i'm on a big dilemma!!install windows!!

Discussion in 'Mac / Hackintosh' started by Nightwalker, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Rhodes

Rhodes Audiosexual

@studio5599
    old Specs? I got a i12 triple core 10.9 cpu with 300 ggis of ram 4gig video card ! Piss off ya do

2. eugeneathome

eugeneathome Noisemaker

If you join the slate digital everything plan for 15 bucks a month, you get a bundle of killer plug-ins, as well as the Sgear amp sim included as part of the bundle. It really is a great deal for just 15 bucks a month. He's always coming out with new plug-ins, and his plug-ins are very, very good!

3. Kloud

Kloud Guest

Yeah agreed Slate (Well Fabrice, his carefully constructed team and the other developers whose ideas he's stolen) make real good plugins. :yes:
    They are quality no doubt.
    However thing for me that I can't stand is the way he markets it.
    He goes round and makes it sound like your going to own the plugins outright if you subscribe or pay a certain amount up front.
    Example, last xmas deal, pay 149 dollars and own EVERYTHING.
    They are often pretty murky indeed with the information. Coincidence :dunno:
    Needless to say the reality was the user wouldn't ever own anything.
    Knew a few who paid 150 thinking they owned all the plugins only to tell them what they actually owned was rental for a year only.
    They got pretty upset when told.
    I accept it's all in the smallprint but I find his methods a little deceptive.
    Also I know subscription is cool for certain users but for me personally as a long term investment I don't get it.
    He's even going round now talking about how users don't really get any value by paying for his plugins outright and how there exists a huge argument blah,blah blah.
    If that's the case and users don't get value then drop your prices Mr Slate so that they do get value.
    Follow the example of Tony Frenzel and some of the other real fair Dev's out their and drop your prices. :)
    Maybe if they didn't invest so heavily in crappy protections that can now be bypassed they could pass the savings on to the customer and give them value for money. :dunno:
    Yeah so subscription for me personally a no go on this.
    180 dollars a year to rent some plugins.
    No good for me personally but if useful for some then cool. Maybe I'm wrong or biased or whatever.
    In conclusion, yeah the plugins are great but there just something about Mr Slate, his business practices his bullshit marketing rhetoric that I personally don't subscribe to.
    However if it works for you that's all that matters :bow:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  4. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

5. Kloud

Kloud Guest

For sure, good point u make and I agree there a lot more they could do or offer that would make it more attractive and useful rather than the way they sometimes do. Don't know if they quite changed it yet but could be a user who owns 10 plugins. Does he have to pay 15 dollars also to lease?? :bow:

6. Guitarmaniac64

Guitarmaniac64 Platinum Record

Well just load in impulses on the other ampsims as S-gear dont really sound any more "real" than the others as it is the redwirez impulses that make it sound a little more realistic than the others..
    Try compare amp only remember NO CAB NO EFFECTS you may have to dig in deep in settings to turn everything off
    And of course use the same amp they try to simulate :)
    Set the setting equally on every ampsim you may have to adjust volym so it matches in volym if someone is more loud than the other lower that instead of raising the others as that is also a lttle trick they use to make it sound more in your face so you will be impressed.
    And then compare the sound it will sound bad of course with no cab involved then load an IR try to use a matching cab if it is a VoxAC30 use a Vox 2x12 jensen IR and run all ampsim thrue the that IR and listen you will be very supriced how similar they sound.

7. Guitarmaniac64

Guitarmaniac64 Platinum Record

BS all my plugins run fine on win7 will not update to that spying os as long as i can avoid it
    And all plugins i just install with some simple clickes like i always do.

A.f.a.k there is no plugin or apps that is made for win10 only this is windows not mac on mac they update plugins to not work on older OS frequently
    I can really see you win 10 guys well you have to use win7 compability mode or run as win 8 bla bla i never need that i just run EVERYTHING as admin and have zero problems can you dsay the same?
    I am also offline all the time of course

I bet you are one of those guys who update the OS as soon as it is released or even when it is beta

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  8. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

I'm late to the party but have you considered using WineBottler or Wineskin?
    They're both free and take less time to test than installing another OS.

Dual boot is awesome though. 2 for 1? Yes, please.

