Your favorite channel strip? And why?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Polymetrix, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Polymetrix

Polymetrix Platinum Record

Since I've recently acquired the McDSP 6050 and the Lindell Channel X plugins I've been wondering what are typical go-to-channel strips and why?

The Lindell is clearly not the "slap on everything"-type so I've added the 6050 (seemed more general purpose and was on sale). But since then I was intrigued to check out more channel strips as it will make things easier for me. I love the GUI of the bx_console SSL series and went on an expedition through the web about channel strips and in general the consenus seems to be: none. Some love the bx_console stuff others think those suck and prefer wildly different things and if you look at threads and reviews about the other ones you'll find people expressing their disconent...

So I simply wanted to ask you now: what's your favorite general purpose channel strip and why? No discussion(!) it's simply about favorites and NOT about "what do you think is best so that others can tell you why you're wrong".

• Like Like x 4
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. adsasdasd

adsasdasd Ultrasonic

Yes bx_consoles are great. Junkie XL uses them in everything. But I think these are very good as well.

- Universal Audio API Vision (Because UAD, so...)
    - Waves Scheps Omni Channel, SSL's, Abbey Road TG Master Chain (Solid)
    - iZotope Neutron
    - Slate Virtual Mix Rack (Perfect GUI to me)
    - Duende v6 SSL console channel strip. (Best Algorithm to me)

But my favorite is, Cubase stock channel strip :rofl: It is just easy and very integrated.

4. mild pump milk

mild pump milk Russian Milk Drunkard

My own orders built with plugins from my huge plugin collection. Extremely rare cases i use channel strips. For me, channel strips are several small simple processors in one plugin, such as preamp, eq, comp, gate, gain, saturator, meter... Why not just use advanced plugins for making your own strips?

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. famouslut

famouslut Audiosexual

Yeah, I use Cubase stock. Well, I would if I ever bothered to. I tend to want to de-noise everything. Or at least try to. I'd kinda like to know how noisy it is to use an all-in-one channel strip, vs individual, tho? I guess the answer is "it depends". (sorry / ignore me if this is totally banned discussion =)

• Like Like x 4
    • List
  6. Polymetrix

Polymetrix Platinum Record

@mild pump milk I do that too for the "main" channels. But if you're at 80 tracks or more you're in for absolute chaos if you build an individual channel for each track. And you can't just bus everything together and mix it (especially if you're a fan of layers or accents and elements that pop up only once or twice). It's easier workflow for the "fillers". If your music is more simplistic you don't need that if you're like me and always end up with a ton of tracks that need at least basic treatment you enjoy "all-in-one" tools a lot ;)

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  7. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

In Fl Studio you can save Mixer Channel presets, so building your own, including zero point settings makes a lot of sense whether you use an all-in-one or build your own.

8. voidSeeker

voidSeeker Kapellmeister

Cubase's stock built in channel strip is plenty especially the stuff in version 10...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

I tried both and use neither.
    The Lindell compressor is supposed to be like a 1176 and therefore more of a special purpose compressor. The 6x preamp produced completely unpredictable levels so a-b-ing was a pain in the a**.
    I tried all McDSP compressors and found only two of them halfway usable. All of the eqs lack bands.

I'd like to try the G and E channel strips, but so far I'm using none at all but single eq, compressor and limiter plugins which is in deed a lot of work when you have 80 tracks or more.

10. vuuru_keg

vuuru_keg Platinum Record

i like to rock the SSL E from waves, it might not sound THE best, but its super CPU efficient, which is important cus sometimes i literally put it on every channel on certain sessions
    which SSL plugin you think sounds the best?

• Like Like x 3
    • List
  11. wasgedn

wasgedn Banned

brainworx
    in this case ssl is duende vst i think

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  12. wasgedn

wasgedn Banned

13. Qrchack

Qrchack Rock Star

Slate VMR is kind of heavy. Loads slowly and just feels bulky in general. For channel strips, I like the good old Renaissance Channel from Waves or the SSL E Channel, also Waves. I'll still use VMR but for special stuff like adding air with Revival. Used to play with T-RackS a lot, too, but these are also kind of heavy on the CPU. Renaissance plugins do it for me, load very quickly and everyone has them so there's no problem with plugin compatibility.

14. Legotron

Legotron Audiosexual

Cubase own for neutral sound, for coloring Waves Schops, REDD, EMI TG12345

15. tooloud

tooloud Guest

42B584EF-0FF6-4473-BD31-B4FD094A75E0.jpeg

Acustica Audio Gold2 is as close to a Neve channel strip as I've found.

• Like Like x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
    • List
  16. lemjello

lemjello Ultrasonic

I use the Waves Scheps Omni Channel. Used to use the SSL, but, ever since trying the omni, I love it. Gets great sounds fast, can change the order of the modules, and it has a spot to insert whatever plugin you like directly into the Omni Channel. I've been using them across every track and finding that it works most of the time. Only after not being able to get a sound instantly do I reach for another plugin now.

• Like Like x 3
    • List
  17. digitaldragon

digitaldragon Audiosexual

+1 for Acustica Gold2. I run it on each channel, and the busses (reverb, drum, etc.) and one final one on the strip. It's got samplings from each of the different board sections all handy in the interface.
    But the sound it imparts... I love it.

18. vuuru_keg

vuuru_keg Platinum Record

is it cpu heavy like all other acustica stuff?

19. virusg

virusg Rock Star

I find myself reaching for Metric Halo Channel Strip all the time, it can be subtle, aggressive and colorful, has three types of compression, gating, and a limiter...so I end up buying it, thanks to AudioUTOPiA because it gave me the chance to try it ... also never liked McDSP stuff at all, at least the compressors of channel strips where all sounding the same to me, I couldn't tell the difference... TBProAudio channel strip it provided far great results than McDSP... Slate stuff is ok but pricey and that attitude of Steve makes me drift away from his plugins, also never on sale... Acoustica, I only have Amethyst and I don't like it, takes forever to get the results I want, it adds 120ms of latency and when you dial a button it takes up to 3 seconds before you hear what it does... never used the Waves stuff but I tried it and was impressed by almost all plugins... a bit of everything but I find odd making a channel strip just for 3 buttons and a preamp with Lows mids and highs, not even lowpass and highpass... still I think the greatest channel strip has yet to be done as there are so many things to add together on one plugin and it doesn't need to be a copy of Never or else just to make great combinations... I would add Omnichannel from Eventide and Neutron as mention... but you get it, it's hard to achieve the sound you imagined, maybe we are obsessed with too much perfection...

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  20. tooloud

tooloud Guest

I've never had problems with any Acqua plugins as long as I keep my projects organised. So I'm not going to place the entire channel strip on 12 tracks of backing vocals. I can break up the components to just use the compressor on that bus when I bounce. The fact that it consists of separate modules is a huge bonus.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  21. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

Gold 2 very often, also Pearl 2 and Viridian 2, for AA. They all sound dope.

I also like Eventide Ultra Channel. Very versatile. Great eq and comp.

When I'm not too lazy I combine stuffs. I'm often lazy.

• Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List