Zen 5 9950X/9900X Reviews

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Zenarcist, Aug 15, 2024.

1. Will Kweks

Will Kweks Platinum Record

Ummh, that's peak power under a heavy load. Now, I don't know about you I try to limit those times myself.

2. Leonn

Leonn Member

Coming from an 12 year old Intel i7 3770 16gb RAM it's time for a new one and I'm gonna buy the 9950X as soon as there is a MSI x870e motherboard available.

Already bought:
    -. PSU: Corsair rm1000x shift
    -. CPU cooler: Thermaltake Phantom Spirit 120 SE (not sure if 9950x compatible)
    -. SSD: Samsung 980 pro 2tb

Looking to buy 9950x, MSI 870e mobo, 96 or 192gb 6000+ mhz DDR5, and 5090rtx GPU coming in Q1 2025.
    And of course a new E-ATX case, not sure which one yet.

I saved cash for one year and luckily i did not bought the Intel 14900k and Intel mobo yet lol.
    I almost did it 2 months ago but i was still in doubt because of this processor cooling issues.Luckily....
    And we all know the current huge issues with Intel 13 and 14th gens CPU's... I'll switch to AMD now.

Total cost of this machine will be €4500-€5000.
    The GPU is most expensive (€2000-€2500) and actually not needed for audio.
    9950x has on-board GPU which is already good enough for most users, so for €2500 you can build this bomb-machine yourself.

3. xorome

xorome Audiosexual

Yeah, I'd like more efficiency as well, but at least in gaming, Zen 5 hasn't improved. According to TPU and HBU, gaming efficiency is either flat or down from Zen 4.

So you buy a 9700X. Compared to the 7700X, it's 10-12% faster in single core (if you throw in some AVX-512 benchmarks), 0-3% in multi core, 2-5% in gaming. This while having the same gaming FPS/W as previous gen (or slightly worse), while also sucking a third more out of the wall socket at idle compared to Intel, while asking a 36% premium over prev gen (street prices).

The only reason anyone should ever buy a 9700X is if they're a non-gamer with some constant background load going on, so that the 9700X can play to its efficiency strength and move out of the "AMD sucks at idle" corner of shame, while also avoiding the Zen 5 gaming regressions.

(What's up with the wild increase in core-to-core latency btw, surely that's having an impact?)

FPS/W brings me to the (big if true) rumour that AMD is going to increase the 9600X and 9700X' TDP by 60% to match previous gen. But what would that mean for gaming efficiency? Can they find a happy medium?

More on the rumours: Per HBU, the Windows bug equally affects 7000 series, so a fix isn't going to radically impact Zen 5's relative performance vis-a-vis 7k. There's also the possibility that a fix will benefit Intel CPUs just as much.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

I just saw the 9950 reviews. It's terrible. Holy shit. WTF have they done...

Edited: I've read some benchmark numbers on Linux immensely better than on Windows. Let's wait and pray...

Last edited: Aug 15, 2024
    • Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  5. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

Hehehe... First of all i don't see any relevant comparable cpu with less power draw. The 10980XE there is a beast of the past and shouldn't be there in the first place, as even the 5950X is about 30-40% faster. The 3D variant of the 7950X is factory limited to a much slower all-core clock boost due to thermals. Why isn't there a normal 7950X on the list please. No need to answer 'cause it's rhetorical. Because it draws about the same power with less performance my friend. The 14900K exceeds power draw by 30% ... And did you by any chance see the other list where the 9950X kills everything in Blender? And Cinebench? And anything single core related?
    This also for my friend @Xupito .
    Well, AMD did fuck up in gaming and a few other sectors with their flagship cpu. Not because of what it is. I'd buy one if i had the money. They should know who's Intel's best friend haha. Because the neolithic bastards @ MS, raced to patch Windows a dozen times for Intel's perf/eff cores to work. And still they haven't managed to pull that off completely, talking about miserable lol. Nevertheless, AMD raced to release Zen5, knowing Win11 does not fully support them. Yet. But when you have Linux playing Windows games on 9950X and performing measurably better, this should ring some loud bells. Nuff said i guess.
    Cheers
    PS: I really don't approve this release tbh. Who cares what you approve you 'll tell me and you 'll be fucking right but i have to say they should release this near late November. AMD should know better. They went on to put the nail on Intel's coffin and got back "the revenge of the underdog", so to speak (or should i say the revenge of the old hag hahaha).

