mixing using free plugins lately, using REAPER instead of Pro Tools now!

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by JustinIrradiation, Sep 20, 2015.

1. JustinIrradiation

JustinIrradiation Member

Hey everyone, I'm not so new to audio production but I am new to electronic music. I've been practicing making edm/hip-hop influenced stuff while learning to use REAPER (formerly used P.T.10). I'm totally open to collaborations and would it would be rad if anyone wanted to do vocals/rap on a track!
    I'm a metal/punk rock guy normally, I'd say my sound is pretty chill, hip hop influenced, with heavy drums.
    Using mostly all free plugins for mixing and sound design! (except the Massive risers and Battery 808s and 909s).

Really like the workflow, automation, editing, shortcuts, customizability, and track routing in REAPER, as well as the stock plugins and the JSFX are pretty rad too. I'm using a Pro Tools inspired theme to ease the transition between DAWs, haha.

Anyways, let me know what y'all think if you're interested!
    Please, feedback and criticism is welcome! Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
  3. JustinIrradiation

JustinIrradiation Member

Aannnd here's a couple more ideas I've been working on! I make a couple songs every week or so.
    I'd really appreciate any feedback, criticisms on the production, arrangement, mixing, etc.!!

I have been using REAPER exclusively now, as well as free VST synths and FX. Battery is nice for drums tho.
    Who else here mixes with free plugins/REAPER?

4. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

5. kouros

kouros Platinum Record

My last track was something I wrote, recorded and mixed in 3 days for a guitar competition. People commented on how good it sounded even though I had so little time to do it.. and they gasped when I told them it was all done in Reaper with 100% freeware (guitar and bass sound too).

You can check it here:

;)

6. JustinIrradiation

JustinIrradiation Member

Duh, totally shoulda done a thread search, oops. Any way it can be moved there?

@kouros:
    Nice bass tone, and good guitar tone, mind if I ask what your plugin setup is? Lepou or something similar?

7. kouros

kouros Platinum Record

Sure, no problem.

Guitar: JCM800 by Vadim Taranov and TSE 808 (plus some Voxengo reverb and Reaper multi delay)

Bass: TSE B.O.D., probably some VOS plugin with Saturation and Reacomp.

Both were slightly shaped with ReaEq.

The master track was also slightly shaped with Slick EQ.