KLU (Kontakt Library Utility)

Discussion in 'Mac / Hackintosh' started by Fred Bloggs, Dec 19, 2022.

1. noisyneil

noisyneil Newbie

@Fred Bloggs, thankyou so much for all your efforts and the outstanding ease-of-use of this tool. Hats off to you, sir!

Unfortunately, I'm not having any luck getting K7 to recognise any of my older libraries, with newly generated nicnt files. Hopefully I'm not the only one and there's something simple I'm missing...?

upload_2023-2-21_20-16-24.png

2. belalugosi

belalugosi Producer

Why the f**k youre generating new nicnt for Kontakt 7 ???

Libs for K5 and K6 show up perfectly in K7 without that totally unuseful job !

3. noisyneil

noisyneil Newbie

4. DarkKnight

DarkKnight Noisemaker

Ok so update from me @Fred Bloggs:

Every time I open it now, it takes ages to open up. Maybe 30 seconds. Then once it does, it scans my whole library or SNPID list or whatever every time. Every time it does this over again and it takes at least 15 minutes or more. So obviously I can't live with/use it if it does that. FYI it didn't do that with your original version. But the last 2 have both done this.

Once it's done scanning and I'm in, I still have a problem with installing the library. Like the last time when I posted, it says it was successfully installed, but it didn't. It didn't create the files that are needed like an XML in the service centre folder or anything. When I open kontakt, it doesn't show up (obviously). If I run KItty's original scripts, the library is added straight away without a hitch. This is using the nicnt that KLU made, so there's nothing wrong with that side of operations, but the install function is simply not working.

5. steeth2

steeth2 Newbie

Every library I've tried creating a nicnt file with KLU for has worked for me, up until now for some reason. I tried the newly released NoizeBreaker from Sick Noise, and for some reason Kontakt doesn't show the library after installing it with the Kitty script? The nicnt and the corresponding xml file in the Service Center has the same SNPID number, and I didn't do anything different other than installing the 1.0.4 version of KLU. I've previously used the 1.0.3 version which has worked with every library I've tried, but this time it didn't work. I also noticed in version 1.0.4 that some of the buttons in the menus were in french again, as they were in earlier versions. So I tried removing version 1.0.4 and installing version 1.0.3 again that has worked up until now for me, but for some reason, some of the menus are in french in the 1.0.3 version now as well, and creating and installing a nicnt file with 1.0.3 didn't work for NoizeBreaker there either.

I'm on a fully specced 2020 27 inch Intel iMac, running the latest version of Monterey.

6. Fred Bloggs

Fred Bloggs Platinum Record

Version 1.1.0 in the first post
    I'm not sure what's going on for you guys. It all works fine for me both on Ventura and High Sierra (and others in between). It will NOT run on El Capitan and before ! I haven't been able to try on Sierra, but it should work on that OS too.
    @steeth2 I just downloaded NoizeBreaker and installed it without problem with KLU 1.1.0. Running fine for me on K7. I've not had time to check in K6.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2023
  7. jazzzz

jazzzz Platinum Record

I want to give you a correction, previously I said that when I clicked on the app to open, first it started to search for Kontakt libraries and just after that gave me the prompt of Gatekeeper. I must have been wrong. What it showed me probably first was checking the app. (I likely confused it because it's named similarly: Kontakt Library Utility). Not that it matters much about the fact that it may not run on El Capitan.

The thing is, this case scenario is getting obsolete because the latest Kontakt version that runs on El Capitan is 6.0.3 and many releases from the past years require at least 6.1.1
    So, don't worry about it. People can still use KiTTY's script or the old Kontakt 5 method. Where these don't work are mostly related to newer Kontakt versions, I think.

8. klander

klander Noisemaker

Me too since i update to BIG Sur, specially after a security update i can´t create any "non nicnt library" and see in K6 or K7 , i ´ve done near from 3 hundred with Nicnt Creator and now i can´t with Creator or KLU, it doesn´t write anything in the Service Center folder, no XML is written and any other place(/preferences or/and /user/preferences),

i checked a whole bunch of things like folder access permissions, install, unistall compare snpid number, create xml by myself..., BUT still i can install in K6 and K7 libraries with nicnt file with wallpaper embeebed(Kontakt Player libraries) with Add Kibrary feature in K 5.6.0.as always.

I´ve check too security access to the whole system external volumes and all the OSX extremly over-protected options in preferences system

For the moment i´m running them in quick load menu within Kontakt, but i can´t install, suddenly since 1 month ago, the nicnt is created in the library folder but not the xml in the N.I. Service Center folder so.....nothing is show in K6 or K7 with its wallpaper obviously, and i did near 300 or so till now, taking care always witthe repeated or similar snpid and no problem, I don´t know what is going wrong me? system? OS UPDATE? rise a limit?:dunno: I write this now beacuse i read the whole messages and tried everything ican, huge work and nothing, so i´m searching for a solution which in these situations should be the most foolish thing or silly detail, for sure....:rofl:

Thanks for reading!!

