You really should get into LINUX ! ! !

Discussion in 'Linux' started by 0on3, Sep 21, 2013.

1. thedarkbird

thedarkbird Newbie

I have used linux reguarly for the past 20 years. There was even a time I entirely switched to it from Windows (but came back for video editing, gaming and music production). This year I've tried linux for music production and it works...HOWEVER, there are some caveats.

1. You should get a linux supported audio interface if you're serious about it; I have a Focusrite Clarett which is not supported, as a consequence I can not setup routing or other interface related settings (such as the 'air' mike feature).

2. Latency in Windows is better, no way around it; I can use buffersize 64 in Windows with no issues at all but in linux 128 or 256 is required (using Jack). I have tested this with 3 different linux distro's: Ubuntu Studio, Linux Mint Cinnamon and a barebones Debian: no difference at all.

3. I love Reaper but loading the linux supported U-He VSTs crashed it

4. I had the best results with Bitwig since it's a real cross platform DAW, but I had to disable its VST isolation feature: it resulted in latency spikes.

5. Setting up my midi keyboard was strange: one way it worked for Bitwig, the other way Reaper, but I couldn't get it to work for both DAWs. I forgot the details.

6. I'm pretty comfortable setting up various linux distro's and working with them, but if you're not it's going to take some time to learn the ropes. Sure, the standard Ubuntu setup is as easy as Windows but when you want to do more specific things, the going gets tough(er).

7. For 20 years I have heard people saying that linux is the best OS and that everyone should switch. Well... it hasn't happened, and realistically, it will never happen. So the majority of the music industry will keep focusing on Windows.

At the end of the day most people will use Windows because it just works, and in the end: so do I. Producing music is difficult enough as it is, people don't want to cope with an additional roadblock. Linux will always require fiddling, which is great if you're an IT nerd like me, but it's not for the majority. And I'm saying that as someone really liking linux :)

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  2. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

Are there meanwhile audio drivers for RME Audio Interfaces ? I woudl love to try BITWIG under Linux !

3. Pure Energy

Pure Energy Kapellmeister

I would love too learn especial the backend its what AWS runs on 001 I will contact you but first i will try the links
    and set up a old computer and start that way

4. Colin

Colin Ultrasonic

Just here to echo a lot of the points already made, having been around LINUX on and off since it was first released to the public back in the day, and writing drivers for the hardware I had back then.

Sometimes I wonder if instead of being focussed on warez, some of todays up and coming talented coders and release groups could turn their attention to help porting the Audioz community over to LINUX, (drivers especially), by making it a more audio friendly enviroment.

5. Delay

Delay Kapellmeister

Fun fact: the popular two DAW's Pro One and Live are built on the old linux qt framework, and can be switched to linux with little effort.
    Not sure way is so scary, lots of closed source software run on Linux e.g. Maya3D. Audio quality depends only on the audio driver and audio interface.
    Maybe start as an experimental and unsupported version.