Can anyone recommend best HD backup/restore software re moving (SSD) to another PC?

Discussion in 'PC' started by Cardamom, May 7, 2018.

1. Cardamom

Cardamom Platinum Record

Hey there. Been faithful to Acronis and am willing to apply myself to learning the whole 'Universal Restore' process, if it's got a good track record.

Am tres happy with my C-Drive as it is now and would like it to be legacy'd to another system as is. No need at present but to do NORMAL HD imaging, as my present system is working great, but would like to do a no-fail 'Dissimilar Hardware Restore/Universal Restore' one day, into a new PC/system.

Just want my DAW and VST's and all the fixin's to behave when the process is completed.

What would you guys recommend as being the best experience/software for the job?

Please & Thanks in advance!!

Cardamom

3. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

on MacOS, I have best experience with Carbon Copy Cloner (can do full bootable backup of system drive while computer is running),
    no idea what alternative is available for Windows

4. dragonhill

dragonhill Guest

5. Recoil

Recoil Guest

6. dragonhill

dragonhill Guest

I tried that program initially. Didn't work for me.
    I believe cloning is easier when the OS is on a USB stick or CD, and not the HD you are trying to copy.
    Apparently Clonezilla also ensures virus free cloning.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2018
  7. Recoil

Recoil Guest

8. SAiNT

SAiNT Creator Staff Member phonometrograph

Acronis is the best on the market, but i also like AOMEI.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. Cardamom

Cardamom Platinum Record

Yeah, this is great feedback fellas! I've seen most of the above and heard its praises sung, but I wanted to hear from Audio guys re their successes (or failures) esp. having all their virtual gear 'come back to life' in a new system with a cloned (but somehow, stripped down due to proprietary mobo drivers & the like) version of their HDD or SSD.

Might just learn myself Acronis then. Thanks everyone!

Have a great rest of the week!
    C.

10. Joe_Bristol

Joe_Bristol Newbie

Agree with you buddy and I also like AOMEI.

11. famouslut

famouslut Audiosexual

Yeah, keep using Acronis. Zero problems for me. I would recd doing a clean install w/ every new PC build tho!

12. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Guest

I used to use Acronis.
    AOEMI Backupper and Partition Wizard are the fastest, most reliable combinations for me.
    Acronis personally I found to be a dog in comparison and AOEMI is light on the O/S and backs up FULLY without reboot so you can work comfortably. While Acronis now has it, AOEMI had VSS a long time ago. I have done two full restores and consistent backups successfully, along with an SSD migration with zero errors and accurate customisable options.

It's a personal choice. I used Acronis for years but I won't go back to it now.

[It also can run a CHKDSK full sector scan on your boot/system HDD(s) without reboot]
    - See screenshot below while in O/S on System partition. I can do a full one because I had a failing HDD but I did a quick one so you can see for yourself.
    Cheers
    upload_2018-9-6_0-24-11.png upload_2018-9-6_0-25-6.png

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2018
  13. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Guest

14. wasgedn

wasgedn Banned

The Pirate whats youre way...? or prefered app ?