Macbook Pro 2011 15 # Grey Screen ...Need help

Discussion in 'Mac / Hackintosh' started by Retrolize77, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Retrolize77

Retrolize77 Audiosexual

Thx , appreciate the quick reply. I hope they dont try the reflow method, fixing the thermal paste of the graphic card. But as they need up to 3 weeks, your theory with ebay logic board sounds most possible. Hopefully if they do this, the MB will last 1-2 years. But they didnt let me know yet which problem / failure they think it is. Im curious!

Question for you great AS-people:

If i would get my money back, and put 200 Euros on top, which mac would you buy just for music stuff, not new, but in good condition.

As i use it just at home, an imac would be nice cause of the big screen. But are the affordable ones fast enough for nowadays daw/plugz? Macbookwise, i think the 13 # screen is to stall for me, but is any of the 15# screens „poluted“ with the graphic problem issue?

As i good my plugz in mac format, it would be painful to switch to windows. But moneywise, it may be a good point, what windows computer would you buy for 600-800 bucks for music?

2. willnubu75

willnubu75 Ultrasonic

I had a similar problem with my 2011 iMac. I think when I upgraded to Sierra, is when my graphic card started having problems & did what your MacBook pro started doing. Mines showed grey blueish screen before doing what yours did.

3. Retrolize77

Retrolize77 Audiosexual

Damn, thx for the info. So if i am forced to buy another „used“ imac/macbook, i should take care its sierra-compatible longterm, not an easy task i guess!

4. beatroot

beatroot Producer

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. willnubu75

willnubu75 Ultrasonic

If you don't care about upgrading to the latest or newer macos, just fix the graphics card. If you do, it's best to get a newer Mac. Better in the long run.

• List
  6. smoke

smoke Noisemaker

I suggest you buy a new/used macbook and don't repair that ones. Someone tried to fix the Nvidia problem but it's not forever, the repair could work for a week or for months. Take a look at a 15" mid 2015 Macbook, I think is one of the best and the latest of its retina serie so less problem like no Nvidia card on it, usb-a and also hdmi ports are included.

• List
  7. Retrolize77

Retrolize77 Audiosexual

Thx, sounds good!! Unfortunately i cant afford it actually. I wait if they „fix“ it, and gotta see what will happen. But i will remember your suggestion, thank you, appreciated

8. noize2sound

noize2sound Kapellmeister

You will still get a good money from a working Mac..... Dude if you stuck again in some months you will be in big trouble. Try to sell & get used one 2016 or 17 model

• List
  9. Retrolize77

Retrolize77 Audiosexual

Hm,this seems to make sense. Good point, thx

10. Retrolize77

Retrolize77 Audiosexual

11. ptpatty

ptpatty Platinum Record

If your HDD is blank I'm betting that the drive itself was the problem. Mine failed with the same symptoms. I hope they didn't charge you too much if all they did was pop out the old drive and install a new one.

• List
  12. Retrolize77

Retrolize77 Audiosexual

Was for free fortunately, guarantee 30 months, so...
    You mean it could possibly been the hd drive which was the problem?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
  13. noize2sound

noize2sound Kapellmeister

Bro, When you have a trouble always go for the most common cause. 2011 Macbook pro is famous for graphic card malfunction (Check net) these people may have replaced the card or the whole logic board, I am not sure. Keep an eye on your laptop, if fan is running high speed then get rid of this MBP ASAP

14. ptpatty

ptpatty Platinum Record

Absolutely! Did they tell you what the problem was? I guess it's possible that it was a software problem and they reinstalled the OS.

15. Retrolize77

Retrolize77 Audiosexual

They told me it will be something written down from the repairer in the resended mbp, but wasnt.
    But the did something, took 4 wooks, and now seems to work fine. I gotta give em a phonecall what they did to it!

16. signalflow

signalflow Rock Star

Sounds like time for an upgrade. Maybe do a hackintosh. PC laptops are generally inexpensive and you should be able to hack 75% of them. I did one on a Asus rog not too long ago and it's a fucking beast!

I personally won't be buying another Mac system again not because of the hardware (Macs have beautiful hardware) but more because of price and limitations.

17. Retrolize77

Retrolize77 Audiosexual

I agree, but money is an issue, 3 kids to feed. Happy it works, lets see how long it will do!thx

18. signalflow

signalflow Rock Star

I totally understand. I have 2 kids and things get expensive quick