Zedd - Stay ft Alessia Cara (MIKEYTHAI's Future Bass Flip)

Discussion in 'Our Music' started by subGENRE, Mar 22, 2017.

1. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

Found this acapella on reddit and made into this

Heres the original.

Thanks for listening<3

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
    • Like Like x 5
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
    • List
  3. reliefsan

reliefsan Audiosexual

1st!

Super dupe man!

4. SyNtH.

SyNtH. Platinum Record

The sidechain seems a bit off on the kick, and overall it sounds a bit flat, but the ideas are definitely there. By flat i mean the mixdown doesnt let any of the growls breathe properly, it sounds like they have been constrained to let the other elements have a place in your mix. I think the atypical supersaw could do with a bit more spice too imo, its a sound thats been done to death and isnt that particularly interesting anymore to me. Its so generic for this genre, i think you are creative enough to add some spice to it and deviate. The drum transients are also quite buried, the kick espcially doesnt have that high end reinforcement that allows it to come through cleanly. Thats just an A/B between the original and your flip.

5. thantrax

thantrax Audiosexual

Thanks for sharing the acapella audio file. :wink:

Tempo: 102 bpm
    Key: G# maj

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  6. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

Thanks for the honest and raw critique! It is greatly appreciated.
    I make it a point not to listen to the originals when I do a remix like this, so all the influence and music is from me.
    All of my drum sounds are just eqed and compressed. I didnt use any transient shapers this time. I dunno, maybe I just forgot to or didnt feel like they needed them when I was programming and mixing them. But I never listened to the original track, so I had no idea how much top end was on their kicks and drums until after.
    This is the reason why I didnt make a visualizer video for youtube yet too. So I can get some more input from peers and tweak the mix.
    And again I really appreciate your opinions on the track and I will be digging back in and making some more tweaks to the mix per yours and Vons suggestions.
    I think I used volumeshaper for all the sc duties with it set on the shortest preset. Ill tweak the sidechains some too and try some other methods and plugs as well
    Thank you @SyNtH.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  7. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Mikey, try to put it trough something like D361A to add some weight to the mix and round it up with a Lindell TE-100 for a final touch up.
    Just a suggestion :) :wink:

8. SyNtH.

SyNtH. Platinum Record

no probs :D

9. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

Theres a d361a in the chain but I didnt bother to see how hot it was running (or not) when I rendered this out late last night. I will double check my chain tonight and make sure everything is gainstaged properly, after I address the mix issues.
    Never messed with the lindell plugs before. I think @Mykal was telling me about them too at one time. Thanks for the tips. I will look more closely at the lindell stuff just because I trust your discerning ears as well.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  10. Matt777

Matt777 Rock Star

Like it! In fact I like your production in general so please, keep 'em coming! I listened to the original before and it's hard to totally exclude comparison. But I even find your harmony more interesting than the "predictive" original one. (like the Bb minor to major move ;))
    Suggestion (more than a critique): as the tempo slows down (nothing wrong, future bass proof) it becomes harder to keep the listener's interest (esp. at the beginning). Maybe you can do something with the dynamics, or add/subtract some elements..
    Listened to it a couple of times now, kinda forgot the original - nice, but I know you can push it to be perfect! :wink:

11. TruBlood

TruBlood Kapellmeister

Nice Job! Is there a specific thread that releases acapellas on there?

12. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

Went back in and fixed the mix per @SyNtH. and @Von_Steyr 's recommendations,and tested out the te-100 in the final chain.
    In the mix I brought out the transients on the drums and percs more. Cleaned it up in the second drop and made room for the growls. Didn't mess with the saws tho. But will definitely keep it in mind for the next one to mix it up with my waveforms. I also switched out the volumeshaper plugs being triggered by MIDI that I was using for sidechain duties to just regular stock compressors being triggered by a tight closed highhat sound that copies the kick and snare patterns instead of the actual kick and snare sounds. This way I have more control over the release.
    In the final I hit the d361a a little harder to squeeze some more color out of it and threw the te-100 in the chain too, but only for the tubes and transformers flavor not the eq. Thanks for that tip. That thing has some real character!
    I updated the SoundCloud already, careful, Its loud and properly sausaged, lol
    Now to make a YT visualizer

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  13. Raffz

Raffz Member

The songstems subreddit is a good place to get acapellas, leaks and all that stuff end up there, sometimes with studio quality like this one, sometimes diy stuff, so be aware.

14. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

on reddit? yes there is

15. TruBlood

TruBlood Kapellmeister

Is there a certain section to bookmark for the acapellas?

16. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

17. reliefsan

reliefsan Audiosexual

18. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

And heres the vid for YT

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  19. TruBlood

TruBlood Kapellmeister

quality stuff man! Like the vid too ;) I notice the mix sounds better on headphones, do you mix on headphones? I know some people were criticizing your mix so maybe that is the culprit. I ditched the headphones a long time ago! make sure u keep making music like this and pass me that reddit acapella link when u get a chance :P

20. NicoDPS

NicoDPS Platinum Record

Good Job! :wink:

21. Medrewb

Medrewb Platinum Record

Eargasm