Last edited: Feb 26, 2023
  9. certifiedbeatz

certifiedbeatz Newbie

Interesting..

10. Fred Bloggs

Thanks for the update. The main reason for it not being compatible with El Capitan is that I use plist routines that were only introduced on Mac OS Sierra. I have been unable to install a Sierra to do tests, but I HAVE tested on High Sierra and it works fine on that - hence my reserves about Sierra - I just didn't test it on that system.

11. Indivism

Indivism Newbie

Hi @Fred Bloggs ! I downloaded the most recent 1.1.0 version and it seems that it has started crashing with the OutOfBoundsException, the same one seen on 1.0.4. However, I used your 1.0.4.1 version you recompiled on High Sierra and it works fine for me with no startup crash. I was wondering if you could also recompile 1.1.0 on High Sierra as well? Thank you so much <3

12. archenemy98

archenemy98 Newbie

@Fred Bloggs , I'm having trouble trying to install a few libraries downloaded from KontaktLRG on 1337x. The folder structure looks just fine and they each come with an nicnt file that shows the wallpaper and everything in KLU, but I can't get them to show up in Kontakt 7. I've tried using the add library scripts from bob dule and the libraries all show up in the list view of KLU. I can navigate to the NKI files of each individual instrument within Kontakt but it show up as DEMO mode in Kontakt. Also, there are .xml files in the service center but no plist files in the preferences folders.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2023
  13. Fred Bloggs

OK guys… sorry I've been a bit long getting back to you all, but I've been using all my spare time (wife permitting! :)) to get an update out to you. I have just posted it in the first thread… version 1.2.0. I compiled it on High Sierra and tested it on MacOSs 10.13, 10.14, 10.15, 12 and 13. Worked fine for me on all these systems :wink:.
    There are many bug fixes and tweaks but the really major update is removing Kitty scripts entirely. I wasn't happy with the way I was able to control them to meet Apple requirements for running sudo commands so I decided to write my own routines and run them in a more Apple friendly manner. I must admit that I'm rather happy with the results and so far, I have had zero failure rates at either installing or removing libraries… and I've tried dozens of them !
    Let me know how it goes for you guys :thumbsup:, :dunno: or :(.

14. Fred Bloggs

Try the new 1.2 version :wink:
    Same for @Indivism :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  15. Fred Bloggs

This I think has been cured by replacing the embedded Kitty scripts by my own proprietary routines in V 1.2.0. Let me know…

16. Fred Bloggs

I have been unable to reproduce this slow loading behaviour that you're experiencing. The closest I get to sluggishness is when my 10TO sample drive has spun down when I launch KLU ! The time for it to spin up and do a disk scan, or whatever it is the system does on spinning up a disk, can indeed take 20 to 30 seconds ! In the old days, I would have said it was probably down to disk fragmentation, but according to Apple and other well informed sources, this is no longer a problem nowadays so I really dont know why it takes all that time :dunno:. As to installation problems, try my latest 1.2 version running my own brew of installation and removal routines rather than Kitty scripts. I have personally found them far more reliable… 100% for me so far !

17. Indivism

Indivism Newbie

Hi Fred! Just tried the new 1.2.0 version on Monetery M1 12.6.3. Still an outofboundsexception crash on startup :( I even used the fresh preferences file that you uploaded as well. Could I be missing something?

18. Indivism

Indivism Newbie

@Fred Bloggs Ok this is interesting. I managed to get past the outofboundsexception crash on startup by editing the com.fbloggs.klu.plist file. I had to remove all these entries from the exclusion list

<string>Absynth*</string>
    <string>Battery*</string>
    <string>Controller Editor.xml</string>
    <string>FM8*</string>
    <string>Guitar Rig*</string>
    <string>Kontakt*</string>
    <string>NativeAccess*</string>
    <string>ProductHints.xml</string>
    <string>Rammfire*</string>
    <string>RC*</string>
    <string>Reaktor*</string>
    <string>Reflektor*</string>
    <string>Service Center*</string>
    <string>Traktor*</string>

After saving, then the program opens normally.

19. Indivism

Indivism Newbie

@Fred Bloggs Ok an update. After trying to delete each entry one by one, I think I found the main culprit behind all the crashes in the previous versions! It turns out I do not have NI Service Center installed at all, and after removing <string>Service Center*</string> from the exclusion list in the preferences file, KLU opens and works just fine and everything is functional, no crashing at all. For the folks who dont like/use NI Service Center, maybe there is a way to code a workaround for it? If not, no worries! Feel free to use my message as a troubleshooting tool for those who might be in the same situation as I am in :)

20. jazzzz

jazzzz Platinum Record

so, does it mean that in case someone's mac doesn't have any of these in the above exclusion list, it will crash? Or only the absence of Service Center can cause the problem? This is interesting, if something in a code is written to an exclusion list, why does it matter for the system? The script is meant to ignore those lines and not to look for them, isn't it?