Zero (or Nearest Zero) Drummer Virtual Instrument?

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by mercurysoto, Aug 3, 2017.

1. mercurysoto

mercurysoto Audiosexual

The bottom of the rabbit hole, next to Alice's
    Hi, folks. The title says it all. From all big-name contenders (EZ, AD, SSD, Kontakt libraries, etc), which is a good-enough-to-track-and-monitor live midi drums recording? My computer can go as low as 32 samples latency in recording. I'd like a VI that won't add up a lot more.

Thanks for your input,

Peace

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  3. TW

TW Guest

I use AD for tracking - live playing. Good kits/Presets and easy tweakable for tracking. Stable, low latency. I often use the good old SD or ssd if I edit the drums and print them for further work.

4. Pipotron3000

Pipotron3000 Audiosexual

On the plugin side, latency will be minimal with whatever plugin IF you disable ANY real time effect (being in your DAW and in your VI) for tracking.
    They don't need big buffers, and i never seen anyone complaining about latency on any of them :mates:

To me ( a non drummer), Kontakt banks or EZD. I don't like AD sound (too "tweaked to death"). And SSD is too "cooked" (you need to cut a lot to mix them).

As Kontakt banks, i like the "feel" and price of those banks :
    http://www.analoguedrums.com/products/
    Up to 48 velocity layers on some banks :wink:

As a non drummer, it is easy to understand why i prefer EZD2 (grooves, multikits and such) :winker:

5. mercurysoto

mercurysoto Audiosexual

The bottom of the rabbit hole, next to Alice's
    That's a good thing to know. I usually record live drums with mikes, acoustic baffles, and the whole shebang, but I'm moving my studio to a place where I can't really get loud. I'm planning on using silent stroke heads or any similar solution, which will kill the vibe from the drummer, so I need a virtual instrument to give that that liveliness to the performance. Later on, I can convert the mic'ed strokes to midi and give the drums the sound they need. Thank you, guys.

6. outofnames

outofnames Newbie

SSD4 works fine for this

7. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual