YouTube and internet addiction

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by procrastinator2000, Dec 7, 2020.

Tags:
  1. procrastinator2000

procrastinator2000 Ultrasonic

I have lately recognized that I have a YouTube and internet addiction (slightly related to smartphone addiction aswell). It does not affect my work but it affects my free time and mainly my music production hobby. For example I rather watch (short) videos about music production and have a hard time focusing on my own music. Again, not really a problem when I work since then I realize that I HAVE to work, so I think it is something that is possible improve.

Has anyone had experience with this?
    I thought maybe try to use pomodoro technique or something, but maybe then I would start to associate my hobbie with work.
    Does anyone know any techniques or simple tricks to try to improve my behaviour?

Thanks!

• Like Like x 3
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. M McB

M McB Producer

I've definitely experienced this, I make sure to use app time limits on my phone and then if I'm sat at my desk there's more chance you're going to be productive and that works for me for the most part. But you can also set these limits on your computer, or if devices are apple they can share the limits you set for all devices which, for example if you put 1 hour max on Youtube, this will also apply to Youtube.com on the browser. Not sure if you've tried this but hopefully helps

4. kintozero

kintozero Kapellmeister

1) when my DAW is open, internet is off. I have my internet running through an external dongle, which I simply pull out when it's time to fire up my DAW. If I need to look something up, I use my smartphone, which I do not enjoy for web browsing.
    2) crosspost from another thread, I implemented this last week & it has already drastically improved my life
    "Attention Saver Tip" from a fellow producer.
    Little Tip on how to Hide/Remove all YouTube Recommendations:
    Firefox:
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/youtube-recommended-videos/
    Chrome:
    https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/remove-youtube-recommende/khncfooichmfjbepaaaebmommgaepoid
    - YouTube makes about 75% of its view time from recommendations... made out of your profile...
    - They are using every nasty trick to get some of your tasty attention to monetize...well you all know the deal...

Your attention is valuable. Spend it wisely.
    Cheers
    Here also a smartphone app for those who need Youtube ad-free & video in background feature
    https://youtubevanced.com/
    (Yes: it is legal to use it)

source: skankhunt42 & recycle https://audiosex.pro/threads/attention-saver-tip-from-a-fellow-producer.56458/

Last edited: Dec 7, 2020
    • Like Like x 5
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  5. procrastinator2000

procrastinator2000 Ultrasonic

thanks! i added the recommendation remover.

this maybe sounds counterintuitive, but does anyone use tracking or habit apps? or pen and paper?

6. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Turning off internet helps a lot but, then again, it's so useful...

For me this is The Rule: turn off every notification you can live without. Cell, browser, social networks, youtube, email, whatsapp...

7. Futurewine

Futurewine Audiosexual

among others cognitive control method i've by random chance encountered to read and learn is to understand what happen inside our mind at the moment.. something like 'am i currently thinking?' or 'am i currently daydreaming?'..

in short, to answer the question, the text provide a guide to differentiate and recognize between the two, that is.. something like:
    --- thinking - is when we need to do to reach/achieve something inside our mental image.. we have to think how to make it happen or get it done.. something like that..
    --- daydreaming - is simply when we let our mind wandering, no ends, no purpose, not to get something done or happen..

it's a technique that took me practices over time to develop and still learning to use it and sometime forgot to use it too because of lack of attention awareness during the time like lazy mode on and etc...

if I could I would program me a ruspberi pie with brain sensors and drop me an electrical shock as reward when it sense I'm in daydreaming mode .. at least as side tool to aid focus during work time.. haha

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  8. aymat

aymat Audiosexual

I'm just going to leave this right here...

9. Ad Heesive

Ad Heesive Audiosexual

"Social media companies are deliberately addicting users to their products for financial gain, Silicon Valley insiders have told the BBC's Panorama programme."
    https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-44640959

Your brain is a machine - you are nowhere near as much in control of your thoughts as you think you are.
    It really pays to be aware of that, and then pay attention to how you can be, and are being, manipulated.

p.s.
    I have zero tolerance for insane conspiracy theories.
    So, it is double fun to be able to point to the link above
    that sounds so much like a crazy conspiracy theory - but is absolutely not!

p.p.s.
    If you are crazy enough to believe that you are in control of your thoughts,
    try a bit of recommended humiliation and read about cognitive biases
    https://www.verywellmind.com/what-is-a-cognitive-bias-2794963