YT video with visible sqare pixels

Discussion in 'Working with Video' started by Hennessey, Jul 5, 2017.

1. Hennessey

Hennessey Platinum Record

Hello ya all!

I have a video producing problems.Since i am new in this world and by now i make videos for fun and myself
    i have tryed to make a BLAC&WHITE video for my song ,on small budget very simple,but until now i didnt know that this kind of video is actualy very demanding since my gear is very cheap for this kind of job.Well my footage was a quite noisy not something that i can not manage ,i have fixed that in post to some reasonable stage with NEAT plugin but what is happening.I m not cliping in blacks or highs just in a middle of WAVEFORM scope in premiere, because i can not relly on my eyes or even uncalibrated monitor i used for reference some BW comercial videos,and wih general picture i was ok since what a video composition i haved involved.But when i export footage with native prefrences as i recorded ,25fps 1080p target bitrate 32 VBR 2 PASS h264 MP4,and play it on many devices it is quite ok.but i make tonight a little teaser video for friends on YOU TUBE and FACEBOOK i have uploaded a small part of video,i noticed my blacks and and some shadows in general have some strange "cast" like big sqare pixels,and that is very annoying and noticeable to my tired eyes... Lots of unprocesed poor light videos didnt make that even some BW,but this where i was working very hard it is a huge problem,for some commercial YT channel that i have chance to upload it.
    Long story short,can anybody explain me what is wrong and how to manage that before i export my final video.Just to clarify that happens only on YT on my FULL HD TV,LAPTOP, MOBILE,FHD TV monitor except on my HD ready TV where FHD video is not so welcome in that native format i guess,there is picture worse than a horror movie.... I hope you get a point and i am thanking you in advance for helping me...i am desperate....and is urgent....

3. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

"
    visible sqare pixels"

do you mean visible macroblocks?

That's macroblocking.
    You may also be experiencing artefacts such as banding.

TO reduce blocking, you need to denoise.
    But to reduce banding, you need to increase noise. Basically you need the 'goldilocks' amount of noise.

YT does 1pass encoding.
    Vimeo does 2pass. Using vimeo instead would increase the quality without doing anything else.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Hennessey

Thanks for quick reply :) Since like i said i am not expirienced,and i am on a buget use my own camera low light conditions etc...I have already done denoising ,on my home mediums overal picture is acceptable but once i uploaded on YT in very dark areas deep blacks,shadows and some whites i noticed that blocks... My skills really sucks to be honest and i am giving my best but... One more question,how does affect overal bitrate of video for example,if raw footage is in constant 25mb/s bitrate what happens if i change that by some of my error while exporting ,and reduces bit rate and changes final to varialbe ,can that affect overall quality? Thaanks for helping me...

p.s.since my raw footage is a bit noisy,how should i increase noise if i do that i will completly ruin for me perfect takes which i can not repeat because of moment you know what i meat with that.i tried to recreate all but i didnt like it so i stuck with one main take of me one short take and main take of girl in video,,,she was fine because i was behind camera i haved a full control of everything but when i was shoot me well that was a pure luck to get a perfect take to my taste..like i said above video is on very small buget in fact nothing except good will and i hope good song...

p.s.s denoising is not what i know much about,so i haved denoising that 4minute video for 2 days... How pros apply denoising before cuting footage of afterwards when footage is edited...because on this i maked this other way i find it that is not great solutions even if my video is from 3 shoots with alot slicing.... Thanks mate :)

Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
  5. boomoperator

boomoperator Rock Star

Can you shoot again? Does your camera have a manual Iris/exposure function? Cause on auto, low light will raise the noise.
    You should actually manually close the Iris (or even better use an ND filter), and light the scene to get contrast.
    Denoising shouldn't be done on heavy compressed footage. Instead use an intermediate codec such as DNxHD or Pro Res. Convert your footage to one of these codecs, process, then convert back to H264/H265 for playback.
    Reducing bitrate too much will increase noise, decrease contrast and detail.

6. Hennessey

Thanks for reply... I can shoot again i tryed but i didnt get that emotion an motion idk,simply that very fist shoot i like best :) I shooted with Nikon D5200 18-55mm in Manual mode at 18mm 1/50 apperture 3.5 that is max on that lens and an ISO 400 i really blame a poor light and those kit lenses but at this time that is only thing i have a must deal with that. i Shooted i standard picture style ,when i shoot i FLAT i get even more noise ....here is a little example of 3sec i hope you can see and juddge.
    I dont know how should video behave in this light and scene condition is my footage normal or completely wrong... :)

Last edited: Jul 5, 2017