Zoom H8 Stuttering

Discussion in 'PC' started by ghostwriter, Jun 27, 2024.

1. ghostwriter

ghostwriter Member

I am using my Zoom H8 as a multi-track audio interface.

It was working fine for the first couple weeks. Eventually though (I don't know what I did for this to happen) the audio started constantly stuttering while in use.

I can't listen to any music, or watch any video, or produce any music without it stuttering every other second, and it's driving me nuts.

Troubleshooting this has been impossible. Very few people seem to be using it as their main audio interface, and googling things like "zoom h8 stuttering" gives pages and pages of people having trouble with "Zoom" the remote software, not my device called "Zoom".

Any ideas? It's already on it's most recent drivers.

3. Garamondo Furbish

Garamondo Furbish Audiosexual

does it use sd/microsd for storage? one sign of a corrupted or overused sd card is stuttering and skipping, the media is failing.
    I have a radio/mp3 player that I often use around the house and yard, after a couple years, the sd card craps out. Also my android mp3 player does the same thing.
    I've never had a problem with the sd cards in my zoom r8/r16/r24, but I only record on them until the card is full and then I copy the files to a hard drive and put the old cards into fireproof safe as backups. Cards are cheap especially if you buy them 5 or 10 at a time, sales occur often.find a brand you like and stick with it if possible.

well thats the only thing I know that causes stuttering on

4. ghostwriter

ghostwriter Member

So, I'm not recording any audio into the device itself, I'm using it as an audio interface for my PC. It has no SD card in it either.

Uninstalling the driver then restarting the computer fixed the stuttering, but now I can't use it to record audio into my DAW (Studio One defaults to "Windows Audio", and any audio that I record has noticeable latency).

5. Will Kweks

Will Kweks Platinum Record

First of all, I've not used a Zoom H8 like you do so this might be off, but a lot of time when you get stuttering or weird clicking etc. with audio interfaces it's a funky driver and a sample rate mismatch. Some drivers do conversion, some don't.

Check that that's matched first, maybe it'll help.

6. Legotron

Legotron Audiosexual

Also try with ASIO4ALL driver, if it stutters with it too..

7. Garamondo Furbish

Garamondo Furbish Audiosexual

run process explorer, look for programs, plugins, tasks, utilizing high cpu. Kill them or fix them.
    https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

your experience with h8 is not normal. check zoom website

https://zoomcorp.com/en/us/handheld-recorders/handheld-recorders/h8/h8-support/

https://zoomcorp.com/media/documents/OptimizeWindows10_E.pdf

we have no idea, what operating system you are using, or what your computer hardware looks like, how much ram do you have, what is your cpu? etc. its probably your computer not the zoom h8.