Ok, been using Reaper for a few months now and...

Discussion in 'Reaper' started by kearnsy, Aug 13, 2015.

1. kearnsy

kearnsy Banned

I love it!

I've learnt how to construct a track, use the piano roll for midi, use vst's, record audio, add effects, just all the basic stuff really, but is there anything else I can do with it?

I know there is, but I'm pretty clueless really on anything apart from the basics

Any tips on what to get my head into?

Cheers guys

3. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

There is a lot of stuff under the hood. Any DAW will have a learning curve to get over, and as you come to hurdles in things you want to do , you will often find your question has been addressed and/or solved in the forum. The active and helpful user base of Reaper is one of the aspects to this software that really adds to your enjoyment and productivity.

Also to mention, there are some nice tutorials from Groove 3 that really go in depth with it. With some DAW's I learn how to
    do things, but still end up asking, well why did they do it that way?? With Reaper it's more the feeling, ok I see the logic and
    it makes sense ! Just don't feel the level of frustration that I have with other applications

explore different aspects of Reaper on Youtube as well, plenty of tips there

let the love continue :cheers:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2015
  4. korte1975

korte1975 Guest

i always loved how the aux/send system is implemented in Reaper. i still get lost in the endless menus sometimes, but i'm like you, i use it for tape-style recording-editing, nothing fancy.

5. rhythmatist

rhythmatist Audiosexual

Reaper would probably be my main DAW if I wasn't already knee deep in Adobe. Some DAWs seem more intuitive to a guy started out hanging in a real studio. Reaper and Audition seem closest to the model I'm comfortable with. Of course, ProTools was the original but a lot of home users got away from that, because for a long time, ProTools didn't allow any plug ins that weren't theirs. If I could afford Universal Audio/Apollo stuff, I think that would be nice. If my main thing was electronic/techno and computer music, I might be more into some of the other ones.

6. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

Sorry kinda off topic, but in response to @rhythmatist -Yeah Audition is pretty great for some stuff.
    *Its audio editing/cleaning abilities top every other DAW I've used. The spectral editing is second to none.
    *Its key combination assignments are just insane. You can essentially 'record' a sequence of events to a key combo. Like: click Start -> execute a series of actions, add plugins, etc -> click End -> assign key combo. Just awesome.

Originally I got away from it because I didn't know much and I thought something must be wrong with it because no one else used it :unsure:. Later on I got really comfortable with the workflow/abilities of a couple other DAWs and found them more suited to my needs. Plus Adobe never seemed to handle VSTs very smoothly for me. But that is not at all to say it's not a fantastic DAW if what you're doing is recording and editing audio. For midi based production... not so much. I'm pretty sure it doesn't even have a grid.

7. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Audiosexual

python *ba dum tss* :drummer:

8. Loop Threat

Loop Threat Ultrasonic

Reaper training was never all that unfortunately...I doubt there is or ever will be a Lynda series on it but I've learned that the best way to learn is to shut off youtube, fuck books and just open a given program and start screwing with it blindly (determination). Lynda I personally think is crap LOL

9. kearnsy

kearnsy Banned

OK cheers for the replies guys

I'm going to have a look at a few tutorials then, as I say, I'm comfortable with the basics now, but I'd like to delve further into reaper to see if I can get anything out of it that I wouldn't normally get from my usual way I work

Time for some experimentation I think

10. xsze

xsze Guest

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  11. rhythmatist

rhythmatist Audiosexual

----------------True about Audition and MIDI. If I want to work with MIDI, Studio One Artist came with my PreSonus AudioBox. And Reaper is really nice for that, too. But the edit mode in Audition has phase and spectrum analysis and phase auto correction, and you can apply some really heavy effects as a process instead of in the mix from there. Never had any trouble with VSTs. I have Adobe Premier for video and the two play nice together. I have been known to work synths in FL Studio and then export those files/tracks over to Audition

12. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

Yeah... when I first migrated from Audition to Studio One I was so bummed that every DAW didn't have this. Then I kept looking and found out that almost no DAW had it. Samplitude is the next best thing, which is part of why I eventually took such a shine to it.

Regarding the VSTs... the last version I used was CS6. Maybe it's since been improved. What would happen is it would literally take an hour to scan VSTs sometimes, and then occasionally it would lose all my plugins, and I'd have to spend another hour scanning.

13. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

Due to Reaper's excelling FX/IO routing capabilities, i use it for surround work.

But most people that do, use it for sidetracking.

Also look into parameter modulation with ACS & LFO. And parameter linking , and with linker4.