Duplicating midi notes to adjacent bar cubase

Discussion in 'Cubase / Nuendo' started by vignmusic, Sep 24, 2022.

Tags:
  1. vignmusic

vignmusic Member

Hi,
    Is there a feature in cubase where notes get copied to the adjacent bar in the same way as it is in the first bar? For example, in the below image I am looking to copy midi notes from bar 18 to bar 19. Ctrl+D duplicates in after the last note.
    Is there a similar feature which duplicates to adjacent bar rather than just after last note?
    upload_2022-9-23_19-13-40.png

3. clone

clone Audiosexual

Maybe there is a shortcut in cubase for this. But any time I want to copy a pattern with irregular data and move it around in blocks, I will make a blank empty block of midi. Adjacent to the one you want to copy and then highlight/copy out the entire thing. So the whole section you want to duplicate is contained within 1 block copy of the midi.

4. Havana

Havana Platinum Record

If you keep your midi in blocks of 1 bar, you can just do cntrl + D or Cmnd + D on Mac. and it'll will duplicate that bar over.

5. jishnu

jishnu Kapellmeister

ctrl+c, ctrl+v works just fine. place your transport cursor where you want the first note to be pasted.

6. clone

clone Audiosexual

Right, you have to advance the cursor to the next bar or it will auto-paste into the incorrect position. It will not let you highlight the space and have it just duplicate over and over. I think Protools might be the only one that will keep the space (and therefore the timing alignment of notes). Using blank midi blocks/notes is way faster. Strip the silence from a Stem and then try to move the whole thing around in 200 pcs. Same stuff, because you aren't doing the operation to a full measure.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2022
  7. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Ctrl/cmd+D (Duplicate)

8. brazytupac

brazytupac Member

i literally was about to ask for this

9. brazytupac

brazytupac Member

it doesn't copy to the next bar

10. brazytupac

brazytupac Member

anyone knows if i can change the alt drag in key command for key editor?

11. clone

clone Audiosexual

if I remember correctly, the only DAW which will correctly copy the space along with it; so you do not loose the timing is Protools. Without a headache, or what have you.

A much easier way to do it is to duplicate the channel. stick a bar of blank midi that covers the same time duration as your pattern in another channel. Match the length. (1 bar or 100 it doesn't matter). Select them as a Pair and copy them out. Delete the clone "jig" if you want to call it that. This is also a good trick for audio, if you strip silence from a stem and accidentally make a million pieces.

On a Mac, you would just use the marquee tool, select the area, and option drag the entire thing and it will create a perfect copy. Just not the space. Because it is blocks of midi, rather than Notes within a block; your auto-quantize will not correct it. If you option+ drag down in Logic into blank area, it will also clone the channel while copying the audio midi block into it automatically.

This is the stripped audio example. It's 150 slices or whatever, but can be copied as a block while retaining timing. midi is the same thing:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 6, 2022
  12. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

In such cases I'm doing this in Reaper but I suppose it should work in any DAW:
    - select and copy the notes,
    - move cursor to the beginning of the first selected note (key command),
    - open transport and add a bar to the cursor position (so from 1.4.50 to 2.4.50),
    - paste the notes.

13. Jomexe

Jomexe Ultrasonic

Don't know if this will work on Cubase, but in Sonar or Reaper I just select (highlight) the notes I want to duplicate, then Ctrl-drag-drop them to the new position. Ctrl-drag leaves the original notes in place but creates a copy of them that you can drop anywhere.

Otherwise, Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V.

If you want a lot of repeats there's always the possibility of looping the bar. Again, don't know if this works in Cubase.

14. Barncore

Barncore Platinum Record

I was trying to do this exact thing in Cubase a couple of days ago and it doesn't work. Ctrl+Drag doesn't work anyway. I also tried Ctrl+Shift+Drag and Ctrl+Alt+Drag. None of it worked. Maybe there's another way, not sure, but Cubase certainly isn't like Logic in that way

15. clone

clone Audiosexual

The problem is that you have to rely on yourself putting them in the same exact spot on each duplicate copy of this "pattern" block. Timing is an issue in most DAWs, at least to where you may have to alter your Snap settings back and forth. Control+D is duplicate channel to make your blank block, or 2 mouse clicks in Logic will add whatever Software or Audio Track you last created.

I look into this exact conundrum every time I try a new DAW or version. Because it's stupid and doesn't function the way any sane person would think up. The block trick is basic editing Hotkey stuff you can setup and it works in every single daw in about 10 seconds.

16. Semarus

Semarus Kapellmeister

I'm a fan of Alt+Drag myself

17. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

If you highlight a MIDI event (or a selection of MIDI notes in the piano-roll) and do ctrl/cmd+D it will duplicate the info (as many times as you repeatedly make the key-command).

18. brazytupac

brazytupac Member

yes it will duplicate ur notes, but it wont start from bar 19, take a look at the pic he uploaded, the duplication will be right next to the last note and not on the 19bar

19. clone

clone Audiosexual

This is why @No Avenger's reply is completely accurate. And it's a PITA to keep moving to the next bar to not paste into the space if you want 8 copies or whatever you may want to do. Nevermind within smaller sections. You would need your cursor/pointer to lock somehow to the next bar and skip the space. This entire thing after the first copy operation should be able to be done with nothing but key commands, or close. And it's not. I don't lightly admit that Protools does about anything correctly. And any new "hack" is likely to be found in Reaper first, because they listen to their users the most. Once you have the space established between the first two copies, you can go back and copy them out and then delete the last bar.

20. No Avenger

I just remembered that Cubase has a keycommand to move the cursor one bar forward or backward. In Reaper this works also without snapping to the bar's beginning, don't know if this works in Qbase too.
    That's why the size of the section isn't really a problem either.

21. No Avenger

On top of that, the first note isn't even straight on the beat, which is the main problem here, I think.