you will never be famous

Discussion in 'Internet for Musician' started by fredboudin, Nov 6, 2019.

1. Meteo Xavier

Meteo Xavier Ultrasonic

I'd like to conduct a comprehensive takedown of the first post.

1. All skill-building requires an investment of time and energy and, particularly for doing art for a living, there is no guarantee of reward for that investment. That is simply a law of nature and it can never be changed in this universe. If you want better guarantee of having your work rewarded with money, you need to become a plumber, an electrician, a car repair technician or something almost everyone needs. As much as we say life is worthless without art, no one "needs" art the same way they need food, air, running water, working electricity. The risk is much higher and always has been. That's why the term "starving artist" has been around for centuries.

2. You don't deserve fame simply because you put a lot of effort into your work. Art doesn't work that way. You become famous because you happened to be the right person lucky enough to be discovered and broadcast to the public at the right time. You have "it". No one knows what "it" is, but "it" is what makes people famous. Even people widely disliked like Paris Hilton had "it" at one point. You might as well call it Fate because it either happens to you or it doesn't.

3. What's so good about fame anyway? Yeah, you get lots of money and you get the world adoring you and having sex with you, but anyone even remotely familiar with the concept knows fame has its price. How many famous people totally blew all their millions of dollars? How many developed crippling drug habits or horrible relationships? How many famous people have to have much more security to their finances and families because of sicko stalkers and becoming a huge target for criminals around the world? How many famous people get stabbed in the back by their former friends and family members wanting a piece of the pie? Go look that stuff up and you start thinking the celebrities who were only famous for 3 years are the lucky ones.

I quit wanting to be famous a long time ago when the reality of these things really hit and, ironically enough, my music career has only really improved since then. All you can do is all you can do. That really should be enough.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  2. Zombay Da Silva

Zombay Da Silva Member

What's lil pimp have to do with music?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  3. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

@Meteo Xavier
    All very well said, and all true.
    There's a brilliant coffee-table book called 'Toxic Fame', filled with quotes from every film star and music performer you can think of, since the birth of these industries.
    There are some brilliant and concise observations written in there.

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  4. RiffMaster

RiffMaster Guest

Wicked first post dude but i gotta disagree with that bit , i think art (creativity and expression) is critical for our evolution , just like Pinkmans timely post we are fucked without it .......................

5. The Dude

The Dude Rock Star

For those who don`t like torrents, I uploaded just for you...
    I wouldn`t insist if I thought wasn`t worth it...:guru:

The.Legend.of.Shep.Gordon.2013

https://workupload.com/file/vmHnmgs4

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  6. Meteo Xavier

Meteo Xavier Ultrasonic

Well, again, that's all pure subjectivity. That's "subjective" need which doesn't translate to "how do I get rich and famous doing music?" Music is incredibly good for the human spirit, but there's plenty of people who were born deaf and lived lives without ever hearing anything. Many of them did alright. Those deaf people still needed working water, electricity and handyman work around where they lived.

7. Smoove Grooves

Of course. But 'the industry that uses aspects of music' has no care for that. And I could definitely live without some of its offerings!
    But not without running water, elec, a dry home etc. This is the point he makes.
    And I know that the consciousness and awareness of creative types does affect our life and evolution, and yet it probably often is in various different, subtle ways, and which eventually can affect the whole. Or at least our immediate surroundings. Not least ourselves, initially!
    And I don't necessarily feel that the industry is the source of that; it's you and I being happier beings because we have an understanding of music theory, and maybe have expanded ourselves via pushing ourselves to learn our our instrument.
    The fact it eventually becomes like any other job is irrelevant when we enjoy it as much as we do.

8. RiffMaster

RiffMaster Guest

Yep thanx for that guys , agree with both of you , starting to get a bit too stoned and not reading proper , or roughly translated getting a bit deep for my self haha , me thinks have another smoke and re read tomorrow lol .................

9. Ellin

Ellin Kapellmeister

There is something true in what M.V.P. said...
    In an interview David Gilmour said he could not explain why they happened to be so big, there were many other bands and musicians as good as Pink Floyd, if not more, which were forgotten after a few years... The answer perhaps is precisely in the non-visible side of reality. When the Universe needs to add a new piece to evolution, it chooses one of the many candidates available at that historical moment, and uses it for its plan. The chosen one thus becomes part of history, even though many others could do just as well.
    When Michelangelo sculpted the block of marble from which he made "La Pietà", most of that marble was chiseled away and thrown away, while another part became "La Pietà", which all worship in the world. But was the marble that was thrown and forgotten perhaps less good than what was left inside the masterpiece? With music it's the same thing: some musicians enter in the magic circle, most of them remain outside, despite having the same value. All are good, but not all are necessary.
    And then, yes, it's also a matter of individual karma...

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  10. Smoove Grooves

@RiffMaster
    Oh, we are so alike, as I said earlier! :mates:

11. RiffMaster

RiffMaster Guest

Thats very kind of you dude , got it earlier off skytorrents but all the same hope people klik on it , well worth it ..........................

12. RiffMaster

RiffMaster Guest

Hahaha gotta luv it lol kindred spirits an all that , yeah it would seem so lol cheers bud :wink:

13. NeverenoghFun

NeverenoghFun Platinum Record

I wana say you maybe a little younger?
    I lost the assumption i was going to make money off of my music around 22 lol
    Then I stopped making music for the Money, stopped learning just because I thought I needed to and started doing things because I wanted to and because I truely loved doing them.
    Now I have a shot at making money from Music some years later... The worlds crazy like that man.
    No, Wont be famous, but if thats why your doing this, To me thats the wrong reason.

14. RiffMaster

RiffMaster Guest

Ellin Love the David Gilmour quote ive always said that when im playing at my best its the music playing me , i wouldn't have a clue how to play that well myself

15. NeverenoghFun

NeverenoghFun Platinum Record

You are spot on!
    Why did Six9 make it.. cause he new how to make social media twerk its cheap little ass.
    Your statements are exact..

If OP wants to get famous, stop worrying about how to actual do your craft and start working on Marketing.

16. sir jack spratsky

sir jack spratsky Producer

been there done that....you dont need fame...you need something to get up in the morning for.....fame aint it...i can assure you

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • List
  17. Smoove Grooves

Or "stop worrying about how to actually do your craft and start working on bj skills and anal".

18. Smoove Grooves

@RiffMaster Every ting irie wid tu sheng peng, bruh! :chilling:

19. RiffMaster

RiffMaster Guest

hahahaha where the fuck did that come from lol :no:

Nope google translate would not do that one but the little dude burning the fat one is a clue that indeed it was a positive post :rofl:

20. Smoove Grooves

@RiffMaster
    Haha! That told us oldies, eh?! lol
    Dayum. What have we been doing the last 30+ years of our professional careers? hehe.
    I wonder if we'll ever understand what he thinks he means?! ;-) He must be the first person to think this, and judge another.
    Give him another couple of decades, and see what he has to say about the given word of 'spiritual'.

Those who know the way do not talk of it.