9. spacetime

spacetime Platinum Record

There was EXACTLY one plugin problem i ever had with win7

The latest ilok license manager does not work, so i have to use an older version

Which works absolutely fine..

That aaand i cant use edge, which i would not use either way.

Also, you will not be labeled a freak and shamed to death for using w7
    [​IMG]

On notebooks and tablets w10 is way better then w7, the touch gestures help a lot with a small trackpad, on par with what apple had for years.

But on a desktop i7, w7 is simply faster with almost the same functionality

Unless you enjoy talking to your computer, yes, then you need Cortana ... or a psychiatrist

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  10. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

I doubt dual boot will do you any good, apart from learning the various software that's "available" only for windows. If you want to use the best of both worlds (MacOSX & Win) in your production flow, you need to get yourself a 2nd machine mate. Exporting to stereo for playback reference, then rebooting to record through a guitar amp for instance, kills whatever artistic urge and creative flow is there and in general is more of a hassle than help.
    A cheap i3 pc with 8-16gb ram will set you back around 250-300 dlrs/euros. There are many ways which you can use to utilize two comps at once, the best i have found so far is VSL Ensemble Pro. It's a plugin host software that works as a plugin itself, and will allow you to use your second pc or mac (and a third one if you like) as an external plugin processor inside your main computer's DAW without any audiocard and with very little latency, just by utilizing the gigabit ethernet port found in all computers the last 10-15 years. The only downside if you have very little money is, the latest Ensemble (v. 6) is avail only legit and costs as much as a cheap pc (285 dlrs). V.5 of the soft though, works fine with current OSX and Windows versions and is available if you know where to look.
    Cheers

11. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

Just buy the software. I doubt that you will feel comfartable in using Windows when coming from OSX :)

I really tried to force myself to use windows but I still prefer OSX

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  12. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

I agree OSX is easier to get to grips with. But then Windows is still more easily customized to user preference and has a wider user base. And Linux is absolutely free, with a community filled with gentle human beings ready to help any newbie, and not plagued by the "greed" of both Apple and MS, which of course is its strength and weakness at the same time.
    When you are making music, OS is not or should not be an issue. The "valuable" software that you will be mainly using is not the OS, but the daw and the plugins. Some of them are cross platform, some are not. Using OSX or Windows or even Linux, should make no difference to a person's musical creativity. Anyone who thinks otherwise, is missing the big picture imho.
    Be well

13. TW

TW Guest

I switched (completly) to windows 2 years ago. And i am way more happy now. The days you need a mac are over. Nowadays its like saying I Like BMW more than Mercedes. Dosent matter. Important is they bring you to your goal.

And if you buy flights (even other producs) online with a mac you pay more than you pay with a pc XD. It is really a fact. Online business thinks people with macs have more money and can pay more ...

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  14. fritzm

fritzm Producer

This chart is also analogous to the Asian population. So, does that mean we all should become Asian?
    All the Mac bashing on this site is stupid. What does it matter. It sounds like penis envy to me. I mean, I can dual boot anytime I want and use Windows. But, I prefer Mac OS. And Mac users should STFU about not having ALL of the plugins. There are plenty to make good music.
    I apologize for my rant. Have a nice day.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

No, it's not. It shows the preference of users all over the world, not Asia. Yes yes, i know you meant the larger user base does not mean it's better. Perhaps (as many here) you missed the long lasting "episode" when MacOS was the king of the hill in user base and preference and Windows was nowhere in the map. My point is, nobody with enough brains will bash an OS over another. Analogies and comparisons between OS's will always be made though. It's what we people do man. Through friction we learn, create and move forward.
    Criticizing someone for their color or race is terrible. BUT criticizing the beliefs, political and social status or religion (aka OSX lol) is a given right mate. Fanboys exist on all sides of the fence. Just ignore them if they get to you.

16. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

The thing is you can customize windows a lot but it still behaves odd compared to osx,
    You simply do not need to customize OSX that things look good and behave as expected.

A start menu that might siop working (I had that on 2 different w10 machines, the only fix was to create a new user),
    Icons that rebuild when you empty the trash
    weird system preferences spread over multiple apps and even GUIs which partially do all the same
    Lots of litte things which makes me feel that Windows stops working every second
    no thanks

There are no Audio Drivers for RME Audio Interfaces for Linux available.
    I would love to run NI Maschine on Linux, but it is simply not possible.

