Is instrumentalism (esp the Guitar - the western world’s most popular one) on the way out and Dying?

Discussion in 'Education' started by foster911, Sep 8, 2016.

1. foster911

foster911 Guest

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

Have you got blind, deaf or just lost your mind??? :dunno::dunno: :rofl:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  4. SyNtH.

SyNtH. Platinum Record

foster you have some hardcore disattachment from real instruments ,i wonder if you have ever played a real instrument... Of course they arent going anywhere. If you wanna look at trends within the "charts", its all electronic shit in the charts, or indie, which uses guitar pretty predominantly. Trends change for sure, and cycles will shift in and out with rehashed shit (in the charts specifically). TBF who gives a shit about chart music? You in it for the music or money? Guitarists just arent on the front page (visually) but i guarantee there are session producers/ghost guitarists for these chart people, especially when they play live. Rock isnt the forefront genre like it was 10-20+ years ago. I think your definition of instrument is too tight too. There are lots of digital methods of expression that can also be used in production and in live sets and with extensive soundbanks (drum libs, strings, sample one shots) that exist nowadays that provides for more flexibility, that can an extensive level of articulation (enough to satisfy a live performance), using tools like mpcs, MIDI sliders and knobs and buttons and digi drum kits. Humans are always going to want some form of physical expression in their live performances, it is what connects us to what we are playing. My point is that although the physical medium may change or shift (or not go anywhere in the case of guitars) the need for expression will always need to be sated in a live performance.

What about the ROLI? Adds some pretty cool possibilites for expression? I have no doubt that tech will enable us to do more. Its just about how it is used and how you articulate the tools you have.

You use some odd and outdated sources with heavy bias too...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. Impressive

Impressive Guest

It's not disappearing. It's just that the world favors shitty artists like Nicki Minaj (that fucking pig. I wish someone would just kill her) Miley Cyrus (who deserves to be thrown screaming from the space shuttle) Kanye (who deserves to be taken up to the top of his ego by the Italian Mafia & forced to base jump to his super low IQ with no parachute) & Iggy Azalea (who really needs to just go choke & die) & Lady Gaga (who's mute button needs to be fixed really badly) oh, and Beyonce (if I say my choice words about her, I'll get banned. I need to take the mean jokes down a notch, anyway).
    You wanna hear some good bands/artists who play real instruments & don't use too many computer stuff? Go find these guys:
    Motion City Soundtrack
    Moving Mountains
    Parachute
    Angels & Airwaves
    Third Eye Blind
    Phoenix
    JMSN
    3 Doors Down
    Windsor Drive
    Carolina Liar
    Simple Minds
    Jack's Mannequin
    Blink 182
    The Boxer Rebellion
    Luce
    Calogero
    Enation
    Daysleepers
    Great Northern
    Exit Calm
    Film School
    Jimmy Eat World
    Morning Parade
    The Hunna
    Weaver At The Loom
    Tycho
    Guster
    Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds
    Civil Twilight
    Eddi Front
    Eskimo Joe
    Plumb
    Vancouver Sleep Clinic
    All American Rejects

Plenty more where that came from.

Even guys who use the computer for almost everything, have some good stuff.
    Examples:
    M83
    Owl City
    Me (lol, sorry I had to)
    Paul Van Dyk
    OceanLab
    Above & Beyond
    Monarchy
    Sunny Lax
    Jaytech
    The Madison
    Lights
    London Grammar
    The Vaults
    & so many others.

You're only limited to how far your own creativity can extend. So in the end, if the sky were to burn out & electricity/power/generators were to fade into a global myth, you still couldn't blame it on the aliens when you're out of ways to make music. That's the fault of you're own creativity & willingness to improve past the keyboard.
    Therefore, I just grilled this thread to a redundancy. You're welcome. :mates:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2016
  6. famouslut

famouslut Audiosexual

@foster911 I dunno if instrumentalism is dying; maybe it's just changing and evolving? Or dormant and fossilised? But (re: guitar) hasn't rock "died" in almost evry decade since it began? As far as instruments go; I mean, I'm thinking of starting 2 learn new instrument & wanna, so maybe instruments are making a comeback? Just rly, rly slowly!

Wow bro, u just got rly angry & nasty @ music that u don't like, 4 reasons unexplain. Or maybe explanation is 'cos women / black ppl aren't allowed 2 make music? Although Noel Gallagher (!) is? U know, opinions.

