You still love the dumb music that you loved as a kid

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by ryu_shiro_878, Jul 3, 2024 at 9:57 AM.

1. Smeghead

Smeghead Ultrasonic

Actually I'm more interested by terrible music I hated when I was younger that now I like. Like, I heard Electric Avenue on the radio today and it's as dumb as it was forty years ago but dang it somehow I enjoy it now.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2024 at 11:21 PM
  2. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

The soundtrack to The Sound of Music was something that I latched onto when I was about 5 years old and couldn't let go of when we as a family went to the cinema to watch it when it was released in 1965. I made my parents buy the soundtrack album of both this and Mary Poppins and learned how to use the turntable in our stereo furniture cabinet so that I could listen to it endlessly.

It's not dumb music though....

• Like Like x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  3. Auen Fred

Auen Fred Ultrasonic

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. Kluster

Kluster Audiosexual

This was my favorite album at 10 years old in 1966:

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  5. Auen Fred

Auen Fred Ultrasonic

6. westfinch

westfinch Platinum Record

What makes you think the music I listened to was dumb? Was I more sophisticated than you, or did you make bad musical decisions? There is a lot of music I don't like, but I don't consider it "dumb". Now, on the other hand, I do believe posts like this could be considered as "dumb". Just sayin'...........

7. Smeghead

Smeghead Ultrasonic

Everybody loved something that was dumb. Like, I liked the Banana Splits.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. ULX

ULX Noisemaker

I understand this feeling. All of us in childhood, for whatever reason, were exposed to music that we didn't have much choice in listening to or not listening to. Now this right to choose is more and the best option to avoid encountering music that doesn't suit your taste is to ignore it. Because if you zoom in on music that you don't like and try to convince the makers or other listeners, your life will end and no one will be convinced. We all come across a lot of music in our lifetime and keep some of them in our memory for various reasons. If we hear better music in the future, we will start comparing it with the previous songs, if the current song is better than the old song in every respect, we will create the belief in our minds that the previous songs weren't very good. If we cannot find a good song to replace the music of the past, we value the songs of the past more and sanctify them. All these feelings and decisions are related to the performance of current music makers. If the creators produce good music, we become more eager to welcome them every day, but if the creators give up on this, the old music will come out from the hidden subconscious of our minds again and force us to listen again.

9. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

My music wasn't dumb, but perhaps the shows that I loved back then were, and they didn't get much goofier than Lancelot Link!

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  10. Mynock

Mynock Audiosexual

Well, I think nothing can be dumber than tokusatsu films, but I still love those soundtracks to this day. And the funniest thing is that I don't see current composers doing something with this thematic and motivic quality. Almost two decades ago, I saw an old documentary interview (on VHS) with names like Kei Wakakusa, Michiaki Watanabe, among others, where those Japanese composers talked about the dedication and professionalism with which they delivered their scores. That's why I think it touches so many people's hearts to this day. It was done with a certain amount of emotion to generate empathy. Yes, at the end of the day, these scores were just products, but products made with impressive quality/integrity (short pieces that mobilize networks of musical pathos and diverse intertexts with a pragmatic approach that is difficult to achieve todaye ither because many composers think this is just outdated shit or because the market itself encourages the production of generic pasteurized crap).

Last edited: Jul 4, 2024 at 2:27 PM
  11. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

some of it, but not all i listen to as a young kid.

12. Guitarmaniac64

Guitarmaniac64 Rock Star

I was into music from Jimi Hendrix, Deep Purple, Nazareth, Black Sabbath, Sweet, Slade, Kiss, Uriah Heep, Elvis, Rolling Stones, Beatles and i still listen to them
    I didnt to listen to Led Zeppelin when i was a kid i discovered them when i was a teenager.

13. Recoil ✪

Recoil ✪ Rock Star

I only remember that as a child I watched a TV program with this music, there was still communism then.

And here is the modern edition.

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  14. Lad Impala

Lad Impala Platinum Record

talking about TV shows while a kid.
    i remember listening to B52's - Rock Lobster while watching SpongeBob SquarePants. Very cool song too

15. GoodnightKENSHIN

GoodnightKENSHIN Noisemaker

Yep, that's true.

16. Haze

Haze Producer

I hope you mean The Dickies version, it was far superior to the original. :)

17. Smeghead

Smeghead Ultrasonic

Well I meant the original show and the music in general but as far as the Tra La La song goes imho Liz Phair and Material Issue is absolutely definitive in my opinion! I'll check out the Dickies though.

18. Haze

Haze Producer

19. Smeghead

Smeghead Ultrasonic

Oh, you know what I do remember that one now... it is actually highly highly worthy but I like Liz's version because it's not trying so hard to be ironic :wink: it embraced the cheese.

20. boingy99

boingy99 Kapellmeister

We still like that stuff because we're still kids at heart.

It always amuses me when some big star artist claims that the first record they bought was something amazingly cool, when we all know it was most likely the Teletubbies or Agadoo (doo doo).

Yeah, you're all singing it now. :rofl: