The Impact of drums and bass and also tempo on separating the electronic genres

Discussion in 'Education' started by foster911, Nov 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. foster911

foster911 Guest

(Not real drums but mostly drum machines)

Edit:
    1- Are the mentioned items in the title the prime factors on distinguishing the genres? What about the other elements of a music?
    2- What is the role of good drums on a track looks professional?

Thanks so much! I really appreciate your kind comments.:)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2015
  3. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

What?

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. foster911

foster911 Guest

OK! I changed the title. Sorry for bad selection! I just wanted to emphasize more on drums than bass.

Every genre has its own characteristics like sounds used, rhythms and many more. The important element in all of them is drums. The drums are the predominant and distinguishing factor that specify in which genre you are.

If you'd be a re-mix guy, you'd know that changing Rihanna's songs to be danceable in the clubs would be possible more by using dance styles' drums and also changing the tempo. Other sounds added to change them to electronic forms are arbitrary.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2015
  5. SyNtH.

SyNtH. Platinum Record

1.The patterns types used (Kick,Snare,Kick,Snare), the time signature (4/4 or 5/4), the bpm, The consistency of a singular drum element (hardcore kicks as an example) and conversely, when there are no drum elements at all (atmospheric type music). The techniques used to create a sound (a good example would be palm muting a guitar to create the "djent" sound) as apposed to normally picking a guitar. I think in most cases the things you have mentioned are true for the upper root genres, but i think you need more specificity in sub-genres to really define the differences and they can vary quite a lot. An example of this would be neuro dnb, which usually utilizes a reese bass of some form over a simple sine wave bass, which is used more in liquid dnb. Both of these types of sound are used under the umbrella of dnb but there is a spectrum of sounds and tones that are commonly associated with the sub-genres they are contained in. Keep in mind that the genres we apply are labels applied as humans so there isnt really a binary definition or recipe for something to always contain something and there is overlap (the product of fusion genres/sub-genres). Keep in mind music is always changing. I could post some examples so you could hear the differences if you like, but i think my explanation describes it well enough.

2. What do you consider professional, the examples you provide have to be specific to the genre imo as you cant blanket generic things about how drums should sound. There are some general production things in respect to drums that people mostly adhere to such as paying attention to drum transients, levelling your drums, maintaining a pattern that keeps the song in check, but apart from that, there can be HUGE variation based on genre alone.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  6. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

It's really easy to check for yourself how to discriminate between the genres:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_electronic_music_genres
    Apart from stuff like ambient or maybe new-age music, electronic music is music to dance to, and there are very vew examples of successful tracks in every genere of electronic music that have crappy drums.

could you please ask google those questions?

7. foster911

foster911 Guest

Do you like this fusion (Dubstep&Trance)?
    Don't you consider this an insult to the trance?
    Every genre has its own characteristics. In one genre, drums are important, In the other, melody and so forth. Don't you think putting them together forcefully would be harmful?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2016
  8. foster911

foster911 Guest

When the midi controller and piano roll are just used as pitch controllers not even in a clever fashion but just selecting the notes randomly. Pure sound designing, as SyNth said just looking for the reese basses. Who thinks this genre needs music theory.
    Maybe an anti-genre (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-genre). What I am talking about. Sorry!:bleh:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2016
  9. kouros

kouros Platinum Record

:bash:

10. foster911

foster911 Guest

Hi Kourus! Sorry for my posts here. I know they are so bad. :sad:
    But why do people choose these genres as their career and are proud of ? Are they insane or ....? What are the attractive points in these tracks?:suicide:

(in drum and bass related tracks)
    "......The upper frequencies are removed and the lower frequencies emphasized.......".
    "......giving a bigger role to the drum and bass line and reducing the vocals and other instruments to peripheral roles.......".

Are such creativities done by real musicians or some non-musician duds?:dunno:

Why do the drummers always have tremendous potentiality to act off-musically?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2015
  11. Rollins

Rollins Member

I'm sorry, but just because you don't like a genre or specific type of sound, doesn't make it an "insane" genre. Speaking about that type of dark d'n'b you linked, I personally really like it when played on a proper soundsystem. A lot of the guys producing that kind of music know their music theory, they just use it to make music that sounds random in your ears.

Why they choose those kind of genres? To play in front massive crowds who loves their music.

Check this guy out. A danish drummer called Anders Meinhart

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  12. beatroot

beatroot Producer

Wow!!Amazing.Really innovative.Thanks

13. SyNtH.

SyNtH. Platinum Record

I think your scope of what music should sound like is rather distorted/ narrow. Sounds dont just have to fit a key to sound good. Why limit yourself. It just cuts off creativity. I want to hear people pushing the boundaries of music,not just sticking to the confines or "rules". From your previous posts, it seems like you think everything has to be defined or have a rules to it, or that delving into randomness is somehow wrong to do in music. Its all about the end effect, the story you create in your mind from the sound, the synesthesia. We are currently going through the pure digital/hybrid age of music creation and people are experimenting with the new tools that they have.
    Heres some examples of artists doing this:

So please keep an open mind, its fine for you to have your tastes and state them, but dont state them as fact when it comes from music. Someones trash is anothers treasure. Let alone the people i've mentioned here are what i would consider to be some of today's genre breaking artists, with a forward thinking perspective of what music can sound like. Also keep in mind that music will continue to iterate, sounds will come in and out of fashion in a general sense, but some things that these guys are experimenting with will become mainstay in musical "pop" or actually become timeless.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  14. mlb4sheaz

mlb4sheaz Ultrasonic

I love DnB. Start by listening to some 90's Jungle etc like omni trio, goldie, babylon etc. then move up through the years. I admit a lot of the new commercial dnb is a bit of a noisy mess but its still a very hard genre to produce well. Ive been trying for years and my stuff is still no where near what these guys can do.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  15. foster911

foster911 Guest

The drums are just the rhythm mentioners and keepers. Nothing more than that.
    Pretending to enjoy just the drums is nonsense unless you don't know anything from the music.
    D&B and also some other genres' artists are just the way pavers for the real musics.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  16. SyNtH.

SyNtH. Platinum Record

Lol.... I see why so many others have given up on you... Well i guess you are the needle in the haystack. Can't say ive tried to open your eyes. Drum solos have no place in music! Herecy! :deep_facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  17. Kwissbeats

Kwissbeats Audiosexual

Man, I've been reading all of your posts arround here in complete silence.

And I must say U have to be autistic. More then a little, which is fine but if you didn't knew that already you should really get that checked out. there is definitely something wrong in that skull of yours.

I am not a doctor but have seen a lot of doctor Phill, dunno if that counts?:rofl:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  18. beatroot

beatroot Producer

:guru::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  19. mlb4sheaz

mlb4sheaz Ultrasonic

Are you serious? if you dont like the genres than don't listen to them! and definitely don't start a post like this. I wont be looking here anymore. foster911, Inabitch

20. Kwissbeats

Kwissbeats Audiosexual

Gotta answer this because dnb is my second favorite genre and genre's get blended a lot,

gotta start with 2 observations

first. U obviously never used MDMA (XTC) in your entire life.
    Second. I even doubt u ever danced in your entire life.

The answer is short and simple, most people start producing a genre that they like and listen to.

21. foster911

foster911 Guest

I don't need a dance therapy. Maybe you do. I hate the danceable term. Maybe someday I'd enjoy just the dance macabre and decide to dance on the dance grave. You know why, because it poisons the music.