7. Impressive

Impressive Guest

Nothing to do with Women/black people, mate. They can make music, but Kanye isn't music in my opinion. That guy has too much fame & it's gone to his head. There are plenty of black artists I DO like - such as Seal, The Weeknd, Lionel Richie, The Sugarhill Gang, Prince, Louis Armstrong, BB King, Jimi Hendrix, and more. Plus plenty of female artists I like - Grimes, Joan Jett, Ingrid Michaelson, Alanis Morissette, Lana Del Rey, Lights, Savannah Outen, Avril Lavigne, Stevie Nicks, The Cranberries, 10,000 Maniacs, Aretha Franklin, etc.
    My point was that society gives these "kings" too much fame. I didn't say they weren't allowed to make music. But here's the problem - they're not entirely famous for JUST their music. They're famous for being jerks & saying controversial things & endorsing products & gaining media exposure. They're famous because the damn paparazzi won't stop giving them colonoscopies with their big gargantuan Canon EOS cameras. Bieber pisses in a bucket & the world goes nuts. These boy bands are famous for their "pretty looks" that make the 13 year old girls go crazy. Remember when it didn't take looks to make it big in music? Remember when it was mostly about the music & not all this other bullcrap? I know things will never be like they were back then, but when people complain that there's no good music anymore or that real instrumentation is dying, that's when I worry. There is good music out there. It's called "underground" stuff. You're not gonna find the good people on that TV screen of yours. You're gonna have to do some digging. Hence, one reason why it's called "underground". It's like a treasure hunt. :wink:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  8. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Stringed instruments are hundreds of years old and I don't think they are going to suddenly stop using them now, or any time in the future.

Computer instruments are a cost saving exercise for those who can't afford real orchestras or guitar players, and you will find that they don't improve the quality of the music, it's just more convenient (and cheaper).

9. The Teknomage

The Teknomage Rock Star

I think you need to a little bit less of that thinking lark, and concentrate on making music.
    Less thinking. More producing.
    Also your information is 4 years out of date.

10. famouslut

famouslut Audiosexual

The diff between those two ^ & Miley Cyrus, Gaga or Beyonce is paper thin. U could argue that the latter three have done more for music than the other two. And I prolly would. But I don't rly have time or patience! It's just gonna give u an ulcer if u get angry about how many twitter followers Kanye has. Just watch (the whole of) this South Park ep:

11. foster911

foster911 Guest

So happy my dear friend commenting on the my threads.:wink:

As you know 21st century is more different from its predecessors with its innovation on sound creation. I'm not defending the laziness of the producers (perhaps the main reasoning of the article's author on Guardian) but sometimes instruments' timbre is going to be boring as all get out and they're losing their interests to me. Please read this once again:
    https://audiosex.pro/threads/so-you...truments-do-you-play.25738/page-6#post-199640

Yes, the technology has not replaced the agility and playing techniques of the performer more yet and I don't think it can do in the near future too but I really need new sounds. Me (as a simple dawisher) can produce any synthesized sound virtually that no one has heard it before but for the instruments the sounds are almost fixed and unfortunately do not make my emotions come alive anymore.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2016
  12. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Vibrating strings are organic and depend on your touch, even two different people cannot get the same sounds out of a single guitar, cello, violin, etc.

Also, one of the oldest instruments is the human voice, and people didn't tire of that yet :)

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  13. The Teknomage

The Teknomage Rock Star

Then maybe you should spend some time learning to play one, and see if you feel the same.

14. foster911

foster911 Guest

Today I was trying to make some stupid melodies. I tried more than 200 sounds. I was almost taken aback. Any of those melodies worked fine with just some of the sounds not all (the importance of the timbre). If those sounds were not available, be sure on no account I could make most of them using just acoustical sampled sounds and the process would die aborning. I can not get my thoughts across completely but It's what it's.

15. famouslut

famouslut Audiosexual

Rly? I guess I think the other way around. I mean, don't u (subconciously even) equate synth sounds (harmonics, even) 2 the real life instrument that it sounds a little bit like? I mean I guess I still let my synth brass "player" breathe, but maybe that's out of routine?

Well, there's a new resonator born every minute. I don't just mean Sylenth presets.

16. Funk U

Funk U Platinum Record

Which has been most peoples point, you are making "stupid melodies" and are more concerned with the random sounds synths can make, instead of composing meaningful melodies and rhythms. Most composers, compose on only 1 instruments (guitar,piano, etc) especially back in the day when even owning a piano was luxury few could afford. Case in point, i've heard a lot of the same classical pieces performed by symphonies and played on piano only. And i was able to recognize the same song in all cases.

So a well composed song holds up no matter the instruments being used, and changing timbre only changes the presentation, a.k.a. the genre.

17. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

For me the litmus test for any music is can it stand alone on an acoustic instrument (voice, guitar, piano, etc). If it can then the composition is structurally sound.

18. The Teknomage

The Teknomage Rock Star

When creating melodies, it's always best to start with a simple sound, and then when your done, play with the sound and adjust the melody to suit. Strangely enough a piano works well for this. That's why most good keyboard players tend to also have a piano.

19. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Melodies also interact with harmonies, so you can have a lot of fun on a piano.

20. Impressive

Impressive Guest

This segment is GOLD :hahaha::lmao:

21. Burninstar

Burninstar Platinum Record

Music is becoming more diverse all the time. This would make string instruments indispensable in some genres. Bluegrass ect...