Youtube warning regarding adblockers

Discussion in 'Internet for Musician' started by Sylenth.Will.Fall, Dec 3, 2023.

1. pratyahara

pratyahara Guest

Sorry, but it's true. I've been using uBlockOrigin for more than two years, and it is the only adblocker that I use. I never pause it. In fact, I first learned about the warnings several weeks ago directly, when I entered YouTube.

2. Chaindog

Chaindog Producer

No, I meant if it´s true that when you clear the cache of the extension, the warnings go away again. But I recently changed to the other extension I mentioned some posts above anyway, that AdSpeedup extension. Just tested it, and it works really good. You still get Ads tho, but they are sped up so fast, you almost won´t notice. And when they are skippable, they will get skipped automatically.

3. The Dude

The Dude Rock Star

Assuming the information is right -

- In the third quarter of 2023, Google's revenue amounted to over 76.3 billion U.S. dollars, up from the 68.2 billion U.S. dollars registered in the same quarter a year prior. The company amounted an annual revenue of 279.8 billion U.S. dollars throughout 2022, its highest value to date, with most of its earnings being powered by advertising through Google sites and its network.

How much did YouTube earn in Q2 2023?
    It`s not that they are running out of money...they are just greedy.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  4. MaxSxB

MaxSxB Platinum Record

TBH, I wouldn't mind paying 5€/$ a month to get YT premium. I mean I spend at least 2h each day on it, would be fair enough I guess. But man, 13€/$14 ??? For just a hosting platform ? Hey Google, get your head down to earth again please. Literally Netflix price but without the production and licensing costs. Pure shame.

Now I'd like to know from you guys, how many here have YT premium ? How many would be ready to spend current price to get it ? If not, would you spend 5 for it ? I can almost guarantee for 1 person willing to spent 13/14, 3 or 4 if not more would spend 5. More profit, less impact on wallet, better popularity, maybe even better revenues for creators. I just don't get it.

I'd have 1 logical explanation for current pricing : they estimate ad revenue to be $14/13€ per month per user, so they priced premium to match the ad revenue lost. It seems a lot, even too much, but I can't see another logical explanation.

5. eXACT_Beats_

eXACT_Beats_ Audiosexual

I use Firefox, with uBlock as my main adblocker, but it stopped working for the YT ads. I found a workaround with a filter script for uBlock a few days ago and that worked until it didn't, and I'm now back to being locked out of videos again if I'm signed in, so I'm guessing they caught on to it? Maybe because the filter script was *posted on *YouTube? :rofl:
    I'm pretty ghatdam tired of Google/YouTube's Manifest bullshit, but I'm also not one of those people who're gonna bluster 'n bitch and make a show of some walk-away/storm-off from YouTube, or descend to some oldhead rant about how it's just a cesspool of uselessness just because my profile with my commonly viewed channels is now locking me out of watching anything unless I succumb to the ads.
    Seriously, people can bitch about how offended they are by YT all they want, but it's the same as anything else, be it online or in the (mad) real world, if you're smart about it, and know why you're their, you can get in, get out, and be the better for it—you know, adult that shit instead of playing the victim. I use it mainly for piano, drum, and guitar tutorials, audio product and video game reviews, recipes for homemade reptilian illuminatti repellent sprays, nature/history/science documentaries, ya'know, the usual whatever whatever... you jump in, jump out, pop the collar on your jacket and go about your day.

6. eXACT_Beats_

eXACT_Beats_ Audiosexual

Agreed. 100% ... cept for the "please" courtesy.
    Fuck anyone running Google, just on basic principle. :chilling:

7. Arabian_jesus

Arabian_jesus Audiosexual

I bet they just set the price according to the median price for streaming services (just slightly below the median). They can ofc dictate whatever price they see fit, but I don't understand how they think people are supposed to be able to justify spending $14 on a YouTube subscription every month. If they lowered the price to something like $3-5, I'm certain that the people who are using YouTube enough to be bothered by these intrusive ads would actually pay for premium.

8. MaxSxB

MaxSxB Platinum Record

That's the problem, it's not your usual streaming service. Streaming services like Netflix, Disney+, Paramount+, Prime Video, HBO Max, all of them actually produce content. Just some budget figures : Stranger Things (Netflix) -> $30M per episode. The Boys (Prime) -> $34M per episode. The Mandalorian (Disney) -> $15M per episode.

