Duplicating midi notes to adjacent bar cubase

Discussion in 'Cubase / Nuendo' started by vignmusic, Sep 24, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Ah! You can move the newly copied notes.

You can also just copy/paste. Set the playhead where you want the first note to be pasted. Make sure snap (J) is on to move the playhead to correct position.

There's also alt+drag (hold alt+ctrl/cmd and drag it you want the notes to remain at the original pitch). This is what I use most often. Alt key is used a ton.

Edit: Yeah, the first note is not snapped/quantized (a bit ahead of the beat). Maybe intentional.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2022
  2. patatern

patatern Platinum Record

with the Logical Editor it's a matter of seconds to solve this

program a logical editor preset and make a keyboard shortcut, as easy as that

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. clone

clone Audiosexual

If your Marquee or Pointer tools wanted to copy the blank space every time you highlighted empty space when copying something, it would ask? or default to something you pick. That's just as annoying to deal with a once in a blue moon occurrence at the cost of your sanity. This is basic functionality of editing. Merge or Join the block. Strip silence again or drag the length of the midi to the end of your bar. Whatever fits the situation best. :suicide:

4. vignmusic

vignmusic Member

I did not want it to be on beat for a reason. But for a quicker workflow, i would like to duplicate the notes keeping the same misalignment/alignment from the previous bar. I think ableton, pro tools, etc have that feature but not cubase.
    I don't want to go out of my midi workflow everytime and clone the event instead of duplicating the notes directly.

5. vignmusic

vignmusic Member

Can you explain more? How do I program logical editing?

6. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

7. MisterCrayle

MisterCrayle Newbie

So easy that you don't even know how to do it yourself.

8. brazytupac

brazytupac Member

I found a faster way to implement this

create a macro and assign the macro to a shortcut (the macro should have the following commands - select all, copy and paste, I added return to project start but u can leave it out If you don't want ). so all u have to do is click on the bar u want to duplicate the notes and hit ur short cut.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2023
  9. Paul Pi

Paul Pi Audiosexual

If you're looking to precisely repeat a bar-length* of midi:

1. In the project arrangement window, select the scissor tool to separate the part you're interested in copying (i.e left-click the scissor at the beginning and end of the part).

2. Left click to select, then press CTRL-K to enter however many repeats you want. On the popup you can also elect to make the repeat(s) as 'shared' copies, which means that any modification in any of the shared parts will reflected in all the others, which i find is is very handy if i'm in the early stage of developing an idea and may yet wish to improve/modify it later.

3. If necessary you can merge all the copies back into the larger, orginal block by selecting the glue tool in the project arrangement window and left-clicking on each part you want to re-integrate.

* The OP asked about a bar, but a copyable part could be any length if the grid selection option is set to 'beat' or 'quantise' (instead of the default 'bar' length) when you choose the scissor tool to create the beginning & end of your to-be-repeated section.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2023
  10. patatern

patatern Platinum Record

sorry, didnt notice the post later

I will tell you how to do it in the project window, the principle should be the same programming the logical editor (I am 90% sure, will try to do it and confirm when in studio if I remember)

anyhow

Do not go in the key editor

-open the EDIT IN PLACE for the track you want (shift+CTR+I default keycommand)
    -set the RANGE SELECTION TOOL as cursor
    -range-select 1 BAR (it seems you want to duplicate a bar, but you can range-select whatever you need)
    -then ALT+DRAG or CTRL+D or whatever command you like to duplicate

the trick is "to select a range", not a bunch of notes

and tell to that scientist to cancel the dislike
    I dont read the forum everyday, even if I would like, always interesting for learning and entertaining

11. patatern

patatern Platinum Record

if you wanna keep editing being in the key editor here's a mix of MACRO/Midi Logical Editor,
    this solves 100% your problem

hope the screenshot is enough to understand the sequence:

-open MIDI LOGICAL EDITOR and set the way you see here
    [it's on the right of the screenshot, pretty easy to do, just 3 parameters: the upper filter, the action down, and the TRANSFORM function in the menu]

-save as midi logical editor user preset and name it as you see here

-open the KEY COMMAND MENU and create a MACRO
    (I highlighted it in mine, I called it DUPE RANGE NOTES)

all the command used in the macro are "default", except for the new created Midi Logical Editor user preset
    OCOSECHILL.png

Last edited: Apr 8, 2023
  12. oldskoolproductions

oldskoolproductions Producer

Use the "Range" tool. Select bar then CTRL-D. Everything will copy over in the exact location

13. patatern

patatern Platinum Record

thank you very much for your contribution, much appreciated

Unfortunately the "Range" tool doesnt work in the key editor, so your solution isnt applicable there