Mastering

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by enenby, Jan 5, 2017.

1. enenby

enenby Newbie

what are the best plug-in for mastering? I have logic pro X (waves plug in), trap music, hip hop

3. coolbeanz

coolbeanz Platinum Record

ok...

easy answer: iZotope Ozone 7, IK Multimedia T-RackS, Slate Digital FG-X Mastering Processor, etc. if you want something quick using presets for on-the-fly pressings.

now the hard answer...

mastering, itself, is an art form which requires a whole different discipline outside of mixing. i don't know your level of mixing experience, but:

1) is your mix good enough to be mastered, or do you feel like it can use more work?
    2) does your track have enough headroom for mastering to be effective?
    3) did you gain stage your individual tracks in the DAW before mixing?

and several other questions that, if not answered right, could bite you on the ass during the mastering phase.

this isn't to discourage you; i'm sure most of us here on AS had to go thru these things, but if you REALLY are interested in mastering, you'll jump down that rabbit-hole & dig for real lessons and information on this art form.

then you'll realize that the plug-ins i named, you may not even want to use, because you'll find other software that suits when you'd like to hear from your mastering efforts. not to say they're not great plug-ins (because they are!), but there's literally a TON of software out there that can be used for all the mastering steps: different saturators, bus compressors, eq's, soft clippers, limiters, dither plugins, and the like.

there is no simple answer to your question, but it depends on what you're looking to get from the experience.

disclaimer: others may answer this differently, which is always a good thing. :yes:

good luck! :like:

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  4. enenby

enenby Newbie

Thanks a lot for Your Answer and for Your time! I know you do the mastering is an art, but to me it would be enough base to make mastering to My Song :yes:

5. alboz

alboz Ultrasonic

Hello..every Daw have the plugins u need for mastering.dont listen to people which is best or not best..its not like 1 + 1 =2.. for mastering u need limiter compressor eq ..this is most used..
    Best to use that plugins of the Daw u use..ozone t-racks is good but u have inside eq compressor. .So a compressor in your daw can do same work like in a compressor in ozone..... why u must pay 2 times for same thing! I can master a song with fl studio maximus and get much better sound then ozone or even waves..important is to know how to use the plugins..

6. G String

G String Rock Star

What you probably want is a mastering tool with a ton of presets.

See which sound the best and then try and work out why they sound better.

Ozone? A pile of presets, a decent interface.

7. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

Yes, agreed. I would add to select a "mild" preset just so you are on the safe side, not to squash your track eliminating all dynamics.
    My advice though would be, if you feel your track has any potential at all, or want to really market it, leave the mastering job to the professionals. What do the pros have that you may not ? Specialized training, experienced ears and expensive/accurate gear to utilize for mastering.
    Cheers

8. G String

G String Rock Star

But apart from that? :rofl:

9. willnubu75

willnubu75 Ultrasonic

I see a lot of 3rd party options, but what you got in LPX is plenty. You're mastering Trap/Hip Hop tracks so Logic's Toolbox has all you need. If you just want a preset so you don't have to do the mastering work, I know Ozone 7 has a actual Trap preset & you could probably build off that.

10. recycle

recycle Guest

@coolbeanz
    This is a good answer:

I’ll say that you need also an adequate control room and audio monitors.

Monitors:

Pro-audio speakers
    in your case, for trap and hiphop, you need a solid low frequency response (20-100 hz). In my opinion. is better to avoid subwoofer.

[​IMG]
    Adam Audio A77X: very good reference monitors

average speakers
    To check what your mix will sound like in standard condition of listening (es. car hifi systems, shops, home audio)

[​IMG]
    Yamaha NS10: a classic

Lo-fi speaker
    Boombox (or something similar)
    to hear what your mix will sound like when played back over small “bass-challenged” systems (es. smartphones, clock radios)

[​IMG]

Avantone Active MixCube: smooth, transparent top end response

Control room:

If your room needs acoustic treatment, do yourself a favour: invest on it. In case is a home studio: try to avoid to have naked walls. Sofa, pillows, library shelves, heavy curtains will help you with sound reflections and fight frequency response weirdness.

11. G String

G String Rock Star

**** dude's on commission

$$$$$$

:D

12. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

I am sorry but what you describe is typical gear and general advice for mixing, not mastering. Mastering level gear is actually the point where hi fi and pro audio gear collide. I provide "semi" and "low" budget (but not free) mastering services and my gear is "almost" there and trust me, it doesn't come cheap. To give an example, gear used on one of the latest tracks i mastered is, Manley Massive Passive EQ, DBX 160S compressor, Empirical Labs Distressor Compressor/Limiter, Cranesong HEDD 192 AD/DA, and various plugins. Monitors used were the Focal Twin6 Be and Sub 6 (a 2.1 system).The track, a remix of Hollywood Principle by the very talented imho Kevin Frey, is included in the popular online game Rocket League :

Cheers
    Edit: A much better sounding version (youtube sounds like it was limited again lol) is here, which is where the track won the remix contest and got the feature in the game: https://indabamusic.com/opportuniti...missions/25ebaf46-71be-11e5-b543-0e71cabc7a3b

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017