YouTube ? 0 original production. It's just a public hosting service with some creation tools, an algorithm to push content and ad revenue distribution. Oh, I forgot to mention youtubers very rarely live on YT revenues (except big 10+M subs accounts), but more or sponsorship funds and donations.

$13/mo for Netflix&co ? Totally. $13/mo for YouTube ? Nah. 5 it is or adblock.

9. Melodic Reality

Melodic Reality Rock Star

Right now I'm on the verge of not even using You Tube at all, there's nothing of substance really, seems like most of the content is tailored to newcomers, folks selling courses, presets, samples, whoring/shilling for free plugin or piece of gear, there really are not much genuine info to be found, clickbait titles and thumbnails, "trust me bro I'm making music for 5 years" and etc.

10. muse2love

muse2love Producer

this post is a proof that we are all slaves... ad block or not... all slaves...

I like to give and share but Google says no you are my bitch so... shutup eat your smack and.... prepare for total hell

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  11. jazzzz

jazzzz Platinum Record

FF with uBlock Origin + Ghostery + Nano Defender Pro
    No YT ads, no YT warnings by this date, never ever. And recently I have watched YT videos literally for hours every day.
    The only issue is the extensions I used to use (occasionally) to download YT videos have stopped working for quite a while.

The YT ads have forced me to watch videos exclusively on my computer instead of on smart tv or mobile phone. On smart tv it may be more comfortable, choosing the videos on phone and sending it to the tv (to avoid the cumbersome text input on tv remote). However, if I want to read the comments, via the browser on the computer is way better than on anything else.

12. ZUK

ZUK Rock Star

At the moment in FF with extensions I can't see YOUTUBE, it stays blocked. I've tried several things but no luck. Right now with OPERA, I can watch YT without ads, it skips them automatically!

• Interesting Interesting x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. No Avenger

No Avenger Audiosexual

[​IMG] Similar here, main page says YT history is disabled and shows no content at all, but as soon as I enter a search or a direct link to a vid, all is good. Don't know what they've been smoking.
    Seems to be connected to uBlock because it happens with FF and Opera (both with uBlock), or with script blockers in general, NoScript with FF and Opera's own, here. Weird.
    At least, no ads at all.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  14. alexbart

alexbart Producer

Using Brave browser, I got a couple of warnings yesterday that disappeared after refreshing the page, today it works without any other pop ups.
    Out of curiosity, I tried on an Android Box that I use to watch movies to add one of the Youtube extensions and it works flawlessly without any warnings and without any commercial interruption and it also works without the need to login.

15. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

Brave + uBlock Origin + PiHole
    :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  16. pratyahara

pratyahara Guest

There's no point in searching for patterns. Seems that, for now, they are testing us by shooting at random.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  17. Davman

Davman Producer

I use JDownloader 2 to download YouTube videos in Windows 11 and 10 and have done so for many years with zero issues.
    Downloading age restricted content requires you to copy a cookie into JDownloader 2 and you're good to go.

18. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Using Firefox 105 ESR, uBlock Origin and well trained NoScript. Firefox setup for all tracking disabled, using HTTPS only mode (making all your traffic SSL encrypted), Secure DNS only (making your DNS requests encrypted).

If I haven't seen this thread, I wouldn't have even known the problem existed. :wink:

Tip about training NoScript: use red flagged servers in uBlock Origin to "untrust" them in NoScript. I've been doing this for quite a while (couple years). The thing is sometimes websites react to uBlock Origin, so I turn it off and see if it reacts to NoScript. If you train NoScript well, you can turn off uBlock and get the same result, but no warning. I think all the nice security options in Firefox also help.

Cheers!

edit: it's Firesox 115 ESR actually.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2023
  19. genophyte

genophyte Producer

i swapped to https://freetubeapp.io/ a month ago and never looked back .

ghostery skips ads so far.

whosampled and discogs are fine with adblocks.

20. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

That looks awesome. I would like to separate Youtube watching from browsing. I have way too many "watch later" tabs. :)

Haven't got time to test it yet. Being beta... hmmm I hope it's a good beta.

Hey. this works and it works well. I like it. :wink: Even though I have no ads problems I'll use this for some un-distracted and worry-free YT watching. Thank you for heads up! :headbang:

Speaking of heads-up, I'm browsing Github and there are quite a few YT viewers-browsers. e,g, Minitube. Youtube-viewer looks good. But I must admit Freetube looks best to me. Smtube looks nice, too, but it's not being updated, shame.

Oh, I wasn't aware there are vag waxing videos on yt... :rofl:

Last edited: Dec 7, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List