Zen 5 9950X/9900X Reviews

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Zenarcist, Aug 15, 2024.

1. Will Kweks

Will Kweks Platinum Record

B450 is a decent chipset for older AM4 CPUs, true. Have one from the previous home build and might set it up as a home server in addition to others. But saying that B550 based boards are very decent for AM4 chips, I'd say Zen 3 onwards.

About lanes & storage, most of these chipsets and boards will kill some SATA slots if the second m.2 is in use. Mine does (Asus Prime B550), so if I'd slot another m.2 in, I'd have to drop two SSDs so it's a trade off. Maybe other people aren't as hoardy as I am and actually just use a couple of drives instead of my obsessive drive to stack up on the storage.

Just need to sort out cooling because these chips can get hot. For up to 8 cores of these chips you can make do with something like Cooler Master 212 which can be found for very cheap sometimes. Then get some Fractal fans to set it up in push-pull and it's a very effective solution.

Whoever said upthread about the longevity of AM4 was right, it's been solid for me for years now, and we can only wish this kind of success for AM5 (and eventually AM6 etc.)

Yeah, this is the shit! Just for basic use hooking this up to a NAS would be a nice storage setup.

2. mrpsanter

mrpsanter Audiosexual

I prefer to go with a Ryzen 9 7950x 3d which has a TDP of 120w. Safer bet.

3. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

I'd rather not, because lots of network gear doesn't support/like 5Gbe, 1/10 is safe, 1/2.5/10 is fairly standard, 1/2.5/5/10 is not always compatible

4. Will Kweks

You do realize that ethernet ports autonegotiate the speed (and other modes) as long as you're good on cables (category 6A I think), so connecting a 5Gb port to a 1Gbit does no harm, it just runs at 1Gb. And in the meantime you can upgrade your networking gear eventually.

5. MrLyannMusic

MrLyannMusic Audiosexual

this is very important to me, any more information about this?

6. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

yea, but then having 5GbE negotiated at 1GbE is just waste of money,
    for ex. Intel X540 NIC supports only 10GbE/1GbE/100Mb and nothing else..

7. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

Errr. Not really. It is the same cpu after all, only factory castrated not to reach the same TDP as the normal one. Thus lower all core boost etc. Unless you are a gamer or doing heavy scientific stuff for a living, that can use the extra cash. In all other scenarios, the plain 7950X is faster.
    Let's say for a moment the performance penalty doesn't matter. Why use the normal cpu and not the X3D.
    Because,
    AMD 7X and 9X series cpus incorporate ECO mode support. If you wanna slap for example your existing Noctua there and are worried about thermals, then you can set it in BIOS to keep thermals and power draw at check constantly. It's even more easy with the Ryzen Master soft and do it all in a few mouse clicks from within Windows. At the expense of a 7-15% cpu performance penalty. Where it gets interesting is the X3D cpus, they behave much like ECO mode is always on. You can -sort of- justify this, by turning ECO mode on with a 7th series X3D cpu. You will see that it does practically nothing.

I don't necessarily disagree. But 5gbE gets me excited and i 'll explain why.
    Ok. For the jargon first.
    A Multi-Gig port supports 100 mbps and 1, 2.5 and 5gbps.
    A 5-Speed port (like on Netgear switches) is an intelligent port that automatically adapts to the speed required and can provide either one of the 5 networking speeds: 100M /1G / 2.5G / 5G or 10G.
    Now, all network gear makers agree that 5gbE is a revolution as it costs practically nothing and can provide high speed to home networks and small businesses. But what about the 10gbE. How do i get there with my two "cheapo" 5gbE ports?
    Multi-port 5-Speed switches with Link Aggregation can combine the speed of two 5gbE incoming signals to one 10gbE and send it over another 10gbE port. Some overhead will perhaps have a slight impact on total speed but that shouldn't be more than 1-2% overall. I would rather spend money on a new smart switch and upgrade my pcs with inexpensive 5gbE, than getting down with 10gbE adapters.
    For those with a crowded home network like me, upgrading 4-5 pcs to 10gbE is an investment, whereas 5gbE is half the speed and a little over 10% of the cost.
    The catch is that all this is theoretical, i haven't tried any of this. And 5-speed switches are a few and expensive. So we have to wait a little bit longer for more 5-speed switches to become available. I'm sold on this though. Whatever happens, it will also be a good way to let those 10gbE continue dropping in price.
    Cheers

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  8. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

If you click the word chipset (link), you will see the differences between each modern AM5 chipset. Example:
    • X670E 44 total/24 usable
    • X870E 44 total/24 usable
    • X670 44 total/8 usable
    • X870 36 total/24 usable
    The chart also shows how lanes are assigned.

Additional lanes can be provided from the chipset using tech such as retimers and redrivers. This is more likely to be used on mid to high end consumer/enthusiast motherboards for additional NVMe & SATA storage devices and sometimes additional USB ports.

9. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

What @quadcore64 said.
    And this for some more detail.
    Untitled.jpg

@quadcore64 Retimers and Redrivers? Gotta admit i 'm impressed. I'd love to try it sometime, as of now, you are the second real person i hear talking about it.
    Cheers

10. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

Basically, the use of Retimers/Redrivers allow for extra PCIe lanes of the chipset rather than the CPU while maintaining signal integrity. The further away from the CPU, signal loss grows exponentially.

