards

Are there even decent mixing headphones? I don't think so, so get a cheap headset now and mixing/mastering headphones later

where, on the black market? google search shows me they cost 300 each

3. ᑕ⊕ֆᗰIᑢ

ᑕ⊕ֆᗰIᑢ Platinum Record

4. ziked

ziked Producer

Honestly, you will find nothing below $50 total including shipping and taxes. (Inflation is a bitch)

And you will not find many "gaming headsets" with drivers as good as monitoring headphones. Especially under $50.

But consider Samson SR850 or Audio-Technica M20x for serious budgets, they get the job done for beginners.

5. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

Koss Porta Pro (you can get this one with a mic), but while they sound decent, you should not rely on mixing decisions on a single set of headphones. Also they're on ear type, so they're not comfortable for longer sessions.

6. Ariel Gonzalez

Ariel Gonzalez Platinum Record

are in ear monitors ok?? if that is the case, moondrop chu - 20 bucks on aliexpress. neutral(ish), can choose to buy one with mic included

7. birdboi

birdboi Producer

Thanks for all the suggestions! I will check them out when I have some time! (currently out)

Also aerial, not sure what ear monitors are

.also yeah, all of you guys are probably right, getting quality headsets under 50 is probably not gonna be the easiest thing..

8. Ariel Gonzalez

Ariel Gonzalez Platinum Record

in ear monitors are basically earphones on ear (like those included the samsung smartphones some time ago). the one i pointed has good, and some people said justified, hype thanks to it's frequency response

9. Strat4ever

Strat4ever Rock Star

There are many pretty good headsets for under $50, just go to a store where there are demo units to try, I needed a good headset and bought a SADES SNUK Virtual 7.1 Surround Sound USB headset they sound really good and were only $35 I use them for at minimum of 6 hours a day every day and I've had them for well over 3 years, they are comfortable, well padded and sturdy with a metal strip inside the head band, it is very durable and has a mike.If I get a new set I will probably buy the SADES brand again because of the quality and durability and also being so very inexpensive. This is just my opinion so try different units from a variety of brands to suit your taste and needs, let your own ears decide what you like. Never mind listening to braggarts raving about their expensive units I've owned a set of KOSS Electrostatic headphones in the past and when they broke down it was throwing away money into the garbage bin, sure they sounded great but so what, who cares when you've wasted so much money on them nothing lasts forever.

Last edited: May 8, 2022
  10. orbitbooster

orbitbooster Audiosexual

Samson (open or closed) tested right now here (below 50euros):
    https://audiosex.pro/threads/test-your-hearing-range.64833/
    https://www.audiophileon.com/news/samson-sr850-superlux-hd681-review

11. aitken

aitken Ultrasonic

Save some more and have something that will last and will be at least good to work with

12. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  13. MINIGUNPUNK

MINIGUNPUNK Kapellmeister

Superlux HD 668b

14. signalflow

signalflow Rock Star

Save your money and buy some decent headphone. Beyerdynamic dt770 and 990s are on sale.

More importantly what audio interface do you have? A good DAC might be something to consider as well.