Last edited: Aug 15, 2024
  6. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

Are we not in audiosex? Wth is this obsession with gaming please...Do i have to remind that VST plugins use the (AVX) Audio/Video eXtensions ? hehehe... Plus everybody knows if gaming is your thing and everything else is secondary, the 7800X3D is the cpu to go for.
    I am wondering my friend. What good is idle power draw when the 14900K, even if it worked fine, is a furnace lol. Nothing can cool it properly. Only limiting it is nominal. And for all other friends in this thread, the photo i am posting tells it all. Because just cpu power draw is something that just does not belong in the real world. You will always have a pc full with a lot of subsystems not just a cpu for fuck's sake.
    Note from Vortez goes like this:
    "It's interesting to note the power consumption across all processors. Although they are using a combination of different motherboard chipsets, energy results can fluctuate between manufacturers due to the features and specifications that are integrated. First of all, for the idle tests the system is cold booted into Windows and no additional applications are executed - the watts are noted on the external energy monitor we use and then the system is loaded with 3DMark FireStrike - watts are again monitored for the duration of the test and the highest rated wattage result is then noted down. Below are the results of this energy test."
    Untitled.jpg

Last edited: Aug 16, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  7. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

May i ask which MSI would you be aiming for? Because by naming a specific brand you probably know their line-up. I am curious as i have built a lot of Ryzen pcs based on MSI and i am pretty certain that their best offerings come in the somewhat budget category. Specifically the Tomahawk for the B series and the Gaming Plus in X series. But for the X670E gen, AsRock's Pro RS and Steel Legend mobos have won the budget conscious buyers. For the rest categories, MSI's midrange is just not good enough comparable to other brands and their high end (Godlike) -although great quality- lacks feats expected to be there for the price of 700-800 euros that they usually go for. Also if you are expecting Thunderbolt you should know MSI is the least experienced in throwing support for it. Up to this day i can't recall a single Ryzen MSI mobo that has TB. But this of course is subject to change.
    For the "budget" build though, i really like this new ProRS from AsRock. Quotes because i expect it to cost around 300 at launch. 17 phase X 80A VRM means it can run 9950X with np, albeit you should have a good airflow case. I 'm sure all the other mobos will be more expensive, although i might be mistaken of course and i 'll be pleasantly surprised if i am hehe. But guys, just look at this backplate of the X870 Pro RS. It's as proper as it gets.
    Untitled.jpg As for the case i strongly suggest a Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL, if you are going for a big case. This has the very best airflow of all full tower cases and it's the most ergonomic. Only downside is it costs 250 and comes with no fans whatsoever. So adding some quality fans might reach 350-400 easily. In mid towers there a ton of good airflow cases. Hit me up if you need suggestions :)
    Cheers

8. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro

Seeing as idle consumption hasn't dropped since 7950X, which is already a furnace, I don't see myself upgrading to 9950X any time soon. My 7950X would still probably beat 9950X, due to deep undervolting and PPT set to 85W, while reaching stock clocks (curve optimizer at -46, SOC offset -0.2V, MSC offset -0.2V, ASPM on, no EXPO2/DOCP)
    After days of optimizing it, the whole desktop comes to 50W idle, and 130W at full AVX load and 240W at AVX load and GPU fully utilized.
    Not bad for today's standards, but damn, it's 2.5x more than my previous Ivy Bridge build. And buying "weaker" CPU wouldn't fix anything, because all AMDs idle around the same wattage mark.
    Intels tend to be better at idle, but worse at loads. Hard to build a power efficient desktop these days.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. muciones

muciones Kapellmeister

Absolutely nobody talks about noise and fans and constant noise made by high end configs and video cards. Indeed, seems like a gaming forum, instead of computers made for 100% stability and creating music.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. xorome

xorome Audiosexual

Exactly - this was a thought for audio applications. If you take out the AVX-512 benchmarks, single core uplift decreases, making the CPU less appealing for audio. Why would you ignore AVX-512 benchmarks for audio though? Because it's 2024 and 95% of my plugins (as well as my DAW) still do not make use of AVX one (2008 - sixteen years ago), let alone AVX two (2013). I can attest to this personally because I install and test every single plugin on a backup machine that does not have AVX1 support.

