Fully experimental, not thinking about the traditional music terms!

Discussion in 'Music' started by foster911, Dec 7, 2016.

1. 23322332

23322332 Rock Star

Guys like this Aethek were popular in the late 90s to mid 00s, but now everyone can be "experimental" without the need to buy expensive modulars and program supercollider and stuff for glitchy/spectral fx.
    Different sounds don't make your music better, if your musical idea sucks.
    Even someone really experimental and kind of innovative like Bartok sounds like crap when he is using folk melodies and then doubling them on shitty interval like minor second.

• Like Like x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  2. foster911

foster911 Guest

A funny acknowledgement by Deadmau5, so similar to my ideology::bleh:

......You can't dance to that and djs can't play that, so that's just not would sells and I have to pay for all the shit......

Of course @The Teknomage you have said that many times.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2016
  3. Backtired

Backtired Audiosexual

superliquidsunshine: I enjoyed the "capture the flag" theme; some nice ambience there

oh and abuot drums...

4. jayxflash

jayxflash Guest

Are you sure? Deadmau5 was talking about something like this

...and your snippets are ...let's say ...not even close to any loop in this track.

5. foster911

foster911 Guest

I'm not talking about the quality of my shits. Just pointing out the similarity of our thoughts about the drums and their roles in structuring the track.

He's telling his view about the exploitation of the drums and percussion in his works. Self-pleasingly not much interested in the drums and mostly put them in his musics for satisfying the listeners and DJs.

Also in your posted track, the drums are so simple and harmonious and melodic sounds and patterns glittering.

6. Backtired

Backtired Audiosexual

WHAT? An international artist makes music for MONEY!?
    Btw I'm gonna be honest I still don't know what you really want to do, you should stop talking in riddles or talking about what others said and say "I wanna do x" pretty clear and straightforward but I doubt even you know 100%
    Good luck anyway mate

7. foster911

foster911 Guest

No, my bro. Just about the drums.:winker:

8. Backtired

Backtired Audiosexual

Yes, he says an electronic track like one of those he makes needs to have drums.
    I don't see what's wrong, shocking, experimental, conventional, or literally anything wrong or right about that statement.

9. jayxflash

jayxflash Guest

Damn you, electronic minimalism.

10. foster911

foster911 Guest

One day I created this stupid thread. One of my earliest (Nov 25, 2015) and it shut down:
    https://audiosex.pro/threads/the-im...po-on-separating-the-electronic-genres.21852/

I don't want to break any rule with my faulty knowledge but suppose how the drums dictate their presence to the whole track and also give shape to it.

This thread is about the arrangement and structuring in the electronic genres but relying majorly on the drums and circulating the other ideas around it is not what I like. The drums in most genres play the major role. Why? Why should we be enslaved to them and don't let our imagination sails the sky freely?

Please don't exemplify the ambient or other ones as non-beat dominated genres.

11. jayxflash

jayxflash Guest

It's not the drums per se, but the rhythm. Because we have a heartbeat, we are hard wired to rhythm. Because we are 90% symmetrical by design, we like symmetrical shapes. And so on. It's really that hard to understand?

Oh, and everything known to man, the way atoms are structured, from anorganic elements to the complex life forms is following patterns and order.

So yeah, you can let your musical imagination to roam freely disregarding every known theory of tones, rhythms and structures but expect to be treated for what is is: noise.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  12. foster911

foster911 Guest

Yes here everyone is a winner and I'm the only loser.

13. Backtired

Backtired Audiosexual

Jay is explaining very clear and well, he's on point and looks like knows what he's talking about.
    You just said things like we are enslaved to drums and we should let our imagination fly. like, what.
    Maybe I'm dumb, I don't know, but, at least for me, you are just talking generic non sense.

and of course this is in no way disrespectful

14. jayxflash

jayxflash Guest

You always can prove we're wrong. But you can't because is impossible not because you don't quite master yet the art of eq-ing.

15. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

I agree with that. And even if you stop playing drums, the beat will always be there. You can't escape from rhythm, no need to beat the beat to feel it, it's always there.
    At the most you can be elusive about it, and that's not easy.

16. 23322332

23322332 Rock Star

You are talking about the pulse. Each tempo and meter has different kind of pulse, but you can use many different rhythms.

17. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

Yeah I am. Is pulse outside of rhythm ? And does rhythm ever disappears ? That's alI am saying, of course there are many rhythms and you can use as much as you wish. But you won't escape it and it will never be secondary to music. That or pulse, no out.Except in theory of course, but theory isn't music, it's what theoricians do.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
  18. genophyte

genophyte Producer

haha i always get salty when i hear people doing similar stuff im working on but their work is 2 million times better.
    this is awesome by the way.

19. Vaijj

Vaijj Platinum Record

Put some instruments in the hand of some kindergarden kids and let them do their thing and it will sound very experimental.. im pretty sure they will even start to use the instruments in way we havnt even thought about.. even destruction has it charm..

20. Ultram

Ultram Kapellmeister

Really enjoying this thread and listening to all the links.
    It's so easy as a producer to fall into existing conventions because clichés are so seductive. and then we get to the point where so much music produced ITB sounds the same.
    I really love the band 'The Books', they managed somehow to balance all elements and make cohesive, emotive, enjoyable songs.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016