Hackintosh is the answer.

But it matters when you like to organize your files. Osx Lets you color folders and easily change the icons.
    You can show folder sizes easily compared to windows.
    You can drag a file or folder of the OS file dialog and it goes to the files location. Under Windopws it would copy the file to the current location.
    etc...
    Those litte things make computing more enjoyable

Yeah it is also possible to make music without a computer at all.

17. fritzm

fritzm Producer

yeah, umm nothing here is "getting to me." I don't care, I make music. I wasn't making a racial statement, I mean my wife is Asian for God's sake. I don't know what planet you are from, but Apple has never been king of the hill.

18. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

Like i said, you 've missed a couple of decades i guess. Apple has been king for most of the 80s and up until 98, nobody serious enough would consider a Windows machine for content creation. The only other computer was the Atari ST (and the Amiga but Atari had the midi ports built-in) which made a big -but short in lifespan- wave.
    Btw, i never said nor implied you were making a racist comment. The comparison shows which type of criticism is viable and which is not. I never meant to be offensive in anyway.
    You customize OS systems in order to add functionality that is either hidden or not there in the first place, and in general to behave as you may want it to, and not as expected by the system defaults. So far MacOSX gives tweakers the less tools to achieve this goal.
    Btw, irrelevant as it may be, i love the color coding on files in MacOSX. The rest can easily be done on Windows as well, and in terms of gui customization Windows systems have already a gazillion of add soft to play with.
    A zillion times i 've read " i'm afraid windows will crash, i'm not sure what it's doing right now "etc etc. And this is supposed to be Windows fault ? Its been proven so many times that 99% of the times users think their computer is "misbehaving" its their own fault.
    So this must be an illusion then, right? :D
    http://www.rme-audio.de/en/downloads/driver/linux.php
    It's still MacOSX. Apple store, limited preferences, works with specific gear and blah blah. Or Windows store and blah blah. Greed all the way.
    My core2 quad qx6700/8gb ram/Gigabyte mb (bought exactly 10 years ago) started with 10.4 Tiger and now runs 10.7 Lion just fine as we speak. I don't think i will be doing further upgrades to it anyway. If you feel you know something i don't about the whole Hackintosh thing, and is not mentioned in tomymac and its sistersite, please enlighten me.
    If your comment was meant to be ironic, you are indeed missing the big picture.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  19. fritzm

fritzm Producer

Ok, just for the topic of conversation. I'm in my 50s. I had a commodore 64, Atari ST, Mac Plus, and composed music in the 80s. Windows has been king since the release of the internet to the public in the early 90s. I mean, we are talking plugins are we not? Windows has most certainly had more software available in modern history. BTW, I am a tech. I'm Apple hardware/software certified and have an A+ cert.
    I'm only saying because I believe OS X and Windows are both viable options to compose music. Its like saying red is better than blue.
    I am concerned with all of the mis-information about the two. I teach music industry courses at a university and explaining this to students is very difficult because of the unfounded bias against certain OS's and DAWs. I mean no harm at all. I think it is great to have so many different options to choose from. For instance, if Windows was the only option, what do you think would happen to prices? Can you say Monopoly? I now think this Mac vs Windows thing has become almost political and cultural in nature. I can remember when I lived in China and bought an iMac. As I walked out of the store, people were laughing. Well, probably not laughing now considering Apple's factory is there and everyone has an iPhone.
    Anyway, its all good. Just conversation I guess.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

Yep, i'm 50 going 51 as well. I thought we were talking how to optimize the desktop workflow btw, not necessarily plugins, but blame it on me, np :)
    Just for the sake of argument, Digidesign, Motu, Emagic (ex C-Lab), Opcode and Steinberg (with the exception of Cakewalk) ruled most of 90s and although most of them had Windows versions, i do not recall any serious fellow musician running these on Windows machines, not until the Pentium III was released. Perhaps i got older and my memory escapes me.
    Well, i thought the Imac was a beautiful, smart piece of modern hardware design. Still do hehe. As you said its all good :)