Mastering (Secrets)

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by darthloud, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

If you use Ableton EQ8 or the Utility can help you do this fairly easily.

This could work in any DAW using seperate audio tracks if you realize that
    the MID is the sum of the left and right (L+R) of a stereo channel and
    the SIDES are the difference (L-R or R-L) which is then scaled in amplitude by a half

https://theproaudiofiles.com/mid-side-processing/

EDIT - I forgot. To use Sends, instead of grouping and creating a chain you drop the Utility or EQ8 on separate tracks.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  2. ia

ia Producer

Hey ppl why are you laughtin as fuck? Let's share useful knowledge, that's so ez:mates:

3. ia

ia Producer

Ok that's material dependent, but is there always something what you do in every mix, so let's talk about it. But in general it's very interesting know some hints and tricks from all of you:wink:

4. darthloud

darthloud Producer

reverb 2 native plugin FLstudio > Mid or Side option > use 2 reverb set one mid max 5% and other Side max 20%
    or use 2 reverb plugin stereo set one for work 0-500hz (Mid) and other for work 500-5k or 10kHz (Side)
    and apply 5% Mide and 20% side

5. Oddlaga

Oddlaga Member

I rather use MDA Multiband for compression rather than OTT since OTT is a bit too noisy and extreme. Generally I'll compress the lows quite a bit, leave the mid (low mid, generally divide mid and highs a little above 1k) with just a bit of compression and crank up the highs. OTT can sound pretty dope on the drum bus though.

6. korte1975

korte1975 Guest

if single song i do it this way.

1. lower the source so it peaks around -20db .
    2. slate vtm -> saturate the signal .
    3. add 5-10% reverb .
    4. eq out resonant frequencies ( usually around 245 , 540 and 2khz) , mono under 100hz
    5. compress as much needed , slowish attack slowish release
    6. limit (+dither)

7. RedThresh

RedThresh Producer

Fabfilter Pro-R + Pro-Q2 can do that too!

8. Alpha0ne

Alpha0ne Producer

Best mastering trick is to add image line's maximuss at the end and cranck it up XD *irony off*

9. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

I also have a mastering secret to share.

Cytomics The Glue > Waves L2 > Waves L3 > Fabfilter Pro-L > PSP Xenon and just push all the knobs to 11. :wink:
    For some real polish and no dynamics at all I also use Slate Digital FX-G after Xenon. :winker:

Seriously speaking you can do everything by utilising this "mastering channel": a compressor into an EQ into a limiter, or possibly an EQ into a compressor, and then into a limiter. That's all there is to it folks. No alien technology. :wink: It is knowledge, experience, and trained ears that bring good results, not watching a youtube video. :winker:

Cheers!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  10. DJSabreblade

DJSabreblade Ultrasonic

The real secret >>>>>> AAMS :winker::wink: Highly recommend it. Mastering is very difficult without dedicated mastering facility.

11. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

CxO0h77WIAE3HVQ.jpg

12. dv8r171

dv8r171 Member

Mastering secrets? Lot's of work, experience, room treatments and specialized gear. There is no one size fits all processing chain. Each track may require different processing. Even formats have to be taken into consideration - mp3, vinyl, club, etc. Most pro mastering shops use hardware for mastering. Unless you know exactly what you're doing with those tools, you might as well pull out sausage fattener and call it a day. But hey...don't take my word for it. Have you given any consideration to a/d conversion or dithering? What most people in here consider "mastering" is really loudness and smashing that shit down to -4 RMS dbs.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  13. dv8r171

dv8r171 Member

Wow...don't get out much do you?

14. dv8r171

dv8r171 Member

lmao! Exactly!!!!!!!!!!!

15. Iggy

Iggy Rock Star

Cutting everything below 30 Hz is equal to what you lose by mastering to tape (which is why a lot of people still do it). I lop off everything below 60 Hz-80 Hz per track in a full mix that isn't a kick drum or a bass guitar/bass synth, and in some instances, as much as 120 Hz or 160 Hz, depending on what the track is and how necessary the bass frequencies are in that track.

16. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

As some have stated, it is first and foremost the trained, experienced ear that matters most, then its the gear (plugs/outboard) and thorough knowledge of how to use it. I gave some answers and an listening example here https://audiosex.pro/threads/mastering.28595/
    I 'd be happy to answer any question, cheers

17. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

Whenever you see a blogpost with a title like "secrets about mastering you didn't know" or "magic chains that bing your shit to the next level" somewhere on social media groups just be aware, that this is probably written by someone who does more writing than mixing and mastering. His Business is being a blogger not an engineer. And his goal is to acquiere clicks to earn money. So therefore I'd say: there's no shortcut to experience.

And in the end it is nothing more than: tonal balance. Some Compression, EQ, Imageing (maybe), Limiting. Done.

18. haha

haha Ultrasonic

Yes! There is a greatest mastering secret!

It's called a (near) perfectly controlled listening system: a great room and a killer set of speakers(/amps).

That + a great ton of experience and you've got yourself a world class master. Oh, you'll need a good eq, too. THAT'S ALL, folks. There's no way around that, believe me.

PS: adding reverb in mastering is definitely NOT a mastering 'secret', it's that thing that gets used once in 6 months if you master some acoustic recording that was poorly trimmed at the end, that kind of stuff. Adding reverb in mastering BY DEFAULT is one of the dumbest things I've read. Even iZotope removed the reverb module in Ozone, maybe because it invited newbies to ruin their records with it.

19. Teletoby

Teletoby Member

i do mastering for living, and the fist approach should be, to EQ out frequencies you do not want (it should be subtractive) if you must boost, use a phase linear EQ, but the EQ should be as clean as possible. Any other processing depends on the musical content and if its necessary. There is no preset. Always listen and decide. If you wanna know or learn a bit about mastering, i could master a song while you listen live and compare :) during the process.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  20. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

Yeah sure. And donkeys fly as well. If you had done your homework, you 'd know that my posts here are separated with a long long time period. Only because i rarely have enough time to spare and contribute to the few communities i'm involved in from time to time. These holidays i took the time again but will soon be over as much as i like to contribute. You can also follow the hints from the links (or just ask) and find who i am, what's my studio, what's my background etc etc. I don't hide in anonymity. Only reason i write these posts is to enlight if i can, and give some personal insight by a WORKING professional. You can choose to dismiss every and any info coming to you, but that wouldn't mean you are not an ignorant malevolent person with intent to disorient and diminish. Blogger? Lol, i have never been involved in blogging, ever. I earn nothing from clicks anywhere, i have no affiliates or sponsors you moron. But i am proud of my work and the people i work with and never afraid to showcase. People like you wouldn't be able to tell what's true from fake even if it was in front of them.
    You should go to David Pensado and call him a blogger lol, he keeps a "blog" called Pensado's place and tell him what you told us here.
    Sheeesh