Zoom F4 vs Tascam DR-680 MkII ? (SOLVED)

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by phloopy, Jan 2, 2018.

1. kimikaze

kimikaze Platinum Record

2. kimikaze

kimikaze Platinum Record

I wish sometimes, but not all the time :)

3. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

Same here :yes:

4. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

You're welcome!
    BTW, do you need a battery powered setup or is a "portable solution" good enough?
    For me, nothing compares to my own recording shootout. If there's any chance to compare both machines hands-on, I would definitely do that before. I've done it myself several times (USB audio/midi interfaces), to find that I obviously have different priorities than some youtubers :dunno:
    BTW2, currently I record live using a Zoom UAC-8 and an iPad Mini with "Audio Evolution Mobile" as a recording app. 8 channels simultaneously but with full track editing and, I'd also claim, better quality than most portable recorders. Well, and I have to admit it's not as portable, although the UAC could definitely be converted to battery power :winker:

5. InTheMix

InTheMix Kapellmeister

Two friends of mine use the H6 to record podcast. Both of them told me about this annoying noise floor! That's just too strange. I've never owned anything Zoom before. I am in the market to get one but if the noise floor is that bad, then I probably should look else where.

6. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

What source are they recording from?
    Microphone(s) in M/S mode?

This might be the issue. It's worth to read because a number of users share their field experience there too.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  7. InTheMix

InTheMix Kapellmeister

M/S Mode? I don't think so. Just a mono recording in standard mode. (Shure SM7b) I haven't read the specs. I didn't even know the H6 had a M/S encoder. Thanks for the link by the way...I'm reading it right now.

Edit:
    Just called my friend right now and he said, with this particular mic (Shure SM7b) he had to set the gain on H6 to at least 7 to get an acceptable level.The recording was way too noisy, so then he uses the FetHead mic pre and that takes care of the noise problem. According to him this made a huge difference.

FetHead:
    http://tritonaudio.com/fethead.html

He just sent me a link to one of his podcasts. Everything is done with the H6, Shure SM7b and the fetHead. I think he only has a limiter on the master track. He doesn't even use EQs and stuff anymore.

https://www.brynneragassi.com/petererskine2

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  8. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

Hey, I guess I know what you're talking about. Got two FETheads myself, nice little helpers, although the H6 should be able to handle such microphones in the first place. :cool:

9. InTheMix

InTheMix Kapellmeister

What are you using the FetHeads with?

10. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

Got the Phantom version for condenser mics with builtin preamp that helps me reduce the input gain boost with lower-quality mic preamps. Less noise, more usable dynamic range.
    Today I'm only using it with the Alesis IO Dock for recording live on an old iPad running Cubasis and TwistedWave.

11. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

Thanks for all the feedback :wink::wink::wink::wink::wink:

So where did it all end up?
    I spend some days reading all reviews, tests etc I could find and my final choice is:

Zoom F4 - period!

Hope it´ll arrive tomorrow :yes:

Cheers

12. I own and use a Tascam DR-100 mk III and it is an astonishing machine, my only complaint being that the onboard condensers are inadequately shielded from the body and the slightest touch on the body of the unit is picked up. I don't recall any M/S in its huge menu of options but it does stereo with 48v on the base XLRs as well as anything I've used at 96/24. Four inputs? Very unusual in a hand held format.

13. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

I have the Tascam DR-100 myself and Im really pleased with it and I agree to your complains regarding the build in condensers and of the same reason I nearly never use them.

Neither F4 or DR-680 are hand held units .... they´re multi channel field recorders.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018