So how long until we're going to see broad (let's say 10%) adoption of AVX-512 for audio? I can tell you with an extreme degree of certainty. Never. Why never? Because remember Intel and their e-cores? The emergency brake Intel came up with to keep their runaway power consumption in check?

Guess what Intel cut from those e-cores: AVX-512. Too much space on the die, space needed for more transistors for general purpose performance.

So now you've got several generations of Intel CPUs that do not even have AVX-512 support. And Intel also happens to be the dominant vendor for consumer CPUs (and increasingly so btw, because AMD is following the money to the server / AI space (and I'm not blaming them)). AVX-512 is dead in the water outside of scientific / LLM / server applications.

Intel isn't completely dumb, they've come up with two new SIMD instruction sets for their heterogenous architectures (p-core / e-core) - AMX and AVX10 - but that's in the far-future. They knew what they were doing (to AMD and themselves) by torpedoing AVX-512.

The 14900k is a terrible product and I believe few people would disagree. The point was that AMD should do better at idle and at least match Intel (and they definitely can, see the recent Ryzen AI CPUs).

Your CPU was idling for 99.85% of the time you spent reading this post.

11. Leonn

Leonn Member

Most likely Tomahawk or ACE (if ACE gets X870e later stadium and will be around €500).

[QUOTE="At this year’s Computex 2024, visitors to the MSI booth will have the opportunity to witness two models firsthand, the MAG X870 TOMAHAWK WIFI and PRO X870-P WIFI. Additionally, a comprehensive lineup of features awaits users across the MPG and MEG series, ensuring a diverse range of options to suit every need." [/QUOTE]
    MSI ACE x670e (for 7950x i was considering) was €650 at Amazon but now they raised it to €813.
    I budget the mobo at €400-€500 max.
    MSI Godlike mobo at €1800 has no use for me, i will not even consider it.

12. dondada

dondada Audiosexual

dont buy now is def Right!

Looking at the Linux tests there is def some combination of
    Scheduler & def shotty Microcode at Play on WIN
    Because Linux is better at handling core allocation/scheduling

One could expect some of this to be remedied at a later Date
    Since, there was a similar Problem with the 2nd Generation i7
    and at least 2 microcodes where needed to fix it.

They obviously know how to do it, it might be even a bit cheaper
    when the 3d Variants are released later this Year:bow:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Is anybody thinking of going back to an analogue mixing console and a tape machine after reading this thread?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2024
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  14. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

I have a 32ch Soundcraft stored, if anyone's interested hehe...Good condition considering it's 25 yrs old.
    As for the tape, i love its sound but maintenance of the usual 24track beasts is too much of a hassle, plus tape is so expensive now i can feel my stomach aching lol. I 'd love a 2 track Studer/Revox though, just for a different type of mastering and listening to it of course.
    Cheers mate

15. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

Most, if not all reviewers are missing the performance & problems between different motherboard vendors. ASUS as usual seems to be where a lot of inconsistent behavior occurs.

Testing boards from ASUS, ASRock, Gigabyte & MSI could reveal more useful performance data.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  16. Leonn

Leonn Member

Exactly why i do not consider ASUS anymore based on the ongoing issues and very bad warranty support.
    See for example GamersNexus YT channel videos about it... ASUS mobo's overvoltage AMD 7950X CPU which resulted in death CPU's (€600 value) but ASUS avoids all warranty.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  17. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Okayyy, no need to be so alarmist... WHERE'S MY FUCKIN' ABACUS!!???

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  18. GeoffreyMcJefferson

GeoffreyMcJefferson Kapellmeister

Still happy with my 5900X. I think I'll hold on to it until AMD releases the AM6 platform. :yes:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

20. xorome

xorome Audiosexual

Per 3DCenter.org : Averages of 20 review sites (AnandTech, Club386, ComputerBase, Eurogamer, Gamers Nexus, Guru3D, Hardware & Co, Hardwareluxx, Hardware Upgrade, Hot Hardware, Igor's Lab, PC Games Hardware, Phoronix, Quasarzone, SweClockers, TechPowerUp, TechSpot, Tom's Hardware, Tweakers, WCCF Tech)

Perf delta, Anwendungen = applications:
    upload_2024-8-19_21-10-4.png

Perf delta, Spiele = games:
    upload_2024-8-19_21-10-53.png

Perf delta, generational, for the same number of cores:
    upload_2024-8-19_21-11-48.png