ZOOM G3 or Scarlett solo 2nd generation?

Discussion in 'Software' started by pelao, Apr 1, 2017.

1. pelao

pelao Kapellmeister

continuing with my noob posts, i have a final doubt: zoom g3 or scarlett solo 2nd generation?

My doubt goes through the di quality in sound recording, i read that zoom g3 has a 16 bit 44.1 khz in usb direct recording but in the demos recorded directly by usb the zoom sounds great. I know that scarlett have 24 bit 192 khz but in a video that a user post in another thread the scarlett 2i2 make so much noise campared to a di box and a pod hd pro. also zoom has sooo much better emulation of clean amps such as fender vox and marshall that i've never heard in a software, but my doubt is for the sound quality recording directy by usb. there is a difference between zoom and the scarlett??? help me guys

i 'am very poor to buy an expensive multi fx pedal or interface

3. dragonhill

dragonhill Guest

'Noise' can be anything.....cable, too close to computer etc.
    The Focusrite is not noisy unless you get a defective one. At least my 8i6 wasn't.
    What interface do you use now to compare software with Zoom?

4. Pipotron3000

Pipotron3000 Audiosexual

There is no obvious noise with my Scarlett 2i2 and a good cable ;)

If you want to be "better safe than sorry", i advice an additional good DI box.

5. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

I don;t understand this question. You are essentially asking for advice on a comparison between a budget guitar pedal with the added sub-standard feature of a USB interface with a dedicated audio interface. If it is to record audio, even a guitar, the dedicated audio interface will always give you better results if you understand what you are doing.

Relying on someone else's demos is dangerous as you have no idea what gear they used or what their knowledge of how to use that gear is. As an example, there are gain switches/knobs on dedicated audio interface and having it on the wrong setting/too high can introduce undesired 'noise', as can using budget or wrong cabling etc.

As for Zoom's emulation, in my opinion, Zoom are past their best stuff and were an intermediate player at best, and now fall more into the budget equipment end. Plugins like Guitar Rig Pro 5, Amplitube 4 and Positive Grid BIAS will give you way more realistic and better results than a budget Zoom pedal, especially when partnered with IR loaders and load in something like OwnHammer impulse responses for speaker cabs. Working out how to use this probably will give you x1000 better results than a budget Zoom pedal in my opinion.

I used to own a Scarlett 2i2 (first generation) and never had issues with it. I would ALWAYS advice using software emulation of amps rather than onboard emulation, unless you have something like a Kemper, which is going to be way out of your budget it sounds like. The reason I would always recommend this is because you then have a clean recording of the guitar parts and can switch amps and effects as you wish to try different things, even duplicate and run different rigs. This is personally what I do when using guitar as I usually duplicate the part as two audio tracks on my DAW and treat them as if my guitar were running into 2 separate amp and cab stacks. You could run them into a bus then and process the effects on the bus ifyou want the effects to be applied to both rigs. However, if you record the guitar in already processed, such as through a Zoom guitar pedal, you are then stuck with that low bit/kHz sample (which is what it will essentially be) of that guitar part that you will have limited scope to process further and will ultimately lead to frustration when trying to sit it in a mix with other instruments. This is my experience at least. However, I will caveat this obviously as the situation changes if you have tons of cash and a acoustically treated guitar recording room with premium amps, cabs, pedals, cabling, guitars and recording equipment, but that is not the situation for 99.9% of us.

6. pelao

pelao Kapellmeister

i reffer noise in comparison with a guitar di box

7. pelao

pelao Kapellmeister

i already have an interface and i tested all plugins with impulses and i dont feel that software can emulate a marshall sound like zoom, also i can use the zoom with impulses like in this video

8. pelao

pelao Kapellmeister

i post a video in this thread about what i mean

9. pelao

pelao Kapellmeister

i use a lexicon alpha to compare but i've seen videos in youtube with scarlett interfaces And it does not convince me

10. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Each to their own I guess, but i don't think that Zoom sounds anywhere near and close to Positive Grid here, and add to that the sample quality restrictions:

11. dragonhill

dragonhill Guest

Your Alpha to the Solo is a side ways move?
    How are you monitoring everything? I suspect there is some sort of mismatch going on.

12. pelao

pelao Kapellmeister

but this is high gain, i do not discuss that vst plugin are the best for metal tones, but clean tones doesn't feel good and near to the marshall or vox amps. Zoom has that, the clean are more brighter, i even use s gear for clean but i don't feel a close sound

13. pelao

pelao Kapellmeister

i will continue using vst plugins but i want to know is : it would be a difference between the zoom g3 usb direct and the scarlett solo?

14. bluerover

bluerover Audiosexual

Get both. I would never use the G3 as an audio interface. The G3 sounds great for the $$$ as a compact pedal with s***loads of emulated effect, cabinets and amps. Some of the amps and cabs are spot on!

15. pelao

pelao Kapellmeister

i am a poor rat kid, the thread is for choose one, not both :(

16. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Again, this question makes no sense in an audio context. It is like saying I want to go fast, shall I buy an F1 car or a lawnmower with an F1 engine bolted onto it?

The Solo is specifically designed to record clean, high quality audio samples from the input. Just like the F1 car is specifically designed to go fast.

The Zoom G3 is a budget guitar multi FX with a limited audio interface bolted on as an after thought. Just like the lawnmower is designed to cut grass and has the F1 engine bolted on as an after thought.

Both will get the job done, just that the one designed specifically for a purpose.will ALWAYS give you superior results.

17. pelao

pelao Kapellmeister

yes,i want to record in home, but vst don't convinces me at all and a zoom direcly recorded sound good.look the fallowing vid, i don't know if a vst sound like that

18. Anagnorisis

Anagnorisis Noisemaker

The video of ForTiorl you posted features a Gen1 scarlett interface as he also mentions.. Scarlett 2nd gen are really good interfaces, cant go really wrong with them.

19. pelao

pelao Kapellmeister

i don't realize that, how good is generation 2 compared to 1st gen?

20. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

How can VSTs not convince you? I'm confused. This guy knows his shit, has some serious top end gear and done a video on BIAS. Watch it to see if you can spot the blind test difference and the conclusion.

He does look at this from metal angle, but you don't need to get bogged down with genre when talking about modern plugins. They use IRs and matching algorithms and can match ANY genre or type of amp, whether they be clean or high gain. In addition, he discusses the variety of presets out there and LOTS out there will be of clean tones matching popular amps like Marshalls and Fenders. The likes of BIAS has even worked its way into pro studios, and no offence intended, but if they can convince pro engineers I can't see why they wouldn't convince you.

Are you sure you are not being guided by the marketing of "all the features" of the G3 rather than focusing on what is designed to give you the best audio quality? If I had a G3 I would record an A/B comparison for you.

21. pelao

pelao Kapellmeister

good video, so i decided to get a scarlett solo 2nd gen, but how good is compared to my lexicon alpha ? but i'm still confused about clean tones, amplitube has a good fender tones but zoom has a good tone too, but my doubt is for the clean tones