Your boy is getting a few pops and clicks every now and then with studio monitors...

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by ( . ) ( . ), Jul 20, 2019.

1. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

do you still experience pops if you physically unplug audio cables?
    do you still experience pops if you plug those monitors in different room, or different building?

it can be electric grid problems, PC grounding problems, damaged amp etc..

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

Tits, faulty ground does NOT produce popping sounds. Ground loop produces a humming sound in the 50hz-60hz range. You already said that when you move them away from computer monitor the noise stops. That is the problem. Proximity of computer monitors and modems are known to cause all type of noises in some speakers. If that is the case, a power conditioner is not going to help. Try to shield the speakers from the PC monitor. Also, use balanced cables and make sure all power cables are shielded. Sometimes the only solution is to replace the PC monitor for another brand.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  3. ( . ) ( . )

( . ) ( . ) Audiosexual

hmm, well it's a popping sound so its not a ground loop then and it is a dirty circuit like you have said from the beginning.

good, experienced call...

4. Qrchack

Qrchack Rock Star

If you have an audio interface with DSP onboard, like the Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL which I use, the buffer size seems to still have an effect, even without a DAW running. I had pops and clicks from playing things like YouTube videos disappear after raising the buffer size from 128 to 256 or 512.

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  5. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

What you stated is correct, however, the OP problem is not buffer related. Even with speakers disconnected from the audio interface he gets the noise.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

Use process of elimination to pinpoint source. Even a fluorescent light can cause that noise. If you can, you should try to have a couple of dedicated AC outlets from independent circuit breakers in the panel box just for your DAW work. In other words, you have AC outlets A and B. Both independent from one another, and nothing else connects to it. You can complement that with a nice voltage regulator/power conditioner, and balanced cables. I think I'm repeating myself here. :wink:

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. ( . ) ( . )

( . ) ( . ) Audiosexual

Thanks @The Pirate for the help, will look into it further and attempt solutions ;)

8. KungPaoFist

KungPaoFist Audiosexual

You probably already checked audio card driver updates? Are you on a PC? That would be your problem:lmao:

9. Gyro Gearloose

Gyro Gearloose Audiosexual

defect cables or what is this....forgive me..no native english

EDIT

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  10. Qrchack

Qrchack Rock Star

This. The issue you're getting is not pops and clicks, it's RF noise coming from your computer. DI boxes, isolation transformers, "hum eliminators", power conditioners, etc - they all won't help with your issue. Are you using XLR/TRS connections? TRS is the one with 2 black rings (the one on the left):

[​IMG]

If you're using the one on the right, your cable works like an antenna and picks up all the radiation coming from your monitor, PC, phone, chargers - everything. You get rid of it by either moving the speakers and cables away from the things which introduce noise, or by using the cable on the left. An XLR cable (= microphone cable) is okay, too. Just make sure it's XLR on both ends and not XLR to TS jack (right on the picture), because then it's a cable you shouldn't be using since like 1980s.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  11. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

Im not the OP but some of you continue to overlook the fact that the speakers are not even connected to the computer or audio interface. In fact, I asked him to remove every cable but power cord from speakers. Moreover, do you think speaker cables are the only culprits/fix in RF interference?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  12. Gyro Gearloose

wtf 1980s is bit to long ago yea

but you did mean just for interface to speaker connection ? didnt you..
    thats why have mics xlr only ?
    so devs should not use TS jack on speakers..wtf
    i have both options..

13. itisntreal

itisntreal Guest

i bought a pair of jbl last year and the tweeters produce some kind off white noise since day 1 i tried to uplug all cables except powersupply but the problem still excist
    and if i increase the volume the white noise does not increase
    i googled on it and i saw some people with the same problem and they said it is the built in amp

14. itisntreal

itisntreal Guest

one day i had a weird issue with my souncard scarlett 2i2 1st gen after shutting down my laptop
    i was sitting in my appartment and suddenly after a minute or 5 i hear some kind of tone so i thought wtf is that i walked straight to my desk and noticed that thee beep was coming out of my speakers
    so i downloaded a spectrum analyzer andimmidiately i got a spike at 6k why i dont know

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  15. Blue

Blue Audiosexual

XLR is better than TRS,because the connection is more reliable.
    But the most important is to connect your interface to your speakers via symetrical cables (3 wires inside the cable),with TRS and/or XLR (both with their 3 pins soldered to the 3 wires of your cable).

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  16. NeverenoghFun

NeverenoghFun Platinum Record

I've never actually had this happen and it be a electrical problem in a home studio.

Your always at 48K?

Pops and clicks just screams sample rates and buffers. Though I know youve checked them first thing like the rest of us would.
    But did you try Re-Installing audio drivers for both your pc and interface if they use one?
    The pops and clicks i feel you would absolutely know they were electrical coming from a circut. But who knows , Best of luck lets us know what it was.

im a idiot i went back and read the covo.
    pay no mind to my no mindedness please

17. NeverenoghFun

NeverenoghFun Platinum Record

They're watching :woot:

18. Gyro Gearloose

and we learned here short while ago ..the ground pin stands out 1 milimter or so...
    why didnt you exchange it ? but i guess you can live with it good.
    i have 2012 krk rokit 6 rpg2 (this was such a audiomedia advertising mkultra buy)...allready the round corners but their ok..bit bass'y but thats ok for me...but what i wanna say is with the steinberg ur and xlr/TS jack to krk , i have very low noisefloor..feel'ed none

:hillbilly:we all did this at least one times in our www forum life

is this not standart that they shieldet when you buy balanced cables at a music store ? i dunno if mine are shieldet..how can i find out ? EDIT i could ask them per email ..wtf :invision:but anyway would be nice to kno a way other then cutting cable to look in or so..

--------------------

i hope you did get along with that problem( . ) ( . ), youre tits allready hanging a bit , i can see from the nipples

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
  19. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

Bro read what I said, make sure all power cables are shielded... or grab a bar of Ferrite, and wrap the cable around it. I am not kidding. It does work.
    BTW, I was not even talking about the speaker cables. But since you brought it up, all cables are not made equally. Do your own research before buying them. Also, don't fall for the "if it is expensive it must be good". It is not so when it comes to cables. You have companies that have made it big time selling ultra expensive cables that do the same job that a comparable cable does at a 10th of the price.

20. Gyro Gearloose

sry to hot here at moment , tomorrow it climbs up to 104° fahrenheit

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List