Funny flick that helps fighting discrimination done right

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Xupito, Dec 9, 2020.

1. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

This is a very funny comedy-horror flick that also manages to joke the right way about extreme inclusiveness. You know, this thing that should be "fighting discrimination".

I downloaded just because seemed fun, and it is. But without overdoing, it also tells that everybody can shine and suck. And of course: zero politics.

Highly recommended, even if you don't care about the inclusiveness part in a comedy because it's really secondary and many people won't even notice.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10919380/

Last edited: Dec 10, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
    • Interesting Interesting x 3
    • List
  3. Gyro Gearloose

Gyro Gearloose Audiosexual

• Like Like x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. eXACT_Beats_

eXACT_Beats_ Rock Star

I saw Freaky, Xupito; it was surprisingly good, as so long as you know it is just a fun movie with nothing deeper going on. :yes:
    I haven't seen Atlanta, but I'll have to check it out since I've been impressed with a lot of FX's original shows in the past yrs. Thanks for the heads up on that one, Gyro Gearloose. :wink:

5. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

You're totally right. And probably because of that I was personally very pleased to see tackling these things that are secondary in the movie so naturally and balanced.

I'm lately quite concerned with the polarization and extremism in every sensitive topic so I really appreciated that. After creating the thread I watched a making-of video and both the director and the writer are gay. The director said this almost literally about one of the main characters: "we wanted the girl's best pal to be a gay kid comfortable and open with his sexuality but without overdoing it". This also applies to other sensitive topics.

I have that one in my to-watch list. Good Gyro's advice all right.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2020
  6. Recoil

Recoil Guest

I can't watch the violence, too much of it around us :unsure:

7. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

It's on my list but thanks for the recommendation. I've heard good things.
    “No tree, it is said, can grow to heaven unless its roots reach down to hell.”
    -Carl Jung

8. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Definitely not for everyone in that department.
    Though it's so over the top like in similar movies that doesn't feel half as real.
    Still, I get you and agree with that.

9. eXACT_Beats_

eXACT_Beats_ Rock Star

I hadn't seen/read anything about it, but I do always appreciate it when they don't overdo the "gay-ness" of a character. This is partially due to the fact it takes me out of the movie as it reeks of stereotypical, Hollywood bullshit, and partially because I then have to hear my gay friends, rant, rave & bitch for *days about how tactlessly the movies producers/writers portrayed the gay character(s.) :rofl:

10. Rodrigo Davis

Rodrigo Davis Noisemaker

Great films. If we are talking about discrimination, it is very important to say that these films raise a very important problem that interferes with the absolute freedom of a person. This is a question of freedom of speech. I have read several articles on the site https://graduateway.com/essay-examples/freedom-of-speech/ and I understand that historically it has developed in such a way that this issue has been discussed for a very long time and there is still no final solution.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
  11. Ak3mi91

Ak3mi91 Platinum Record

If you like movies with these types of undertones, check also this one (Sorry to Bother You):

It's very surprising and fun...
    ...and without violence :)

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  12. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Looks fun. I'll check it out. Thx for the suggestion ;)