you will never be famous

Discussion in 'Internet for Musician' started by fredboudin, Nov 6, 2019.

1. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

I 'high-five' that! Well done. We are very alike!

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  2. RiffMaster

RiffMaster Guest

Thankyou , im so fuckin old my mates call me Metal Monk hahaha ........... your post that ended with (Just need to think outside the box.) was your 666th message , you sure your not working for the guy downstairs ?

3. PopstarKiller

PopstarKiller Platinum Record

What year are you living in? nowadays bands pay to play in clubs, and nobody will come to your show unless you're already a successful artist. You're in luck if you're paid enough to have gas in your car when you go home.

4. metaller

metaller Audiosexual

I never see music as a way to earn money. If you want to, you should look into building the audience.

Well said: no one cares about your music.... :

• Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  5. Sinus Well

Sinus Well Audiosexual

As I said: Perfecting musical skills is only a small part. Most of the work is networking. Find collaborations with other artists, contractors, sponsors. An own brand must be created, consolidated and expanded. You are naive if you think that music business is all about making music. It's about selling. And that is, especially at the beginning, a lot of work.

6. RiffMaster

RiffMaster Guest

according to M.V.P. your audience is ready and waiting for you ....................

7. RiffMaster

RiffMaster Guest

Agreed , for me this shit really kicked off in Sun Studios back in 1955

8. Rainy Keys

Rainy Keys Kapellmeister

Its not what you know or what you can do it's who you know. It sucks but that's the reality. Plus, the software era fucked it up for the people who actually know how to play instruments.

9. Thankful

Thankful Rock Star

Start here and join communities of like-minded people.

10. farao

farao Rock Star

Don’t worry about it, you can always get a job writing clickable titles.

11. RiffMaster

RiffMaster Guest

Know where ya coming from mate but the funny thing is as you get better and more skilled you meet more people and who you know is a positive thing , plus im not sure the software era is a negative , shits basically the same as it ever was but the tec's changed and we move with it .........................

12. Smoove Grooves

If a band is desperate to play a certain venue in the city, the venue will often charge them with buying tickets to sell to the database, and yes, often it may happen when there is a loss. But one would play the venue for other benefits, so it's no biggy if you have to sometimes do it.
    But this is not the norm, and should not be accepted as such.
    If younger persons adhere to sneaky promoters or venues & club owners who rip them off, they are only shooting themselves, and the rest of us, in the foot!
    Don't give in to 'the man'! lol. You are worth more to them than you realise. Alcohol sales alone, when a band plays, mean it's well worth paying for some good talent.
    I don't even go out for less than a certain amount. It isn't going to pay for my time, travel costs, wear & tear on equipment, the energy I ate to be able to perform lol!, etc.
    So no; I totally disagree with your comment. But of course what you mention does exist, yet you have the option to give it the finger!

13. TaxiDriver

TaxiDriver Platinum Record

^^ This is the attitude is what's taking you down. Don't get me wrong, if we were sitting in a bar, blabbing about this and that and you said that, it would be OK (it's giving your opinion as a consumer). In the minute you sit behind your desk and call yourself a producer, you better look at the numbers, analyze why that "crap" has 500 mio views and leave your feelings aside as much as possible. You'll probably not be able to do what you really want to do.. quite the opposite. It's because you need money to get going.

Money Management Marketing

And consider things that others, like Sinus Well above already said. Make a plan. Then, when you'll get famous, you will have a better chance to make stuff that you "like" (I hate this word in a PRO environment though..).

On a positive side, I can tell you that I personally know people that "made it". They even weren't from filthy rich families or something.. Right timing, networking, contacts.. but they are also talented in what they do ..and a bit lucky, of course.

Although he has many haters (and followers), I have to agree with what R.B. said:

“No matter how great your product or service is, no one will hear about it if you don’t attract attention — it’s that simple.”

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  14. Smoove Grooves

Haha. Only just caught that. You talk like it's the norm. It's not.
    I've been gigging since the late 80's and haven't stopped. Nothing has changed "nowadays", sorry pal; it's still the same. People will always try and get something for nothing. Or better still, something for nothing AND get paid too! lol.
    So my retort to your slightly terse comment is "What perception, mental filters, and point of view are you living with"?
    Because it doesn't really tally with reality, from my experience.

15. RiffMaster

RiffMaster Guest

The Mighty Father Lemmy was always adamant it was all down to luck and talent but mainly luck

16. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

Okay. If you are really good in music, there most likely is a way to have succes. The difficulty is to find it.

The most people who try to make a living on a self employed basis (and a musician is kind of self employed) is they can't really market themselves enough. A lot of them think if they are good enough, others will some day "discover" them. To be recognized isn't always or should I say almost never a passive thing. We can do a lot to get "discovered" as a professional.
    Good thing is, that one can learn this self-marketing with the help of specialized trainers. Where I live they are connected to universities or professional training centers.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  17. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

18. RiffMaster

RiffMaster Guest

Perfekt brother , in the end its all about love , and the link haha Marley my saviour

19. garfinkle

garfinkle Platinum Record

I used to play in a US top ten hit band (they're still alive and well). After not being asked to join them for yet another tour (read: sacked) I went back to composing for film and television. I've worked on some hits and some total crap (such is the coco I'm currently commissioned to do) and I've been paid anywhere from high five figures to a promise (that usually results in less than nothing). I'm an ok musician and an adequate composer with the odd decent idea. What have I learned? It's a job. Good days and bad days. Pros and cons. I had dinner last night with a friend who works in sales - same thing.
    However, would I rather do anything else? Would I rather work in sales?
    Fuck no.

• Like Like x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  20. krakdhaus

krakdhaus Kapellmeister

whoop!... already am... well... was