Audible difference between DAWs?

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by Ted Smithton, Nov 21, 2017.

1. Blair Atkinson

Blair Atkinson Member

Great Point, That's Exactly What I have Noticed.

2. Lambchop

Lambchop Banned

No, but I haven't tested all the calculators either, and still am relatively sure that when I add 2 to 2, the answer will, invariably, be 4.

@Blair Atkinson, I use Fruity loops, Ableton & Reaper. Last Pro Tools I had was 9 (I think), running with Digi 001. But I believe that you hear the difference between Pro Tools & other DAWs. Got me a powerful mind, can believe almost anything :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. SOKRVT

SOKRVT Kapellmeister

This useless topic still going strong? lel

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. Blair Atkinson

Blair Atkinson Member

Man ..I hear it in that exact same order as well. To me Cubase Sounds Really Balanced and Abletons Highs sounds harsh. To me Fl Studio has this weird plastic type sound..Its not exactly bad but its noticeable, especially coming from a project In something like studio one or cubase. They all seem to handle VST Effects Differently like EQ,Compressor Etc.

5. Blair Atkinson

Blair Atkinson Member

Here is what I will say..I think some DAWs over others Handle Vst's Way better than others. If you play a unprocessed Wav File in each daw they will sound the same. But after years of using 4 Different DAWs My Mixes Come out way better in something like Cubase/Pro tools/Reaper over a Ableton.

6. Blair Atkinson

Blair Atkinson Member

7. Chris Wellz

Chris Wellz Kapellmeister

The subtle differences are just that..."subtle". Also, those differences aren't even paid attention to by the consumer this music is being made for. Your producer's favorite producer mixed and mastered a damn mp3 file and it's played on the radio. Do the hoodrats in the club notice the difference? Not even the DJ's notice. It's not their job to notice it, it's the engineer's job. And it's a job that one may even question if it's even worth knowing those differences. I've heard great records on Ableton, FL Studio, Logic, Protools, Audition, Cubase, Sonar, Studio One, Reaper, etc etc.

Just make music, have fun, get that bag and put pineapples on pizza.

8. loCurnus

loCurnus Ultrasonic

the best daw is always that where you feel comfortable, and simple tweak or put your ideas out of your head really fast.

9. Dell

Dell Newbie

Hello,
    I am sure that we all know that topics like this are indeed very subjective in nature.

At the same time however, there is a DAW, along with its companion application that when I first discovered it - it was expensive and it looked in a word, horrible. Once you get past those initial idiosyncrasies however, you will discover that RML Studio's SAWStudio and Software Audio Console are well worth serious consideration.

See here: http://www.sawstudio.com/

10. I hear dead people.

11. s'ma no acid krew

s'ma no acid krew Noisemaker

haha

who cares anyway, even if there were a differnce,.

12. Ted Smithton

Ted Smithton Producer

OK so then, those with the golden ears, please list the subtle differences between each DAW that you can hear.

13. Herbert Kotzwinkle

Herbert Kotzwinkle Newbie

Here´s my 2ct:
    It´s common sense that the differences between DAWs are noticeable when summing.
    Try 120 dynamic tracks summed in PT, Nuendo, Reaper,Logic, Reason,Ableton.
    My own exprience was that PT ,Nuendo and Reaper were the most transparent ones.
    Logic way less (probably due to inferior latency compensation), Ableton was similar to Reason to me, but better than Logic.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  14. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro

Actually it's the contrary - in this instance you can safely measure the differences if there are any. Relying on hearing is not a good idea.

15. Lambchop

Lambchop Banned

It's common sense that the difference between calculators is noticeable when summing. Maybe not when adding 2 numbers, but try adding 120.
    Like calculators, auto PDC either works, or it doesn't. Some DAWs have broken (more like "bare bones," rudimentary) auto PDC. Manual usually works.
    You might be thinking of something similar, something like this:

That's not PDC, just a lousy way FL deals with timing.
    Most DAWs I know are exact -- sample-perfect, let you "drag" any track/clip by a single sample, so granularity = 1 sample, whatever that translates to in time for a project's sample rate.
    Fruity Loops, OTOH, fails hard here. Time is pretty grainy if you wanna loop fruit -- measured in PPQ (pulse per quarter note, 96 by default), not samples. So if you want to move one clip over by one sample, you're not gonna have a good time (you'll have to pad one in Edison, the fruity wave editor) :(
    [​IMG]
    Again, this has nothing to do with summing or piling up 120 tracks.

16. Tabby

Tabby Kapellmeister

Next thread would be like - "Which OS has best sound? Windows, Mac or Linux".

17. Lambchop

Lambchop Banned

The OS War Thread?

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  18. Weasel

Weasel Ultrasonic

It is hilarious to see people actually believe something sounds different unless the DAW specifically does something with it (e.g. Mixbus). Do you know complex analysis tools exist? Do you guys think stuff like this hasn't been measured professionally or what? But sure, discard absolute irrefutable proof that they are identical because "it sounds different to me."

Some people hear voices inside their heads but how come the mic doesn't pick them up? Oh yeah, because basically, it's all in your head. Real analysis uses real data, not your ears, and that was proven to null (i.e. bit by bit identical, since it's digital).

If you really, truly, think that it sounds different, then do yourself a favor and verify it with hard data and numbers. Digital is, after all, just numbers. Or just take people who actually analyzed it for their word. Your ears (and brain) are your enemy here, sorry.

19. Lambchop

Lambchop Banned

You're not using the right mic. Try 120 real NOS U47s fed into 100% passive mixer into directly heated triode zero negative feedback preamp to... It's common sense :|

20. beatmagnus

beatmagnus Guest

In my case I've spent days in one DAW and was well acclimated to the sound, bounced stems and ported to Live and noticed a difference. Was caught off guard at first because I didn't expect to hear the difference but it wasn't anything that threw off the overall mix or anything like that. Has nothing to do with different sample rates, filters or anything like that since there are standard rates and settings designated for what I do. If a mix and master is done properly you shouldn't hear a difference in the finished track. When listening on KRK's initially the issue was pronounced more because of how the high frequencies are colored possibly.

I've spent the past 10 years sitting in front of speakers and working with different people's tracks and sessions in different DAW's, there is no way anyone is going to tell me its a psychological effect.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List