Your top Three Top Guitarists?

Discussion in 'Instruments' started by Montgent, Dec 30, 2016.

Tags:
  1. westfinch

westfinch Platinum Record

Terry Kath
    SRV
    Jimi

2. ClaudeBalls

ClaudeBalls Producer

Very interesting thread.. So many classics, also some real surprises in here.

It is interesting that so many of the favorites now were also the favorites way back when I started out (Decades ago).

At the risk of bruising the sun-shiny positive vibe in here, I am particularly very happy about some names I didn't see... There is hope for the future!

My three at the moment:

1. Michael Landau - Your favorite guitar players guitar player.

2. Daniel Lanois - Visionary producer, incredible touch.

3. Alain Johannes - Late at night almost every night he records a short looping instagram video very educational/inspiring https://www.instagram.com/nialasennahoj/?hl=en

(Honorable mentions: Richard Thompson, Marc Ribot, Keith Richards, Prince, Pat Martino, Lightning Hopkins, Steve Stevens, Slash, Billy Gibbons and many many, many others)

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
  3. realitybytez

realitybytez Audiosexual

i'm not a big fan of speed players. i like guitarists that can make a guitar sing.
    david gilmour, carlos santana, and jeff beck are the first three that come to mind.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List

4. Eric Johnson, Billy Cox, Buddy Guy, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Zak Wylde, Jonny Lang, Dweezil Zappa, Chris Layton, Mato Nanji, Noah Hunt, Keb' Mo', Henri Brown, and Scott Nelson. You should have seen all the stacks/rigs that were on the stage, a guitarists wet dream. It was a great show with all of them swapping in and out of the songs they covered with 3 to 4 guitarist at a time. As well as a solo spot for each one individually and even some really good 2 bar tandems. All of them were playing on stage for the finale. You should have heard the last note of the last song, the crescendo. You know the one Im talking about.
    And I have to say the playing style that blew me away the most was Eric Johnson, not only can he shred but there's so much feeling and emotion in his playing style. Dont get me wrong, I love Zak Wylde as well, he is a shred master but that's all he does.
    The best performance was definitely Buddy Guy. He knows how to work the crowd and he really does tell the story with his guitar.
    I like and can respect all different playing styles from jazz and blues to neoclassical and technical death metal.
    But Eric Johnson live is a treat not to be missed.[/QUOTE]

I saw Eric Johnson in the early 90's in a small club, can't remember the name now, supporting his new album "Ah Via Musica", standing about 5 feet from him as he played Cliffs of Dover on the most beat up and destroyed Fender Stratocastor I had ever seen.

Saw BB King at the Bottom line where George Benson came up to play a song with him and just killed the blues like he was a hard core blues dude and not the jazz great that he was. It was awe inspiring. BB was great in his own way.

5. Guitarmaniac64

Guitarmaniac64 Platinum Record

God damn it how could i forget Eric Johnson well there is so many good guitarists right now..

Georghe Benson is also a very good guitaristr with very good ear and that goes for Ulf Wakenius aswell

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
  6. DoubleSharp

DoubleSharp Platinum Record

Sounds like a fantastic gig. Benson is quite possibly the finest jazz guitar player alive. Wish I could've seen BB.

No one said Prince yet ? Fantastic player.

Ted Greene is one of my favorite players.

LOADS of useful material at the site dedicated to his memory.

http://tedgreene.com/

Always been infatuated/mesmorized by this,

• Like Like x 4
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  7. Lenny Kravits
    Vernon Reid
    Chuck Berry
    Robert Johnson
    Hiram Bullock

Just some of our brothers of color maybe not mentioned. By the way, Lenny blazes.

Lenny and Prince killing American Woman. Shit gets heavy around 5:30.

• Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  8. dragonhill

dragonhill Guest

How could I forget Ted Greene. Thanks DoubleSharp I still own Chord Chemistry and Modern Chord Progressions.
    The guy has a single page lead sheet he's improvising from....................amazing!

9. ptpatty

ptpatty Platinum Record

Danny Gatton
    George Lynch
    Brad Paisley

10. dragonhill

dragonhill Guest

Somebody did mention Randy Rhodes? Crazy Train solo is a double tracked master piece.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  11. grdh20

grdh20 Platinum Record

Hendrix, Holdworth, McLaughlin ... if I had to pick 3.

12. Jaymz

Jaymz Audiosexual

Nice one @superliquidsunshine ! All these you list are greats my man \m/ I have 2 old 45's of Robert Johnson an Chuck Berry ... got a few 8 tracks of em too >>> their not in great shape cause they got played alot been around lol... Love me some Kravits too man good stuff !

13. Montgent

Montgent Kapellmeister

Wow, I agree with all of these picks. I didn't think this would go so long. Great to see so many guitarists here.

14. The Dude

The Dude Rock Star

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
  15. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

@The Dude the rack behind the sound hole doesn't hurt the performance either.. :winker:

16. bernie marx

bernie marx Noisemaker

No love for Eddie Hazel?

Not one for lists by mine would include Eddie Hazel, Johhny Greenwood, John Frusciante, Hendrix, Ron Asheton (Stooges 1st records), John McLaughlin

I guess that's more than three...

17. Midge F

Midge F Platinum Record

A couple of loves for Eddie Hazel already. Good call on Jonny Greenwood, and, if I may, add another Johnny.

Johnny Marr.

18. Deatchclause

Deatchclause Member

Just wanted to thank you for the Andy Timmons Video. You pointed me in the direction of another favorite guitar player .

19. monk_mingus

monk_mingus Member

Interesting post.
    1) Kenny Burrell
    2) Wes Montgomery
    3) Barney Kessel

20. korte1975

korte1975 Guest

1.Dimebag Darrell
    2.Steve Vai
    3.John Petrucci

end.