You still love the dumb music that you loved as a kid

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by ryu_shiro_878, Jul 3, 2024 at 9:57 AM.

1. ryu_shiro_878

ryu_shiro_878 Producer

I came across a line today, the words reminded of a lyric from long past. It wasn't Proust's cookie but still instigated me to look for the thing. After half an hour of searching like a maniac finally found it. I spent the last couple hours re-listening to dumb shit that I used to love as a kid. This was after a morning of listening Horowitz's Carnegie Pictures at Exhibition, Beethoven's Sonata 32 & I still love it...I have the dumbest broad smile right now:hahaha:. If this was something new, I would'nt have let it ring in my ears more than a couple seconds.

You listen dumb stuff, than you discover good stuff & cringe about what you used to listen & after this you just don't care & after years you re-discover those dumb things & all the memories evoked with it. You still love them more than things that you even now consider great.

I can't believe how much I'm enjoying these hags right now:deep_facepalm::

Of course, this won't last. They're just not good, all that's driving this is the memories that with each next cookie will turn feeble till they'll again require couple years to enrich the quality again. Yet, this is great thing. Sudden remembrances and a blissful moment that must fade.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2024 at 10:23 AM
    • Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  3. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Never forget your roots!

4. Worn Soles

Worn Soles Ultrasonic

A concept I had not considered before. A kind of nostalgia refractory period.:chilling:

5. Haze

Haze Producer

The Beatles are my first memory of music.

The first album I remember being truly mesmorised by was The Snow Goose by Camel. I used to play it repeatedly, sit in front of the speakers and basically trip out at 8 years old

The first singles I bought were by Siouxsie & The Banshees, The Buzzcocks and Chelsea, progressing on to Sham 69, UK Subs, The Ruts and then Crass etc. All whilst being fed a steady stream of prog, psych and fusion from my uncle.

So, pretty much, most of the dumb music from my childhood still finds itself in the playlist coz I had such impeccable taste as a child. :rofl:

• Like Like x 6
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
    • List
  6. Auen Fred

Auen Fred Ultrasonic

errm....:mad:

but since i fonally learned how to work with notes in my time with scientology i only hearing my own music.period

• Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  7. Smeghead

Smeghead Ultrasonic

Sometimes. I've heard most of it enough that a few notes gives me the whole experience. And don't get me started on CLASSIC RAWK RADIO playing the same songs for 50 years. But when I hear, say, Switched-on Bach my neurons get happy.

8. justwannadownload

justwannadownload Audiosexual

30yo here, can't stand dumb shit I listened to as a kid. Won't even post it, it's just bad.
    However, it turned out that not all the things I used to love as a kid are actually dumb. For example:

Kinda fell off my radar when I moved on to the aforementioned dumb things but now being into synths I can all the more appreciate it.

9. xorome

xorome Audiosexual

Lots of music I used to like I don't listen to anymore, but I wouldn't call any of it 'cringe/dumb'. It's just music for a certain time & place, and I'm sure millions of people still enjoy it - good on them.

There's nothing to be won here. There are many millions of people out there right now, many very intelligent and very educated people, thinking that whatever you're holding in the highest esteem (whatever that may be) is the tackiest, most tasteless, unsophisticated shit ever.

Chances are, you'll agree with these people 15 years from now, at least in part. :dunno:

10. BlackHawk

BlackHawk Producer

1. I don't know what should be stupid with this songs.
    2. I was a kid when my kids songs were from Beatles, Stones, Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, T.Rex, Kraftwerk and such. Was I lucky? Weren't that music not "stupid"?

11. Smeghead

Smeghead Ultrasonic

Same here. My main rotation when I was little was Revolver and Bernstein's Petrushka... :winker:

• Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  12. Lad Impala

Lad Impala Platinum Record

for me is Paul Simon's album Graceland
    great album, still love it

edit: not dumb!!!

Last edited: Jul 3, 2024 at 10:38 PM
  13. dashfiss

dashfiss Kapellmeister

I still love many songs I heard as a kid, probably most.

Sounds like you dug some really crappy stuff tho? Oh well? xD xD

14. Crinklebumps

Crinklebumps Audiosexual

I find this thread highly offensive.

These were great...

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  15. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Audiosexual

Any person who loves music, especially a musician, should respect their roots. That suffices :)

16. belalugosi

belalugosi Producer

I still hate all the music I was listening in my early age because lack of souces then, overimposed in the 50/60es.

Example:

Right now, here my beloved artist:

Moral: always looked forward looking for music that doesn't exist (yet)

Last edited: Jul 3, 2024 at 5:43 PM
  17. Recoil ✪

Recoil ✪ Rock Star

Now, after so many years, I don't know if it was dumb.
    Yes, I still listen to it sometimes :lmao:

18. altair033

altair033 Ultrasonic

Brother, The Snow Goose album is my entire childhood. I used to listen to a cassette that I recorded from the original vinyl LP from my dad around 1998. And I still listen to it from time to time. Masterpiece

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  19. ryu_shiro_878

ryu_shiro_878 Producer

The song you linked is not bad & can be listenable easily in such a state. You don't hate anything or anyone, if it's really bad you just don't care & not be invested & ignore it. You hate the you that once was & you hate your act that what brought out by such people. Sharing such a rotten memory is the cause of hate and discomfort [which is mainly about you, you don't care how much wrong anyone caused you. It's you committing some wrong or acting in a way that you'd rather die than recall, the fact that they share the memory (which people don't care, cause everybody just thinks about their past) of you in such a wreck is making you hate them]. Then you generalize such people who'll likely bring about and force you in such a situation that once made you act rotten.

It all depends how you've turned out now. If it's going great & things have changed, you just don't carry the weight & forgive yourself & everyone no matter how rotten it was. I turned 20 couple months past & things are shaping good for me as of now & I've forgiven and accepted a lot of rotten stuff that happened in my life till now. Well, you can't get rid of something that's happened, so have a laugh bout' it.

Once you're past that, you can enjoy the song you've linked for such momentary bursts cause once you were a kid & you listened to such stuff & really loved (I guess that's what's important, the memory of you really loving it truly).

20. ryu_shiro_878

ryu_shiro_878 Producer

Not gonna lie man, you had better taste as a kid :deep_facepalm: Anyway, thanks for recommending a classic.

21. glassybrick

glassybrick Producer

I thought you guys much younger. Around 25