Just look at consumer/enthusiast boards with with 4 to 6 NVMe slots along with 2 or more PCIe x16 slots. Very common on workstation/server class motherboards.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2024
  11. xorome

xorome Audiosexual

Per HUB: Upcoming Windows 11 update performance delta at 1080p, 43 games average: +10% for the 7700X, +11% for the 9700X. 9700X now 2% faster than the 7700X, up from 1%. Ryzen 5000 wasn't tested, AMD says update will improve Zen 3 performance too. Intel tested only in a handful of games: Similar uplift where affected, no uplift in most games.

12. xorome

xorome Audiosexual

Per MSI press release: From September 2nd: 105w mode for 9600X and 9700X for the following MSI motherboards:

MEG X670E GODLIKE
    MEG X670E ACE
    MPG X670E CARBON WIFI
    MAG X670E TOMAHAWK WIFI
    X670E GAMING PLUS WIFI
    MPG B650 CARBON WIFI
    MPG B650 EDGE WIFI
    MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI
    MAG B650M MORTAR WIFI / MAG B650M MORTAR
    B650M GAMING PLUS WIFI
    PRO B650-P WIFI

+13% performance over 65w mode in applications.

No word on what this means for warranties.

EDIT: Asus offering 105w mode too now.

ROG CROSSHAIR X670E HERO BETA BIOS 2307
    ROG CROSSHAIR X670E GENE BETA BIOS 2307
    ROG CROSSHAIR X670E EXTREME BETA BIOS 2307
    ROG STRIX X670E-A GAMING WIFI BETA BIOS 2307
    ROG STRIX X670E-E GAMING WIFI BETA BIOS 2307
    ROG STRIX X670E-F GAMING WIFI BETA BIOS 2307
    PROART X670E CREATOR WIFI BETA BIOS 2307

EDIT2: Gigabyte is now offering a 105w mode.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2024
  13. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

62% higher power draw for 13% more performance? wow

14. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

15. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

AMD ECO Mode

AMD Eco Mode allows users to configure their processor to adhere to a lower TDP. For example, a 105W TDP chip moves to 65W TDP, or a 170W TDP chip moves to 105W TDP. AMD Ryzen Master and/or the BIOS will make the appropriate socket current and power adjustments to restrict power consumption as though the chip were natively designed at the new TDP.

AMD is transitioning ECO mode for the 9000 series into the motherboard BIOS CBS options. As this becomes standardized, motherboards may have varied support, which may be found in the overclocking section. AMD expects every compatible motherboard to support Eco mode.

https://hwbusters.com/cpu/amd-ryzen-9-9950x-cpu-review-performance-thermals-power-analysis/2/

16. xorome

xorome Audiosexual

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  17. xorome

xorome Audiosexual

Per AMD announcement: The 105w performance modes for 9600X and 9700X are officially supported with AGESA 1.2.0.2 and can be enabled without voiding your warranty. AGESA 1.2.0.2 also fixes some CCD latency issues.

18. Will Kweks

Looks like Zen 5 microcode and iLok are at odds: https://cdm.link/amd-ilok-issue/

Read the link for more details, but the main takeaway is that there's a fix on the way, further in the link this is AMD's reply to PACE:

Let's hope this doesn't fuck up too many systems, but than goddess for microcode updates, amirite?

• List
  19. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

Yep you 're right. I have to note here, to my knowledge which is limited to the systems i 've built and what i have tested and read, i assume this bug is a combination of Win 11 and Zen 5. I might be wrong but ...
    A client of mine, upgraded about a week ago from Ryzen 5 7600 (non X) to a Ryzen 7 9700X. He mainly does recordings with his band using a UAD X8P (USB) as main interface and has bought some additional UAD plugs along with the basic fx package he got for free. Actually, i was the one to install and authorize everything on his comp last year.
    So, i did tell him to wait for a new Agesa build and soon as this was avail for his Asus mobo (X670E TUF WiFi), upgraded bios and Win 10 Pro to latest and then switched cpus. He reported back all working nicely, daw (Cubase Pro 13) and plugs and the rest. He would 've noticed if something was wrong, because he doesn't use any other plugs other than UAD, Fab Filter and Cubase's stock ones. So perhaps there is a little bit more to this here? I am gonna call him back and see what gives. Waiting to see if AMD will respond swiftly on this bug.
    PS: And also hoping that godamm (TSMC made) Intel Arrow Lake will be good, because we need the competition up back and alive. AMD 's starting to exhibit Intel symptoms (a.k.a lazy king) hahah. Still too soon for Arrow Lake i s'pose but there are rumors of an October 24 release. Waiting... Also, reportedly Arrow Lake will see no refresh gen, they will move straight to Nova Lake after it. Intel's looking forward in making giant leaps in a short period. I hope they get it right for the sake of all of us, prosumers or not.
    Btw, the upcoming X3D Zen5 variants will now split the extra memory cash equally throughout the cpu's chiplets and this -supposedly- does not inherit the problems the previous gens exhibited. It is still a rumour but i saw a detailed schematic that leads me to believe it is a true leak. Which makes me think that we might see an "overclockable" 9950X3D? OC3D and Videocardz websites think so too. Now that 'll be something that will reach 250W easily, perhaps 300W hehehe. But hey, hit me with a 16core/32t that can reach an all core ~5.2 ghz with a fully usable 144mb cache out of the box and i am game. I guess we 'll find out soon enough :)
    An interesting read here:
    https://computercity.com/hardware/p...-lake-65w-specs-leaked-24-cores-5-6-ghz-clock
    Cheers

Last edited: Sep 30, 2024
    • List
  20. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Today is the Asus X870E/X870 motherboard release day.