from 164bpm to 84bpm but keep same feel? (Studio One)

Discussion in 'Studio One' started by EddieXx, Jun 23, 2022.

1. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

for some dumb reason i made a track a while back in so called "double tempo", i guess i had seem people producing trap that way got curious and forgot about it. and first now a year later i noticed i couldn't apply some effects since they go all crazy with that high tempo.

i want to take it back to 82bpm which is the proper tempo without affecting anything in the song. anyone knows how do that?

just changing the tempo gets the obvious result, a half tempo super slowed down track.

it contains no audio tracks btw, only midi.

Cheers

Last edited: Jun 23, 2022
  3. Ryck

Ryck Guest

On the left side of Studio one you have the Algorithms, solo, sound, percussion and tape. In this case, as it is a song, you should choose "sound" so that it affects the song as little as possible. but it will always affect something. I think that's one of the best algorithms I know to stretch a song.

edit:
    you must have to open the inspector, there on the left you will see that it says tempo and timestretch . In "tempo" you choose "timestretch" and in "timestrech" you choose "sound"

4. macros

macros Guest

i don't have studio one, so this is somewhat useless, but in ableton you can divide or multiply midi clips by 2. if studio one doesn't offer that functionality (i've never used it) you could try either downloading ableton or looking for an external midi editor and exporting your midi tracks from studio one to half in time then import back in. there HAS to be a cheap/free midi editor somewhere that would do that.

be a slight pain, but hey. are you sure in studio one there isn't a way to like go to a midi clip, select all then perhaps drag it over so it's time is halfed? or something along those lines? you searched through the manual and stuff for terms like midi, time, etc?

comcast was supposed to turn my internet off, they didn't, now i'm just using it until they do and i'm gonna say it's on them for not turning it off. ugh

5. Ryck

Ryck Guest

Sorry discard this, I read wrong, I thought you were talking about audio I don't know how it is on Mac, but on PC locate the end of the event with the mouse pointer and keep the "Alt" key pressed, then without letting go of the mouse you adjust the time by stretching the event (shorter or longer)

6. 6ixcore

6ixcore Producer

If you have midi processing on you daw just choose half time and it changes midi to half tempo, then change bpm and it will play the same, no need for timestrech. Or, you can export all tracks as audio and open inside new project with half bpm.

Effects work the same way double or half time, if its a 1/8th delay it will sound faster double tempo just use half 1/4th etccc...

164 bpm = 82 bpm

84 bpm = 168 bpm

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  7. rdr62

rdr62 Newbie

Yeah, what the last post said. if your project contains only midi, all you have to do is speed the midi up by double, once you halve the project tempo.

But also, there should be no reason to have to do this anyway, you can change the rate at which most effects are processed, as the last post described.

8. Ad Heesive

Ad Heesive Audiosexual

9. VeeKeys

VeeKeys Noisemaker

Best Answer
    It's simple. Since you are working with only MIDI, follow these steps.

1. Select all the tracks.

2. Go to the track Inspector.

3. Change "Timebase" from "Beats" to "Seconds"

4. Change the Tempo of your song from 164bpm to 82bpm.

5. While all the tracks are still selected, go back to the Inspector and change "Timebase" from "Seconds" to "Beats"

That will solve the problem. Cheers!

Last edited: Jun 29, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. clone

clone Audiosexual

I am with @Ryck anyway on this one. You should learn how to "time stretch" midi inside your DAW. In Logic, it is the same opt/alt key+mouse drag combination as time stretching audio. It has no impact at all on your sound quality, even when used for not 1:1 changes like a half tempo settings fix that was needed here. You can do very creative things like that, especially if you write in odd signatures/ other than 4/4. It's likely the same in any other DAW, just look yours up. It's extremely useful with Drums and other beats :)

11. Ryck

Ryck Guest

Exactly, it's much faster and it's within reach of a keyboard shortcut, and as you say, it doesn't affect anything because it's midi.

12. Ad Heesive

Ad Heesive Audiosexual

There's always some awkward bugger (like me) who wants to say "not quite true" :winker:

An example...
    - Start with 8 bars of MIDI, each bar containing 4 quarter notes (4 crotchets), and let's say tempo = 120bpm
    - Make the adjustments to changing the project tempo to 60bpm using any of the several methods described above.
    - Crucially, if you got it right, then the MIDI sounds exactly the same (same tempo) as it did before when the project tempo was 120bpm, i.e., the notes all start at the right time and have the right durations, etc.

It SOUNDS LIKE nothing has changed. Goal achieved. :wink:

But something HAS changed...
    You previously had 8 bars of 1/4 notes (crotchets) - and now you have 4 bars of 1/8 notes (quavers)
    The music structure has changed.
    So again you say - "who cares - it still sounds the same"
    "It's still 32 beats all happening when they are supposed to."

But is there anything in your instruments & fx chain that was paying attention to the music structure?
    At least two examples could be involved (maybe more)

(1) Do you have a delay plugin in the chain?
    Delay plugins let you set values in milliseconds, and if you used that - then no problem.
    But many of them also provide musically friendly presets like set the delay to a quarter note 1/4
    or an eighth note 1/8 or maybe even 1/8T (eighth note triplet)
    In the example above where you had 8 bars of 1/4 notes, what if you had a delay set using 1/4 notes?
    When you changed the music structure to 4 bars of 1/8 notes your delay settings will now need to be updated to 1/8 notes.

(2) Consider the same kind of issue for arpeggiators and step sequencers where you might have set many of the parameters using musical note values like 1/4 note or 1/8 note, etc. All of these might now need an update too.

So, "as you say, it doesn't affect anything because it's midi."
    Maybe true 95% of the time - but sometimes you might need to check a few more things.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  13. clone

clone Audiosexual

In the scenario where a file is loaded with the wrong BPM detected as half of it's "real tempo"; The only way for this to occur is to make a second mistake by loading a plugin and setting up it's relationship with time to the half tempo correctly; and then changing the tempo back.
    In effect causing your arp/filter plugin to run at 1/2 or 2x desired rate.

You should always pay attention to what you are working on, and that is the case here as you suggest. But that's the requirement for all this stuff.

14. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

well that got to even cast light onto some other issues of interest. many thanks to all of you for taking the time to share your ideas and suggestions dear fellows!

@VeeKeys, my friend you really nailed it. It went absolutely perfect following your instructions, its was not something i would have figured out just like that im afraid, and the project is now about to get finished this evening after having a bit of hard time yesterday. Many thanks n have a nice day

15. juggz143

juggz143 Kapellmeister

Hmmm... that's a neat trick, the way I usually achieve this is by hovering the mouse over the right edge of an event and alt dragging.

When you hold alt it will stretch the event instead of trimming. I typically don't have to bother with which time-stretching algorithm is selected either.

@Ad Heesive this is a good point but I'd wager the vast majority of trap/hiphop producers who produce in double time don't think of it as matter-of-factly as this. They're literally just paying attention to the sound. So if I slap a delay on something and its off, I just adjust the subdivision until I hear it where I want and don't actually care what the subdivision is or the technical term for it :dunno:. If you learned music in this way your mind just inherently shifts everything double or half automatically, there's no more thought to it.

But I can see where someone who is thinking of music in a more technical way this could be an issue, but to me that'd be a waste of energy.

In you're 60 to 120 example there is no "crucially" adjusting midi involved its a simple click and drag. I know at least FL, Ableton and Logic have a similar shortcut.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. Ryck

Ryck Guest

Interesting, hadn't thought of this. Until now I only had to change battery times and it worked perfectly, it changes everything the same. But I hadn't thought about how it would affect an embedded effect.

said: "There's always some awkward motherfucker (like me) who wants to say 'not quite true'"

Nope, none of that. On the contrary, this is the best way to learn, contradicting otherwise you do not learn :wink:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List