DSP563xx Emulator. Finally some real progress (Access Virus, Nord Lead, TC PowerCore, Waldorf MW...)

Discussion in 'Software' started by Ayahuasca, Apr 7, 2021.

1. Obineg

Obineg Platinum Record

at least cooperation is getting easier this way. i bet he also lives not far away from your house.

2. nobodyspecial

nobodyspecial Platinum Record

i use the powercore Virus if need my help for someting

3. Roboto

Roboto Producer

Sadly, the DSP code from Powercore plugins is encrypted, so it requires extra steps.

For now, no one is doing anything with Powercore.

Unless someone else wants to try and decrypt it...

4. Dalmation

Dalmation Kapellmeister

5. Dalmation

Dalmation Kapellmeister

Don't know which DSP the Waldorf- Blofeld has but the Waldorf- LARGO is a good emulation in VST of the Blofeld.

6. visitor

visitor Guest

I can't speak for the Blofeld, but as someone who adores the Waldorf Q and has owned a MicroQ twice, nothing yet in the software world that Waldorf has put out comes even close to how rich and full the Waldorf Q sounds or any hardware Waldorf synth sounds. The Virus is the dance synth everyone thinks of, but the Q is the best sounding virtual analog synth ever made imo. Largo, Nave and Terratic Komplexer (which is alledgedly based on the MicroQ) sound terrible in comparison and I've played with them all.

Here's a small taste of what I mean.

Even the Nord Lead 2, with how basic it is, sounded incredible when I had the hardware. The only plugin that I could think of that sounded similar to it was the mighty u-he Diva. Not Synth1 and definitely not DiscoDSP Discovery. That's how analog it actually sounded like and how good the hardware for all these oldschool synths actually sound like when they're right in front of you.

That's what gets me so excited about this project :). Very few of them have actually been emulated, with even fewer done authentically or by a big company like Arturia or u-he. So the chance for these timbres to actually produced in our home computers is exciting to say the least.

(for reference, I have owned the Novation Nova, Waldorf MicroQ, Nord Lead 2, and a few Roland hardware synths, so I have some know-how as to how these synths actually sound like)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  7. Dalmation

Dalmation Kapellmeister

A side topic:
    The SHARC ADSP...family of DSP's by Analog Devices, was/is used in some hardware boards
    eg. Legacay products by Creamware (now Scope).

8. Roboto

Roboto Producer

what

9. Roboto

Roboto Producer

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 3
    • List
  10. visitor

visitor Guest

WHAT??! so soon???

I assumed it would take many, many years before we came close to seeing anything :woot:

11. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

wow this was fast, didnt expect that so soon.
    the autobend preset i recognize from a techno tune from 2004. xD

here is the track!

@visitor corona-powered^TM

currently the emu takes one single note input, not automation of parameters, no interface.

but i guess this a very huge and motivational step.

geeezzzz im excited.

12. visitor

visitor Guest

It's a tremendous step forward for sure! and it sort of confirms that you really only need the rom after all. I mean, nobody would listen to it and not think it sounds like real thing. All that component modeling and filtering doesn't mean much when it comes to dsp powered synths, I suppose.

What stands out is just how old-school it sounds in the best way. Adam Szabo's Viper has the Virus sound, but it sounds so bright and modern. Maybe because it's based on the Virus TI Snow or because he used more modern ZDF filters. But this takes me back to the 90's instantly. I love it!

13. Roboto

Roboto Producer

Well... some demos were already working a few weeks ago!

Still, it's a work in progress and it's far from being finished...

I'd say it's due to the modern ZDF filters.
    Virus Ti Snow uses the same filters as earlier models.

14. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

ahhh okay so Access is put on hold and the founder is working on a different company called Kemper.

there is also an interview at the end. So i doubt they would even care with what we do here.

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  15. adamszabo

adamszabo Ultrasonic

Sounds pretty much the same to me: https://www.adamszabo.com/internet/autobend.mp4

The only change I did was to replace the Virus lfo wave to a sine, since in the Virus patch its using an oscillator wave as the lfo shape which Viper doesnt have (yet). The factory patches in Viper sound brighter because they are designed for a more modern sound, not because it sounds different.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  16. visitor

visitor Guest

Thank you for chiming in, Adam!

17. Unirorm

Unirorm Producer

Would we be able to load .mid banks to Viper at some point? Native or with a converter?

18. adamszabo

adamszabo Ultrasonic

Yes its planned, but it wont be soon as I have lots of other things I need to do before that

19. alexbart

alexbart Producer

I still have 2 vintage PCs to run the PCI Scope boards from Creamware, the synths sounds fantastic and I also have the latest Xite-1 equipped with the more recent 21369 sharc dsp processors. Similar dsp sharc processors are adopted by UAD.
    Don't know how hard it could be to emulate such hardware, because it's not standalone, it needs a software on the computer to let it work.
    Makeproaudio made the DinoPark hardware that is based on the old dsp sharc used by Creamware Scope cards and that loads the same devices (plugins) and that runs as standalone.

20. rollerball

rollerball Platinum Record

Been following this thread with great interest! Really happy to see all the progress.